Panic Attack and Misery

Discussion in 'Support' started by Elfin, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      hi guys,

Little while since my last post, but really suffering right now and need some community help.

My problem is a weird one, but no less weird than any other, I suppose.

Today, I wanted to have a shave for the first time in a while. I usually wear earplugs when out and about, so I took them out today, as the vibrations of the clippers really hum in my ears when they are in.

I put on earmuffs and went outside to my wife's mobile salon - to use the mirrors etc. I havent been outside without plugs for a long while, so even with muffs on I was nervous. I had my decibel 10 iphone app. I elft it on the side as I was clipping.

When I looked down, I noticed that the maximum noise on the app was 106db. I do not remember anything being that loud. When I began clipping it was 75db and the clipping seemed to be of that level.

I am now in a massive panic attack that I have been exposed to some terrible noise and that I didnt have my plugs in. My tinnitus is now roaring in my head. I cant sit still. I feel sick. My mind is racing and I just want to die!

Please help!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No need to panic. Damage occurs when a certain sound pressure level exists for a certain amount of time.

Take a look at this: https://blink.ucsd.edu/safety/occupational/hazard-control/hearing/limits.html
      You can see that safety limits for 106 dB is set to 0.87 hours (almost one hour!). I doubt that a few milliseconds of it would be harmful, even if you adjusted the time tenfold as a precaution factor to account for having a "fragile ear".

Your T is probably roaring because of your anxiety. I don't think you should be worrying about this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Next time, shave with a razor...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Thanks @GregCA - I keep trying to remind myself that with some earmuffs on it should be ok if for a few seconds of however long. Also praying it is an error with the app and measurement.

Added panic as I don’t usually go out without plugs in. Hoping to work back to normality eventually

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Thanks Bill. Had left it so long that it would have required trimmers and then a razor. Thought it would be ok with the clippers and using headphones. Maybe I was wrong!

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Permanent spikes are rare. Chances are that this spike is going to be a temporary spike. Most temporary spikes last less than a week, but one of mine lasted for over three months.

• Like Like x 1
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'm not sure that praying will be of any use, but I wouldn't be worried about it even if the measurement was correct.
      Like I said above, and that is substantiated by the webpage I linked, even if the measurement was correct, there is still no cause for concern.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The above is true for healthy ears. There are countless examples on this forum where people got spikes after being exposed to moderate noises for a fraction of a second. I got a three-month long spike following pressing a loud phone to my bad ear.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Alvise
      Lurking

Alvise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic Trauma in childhood with onset after 26 years
      Agree.
      I have spike since 10 days for a dish fallen and crashed in the floor.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have had that happen do me. Don't worry, it is probably going to be a temporary spike.

11. Alvise
      Lurking

Alvise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I feel also the ear a bit muffled, but only in the evening.
      First days after that incident my T spiked so I could not sleep for few days. Now it spikes during the day but goes a bit down when I am alone, in silence, on my bed.
      I am a bit sad because things were going good but this incident was for me an huge backstep

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Full ear sensation is the equivalent of bruising (for ears). It is my understanding that normally this goes away.
      This is a good sign!
      I also have had multiple setbacks. I don't think it is possible to completely avoid those. It is possible to recover from those setbacks, but of course this interferes with healing...

13. Alvise
      Lurking

Alvise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Reading Your old posts I read that is good to take prednisone. I was in a moment of anxiety 2 minutes ago and I took a 24mg pill of prednisone. I was stupid because here is evening and I heard is hard to sleep with predinsone

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In my old posts I had to have mentioned that prednisone is best taken within the first 48 hours of the incident. If you have spare prednisone, you want to keep it in case you will need to take it right after one of those micro-traumas. In any case, I wouldn't take any more pills, and let's hope that that one pill will contribute to your recovery.

As for not sleeping - it depends on a person. The first time I was prescribed prednisone, I took it in the evening. I didn't notice any problems with sleep. You might also be able to sleep normally.

• Like Like x 1