Panicking a Lot After a Car Beeped Its Horn — Is the Tinnitus Spike Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by orbiter12, Apr 8, 2017.

1. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      So I was out today at the skatepark and within the space of 15 minutes a car alarm went off for 15 seconds 5 meters away from me and a car beeped its horn about 4-5 times from about the same distance! My tinnitus has spiked and my ears just hurt!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi,

You might get prednisolone from your doctor.

In the meantime take paracetamol and a warm cloth against your ears.
      Try not worry, I'm sure you will be fine.

lots of love
      glynis

3. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      Was walking down a pretty busy street today, about 5 hours ago, with lots of traffic and some idiot decided to lay on his horn for about 15, 20 seconds. People were waiting backed up at a light so I’m not sure why this imbecile decided to press the horn for that long... literally the longest I’ve ever heard someone do that I think...

I was probably about 15 feet away I’d guess and had earplugs in, also tried to cover my ears with my hands. No spike I don’t think but my ears feel a little full so I’m really irritated and a little anxious it’ll be worse later on.

I know that in all likelihood I was probably only exposed to like 95-98 dB with the ear plugs, my hands and attenuation but maaaaan. Living life like this really sucks, makes me think “why me?” all the time.

Anyone experienced this, did you get a spike? Did it affect you at all?

I posted this as a new thread originally but guess it got bumped onto this one so sorry if you get a notification or anything OP.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you get a spike from this, it will most likely be temporary. The fact that you haven't experienced any changes for the worst yet is a good sign.

• Like Like x 1
    5. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      That is true, it wasn’t that bad really especially with protection I’m sure. My ears are a little full though, so I’m hoping that isn’t a bad sign. Then again I doubt it was loud enough to cause a delayed spike but who knows.

6. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      For me, spikes caused by car horns are temporary, always goes back down, relax, you’ll be fine.