Paracetamol Spiked My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pb1, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Pb1

Pb1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Dang, my tinnitus had lowered to the point where I could hardly hear it at all, then I took one Paracetamol Tablet yesterday and now it's come back again!

Has anybody had this? Please tell me it goes away again!

• Like Like x 1
    2. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Pb1,it's unusual that Paracetomol has spiked your T,it's rare but not unheard of.Sometimes drugs can do this but the good news is once the drug is stopped the T usual fades back to baseline,give it a few days and it should drop again:)

• Like Like x 1
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Are you absolutely sure it's the paracetamol? It could be a random spike that has no association other than the link you have made. I'm not saying it hasn't caused it, but it's easy to draw conclusions based on our own biasing. For example: what if you hadn't taken paracetamol and you experienced a spike? It's likely you would find something else to blame it on.

Sometimes tinnitus just changes, and the cause is usually unknown. Unless you reliably react to paracetamol and experience a spike each time you take it then there's no reason to believe it has done anything to you.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pb1

Pb1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Hi bill,

Thanks, I really hope you're right. It was basically completely gone and now I can here it squealing away again in the background. Sheesh I'd forgotten just how irrititating and debilitating it is.

I actually heard the thing increase in volume about 10 minutes after I'd taken the paracetamol.

I think from what I have now researched that Tinnitus is caused by the Central Nervous System playing up and I guess things like Paracetamol work on the Central Nervous System.

It's also bizarrely made my arms and legs feel very heavy. How bizarre! Hope this wears off soon!

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pb1

Pb1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Hi Ed,

I'm absolutely sure it was the Paracetamol unfortunately, the Tinnitus has been so quiet for about 2 months that I could basically only hear it in a quiet room if I really tried to. I took one paracetamol / Tylenol tablet and within 10 minutes the volume and pitch increased to the point whereby now it's like a high pitch squeal in both ears.

It was stupid really as the reason I got this thing was I had about 5 days of taking paracetamol, ibuprofen and aspirin for some pain, when I don't normally take any painkillers at all. The tinnitus started at the end of those 5 days. I assumed it was due to the ibuprofen and /or aspirin but it must have been the paracetamol that was to blame too.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Ibuprofen and aspirin are both mildly ototoxic. In higher doses they are known to cause tinnitus but it usually wears off.

Paracetamol doesn't usually have an association with tinnitus as far as I'm aware, but I suppose nothing can be ruled out if you strongly believe it has an effect on you.

If I was you I'd just ride it out and see what happens. Don't take any more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Don't worry too much Pb1 or you'll drive yourself nuts!Get a good rest and your T should settle down!I took aspirin once as I had no other choice due to a swollen gland in my neck that was making it hard for me to breath.I knew it was associated with T and the second I swallowed it my T spiked.I thought about it for a second and realised it couldn't have possibly made my T spike so quickly as aspirin takes at least 5 minutes to get into the system,it was me who was spiking my T by waiting for the aspirin to do it.Im sure it'll ease off for you soon:)

• Like Like x 2
    8. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Any update please? Personally I don't think Paracetamol is the culprit. Aspirin is more likely to be the culprit.

9. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Unfortunately I will have to say yes, in my case it did, I took 2x 500mg extra strength Tylenol within 24 hours, a day or two later I got a new low frequency tone - around 100hz - and more new tones followed in the next few weeks. My T is stable until I do something to aggravated it so I genuinely believe it triggered it.

I left work on disability this because of this, and nearly 4 months later it has not gone away.

10. Lulu187

Lulu187 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

I know for a fact. The T I got was caused by paracetamol. I got it 2 days after my last dose. I have never had ringing in my ears until 10 days ago. I am so stressed. Spent so much on ent and audiologist and they wouldnt help me. Do you recommend prednisone?

11. marko1103
      No Mood

marko1103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Start
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just to add my 2 cents here. 10 days ago I took 2x 500mg Paracetamol within 2 days because I had somewhat bad cold, 1 tablet daily and it did nothing to my T. I think it might also lowered it a bit down until effect lasted (4-6 hours)...
      My T is probably noise induced so I dont know whether that makes any difference...

12. Lulu187

Lulu187 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I took paracetamol the one that has codeine in it and i swear it caused the ringing because it happened just after I finished my last tablet.

Did some research and found that opiods like codeine are ototoxic like mostly all other pharmaceuticals.

Try pushing hard under your ear, does the noise reduce?

Everyone says it doesnt but it does

13. Chrissotube

Chrissotube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Poisonings
      Paracetamol causes an increase in tinnitus. It can seriously make it scream. I was experiencing this and really didn’t know if it was the paracetamol or not, so I waited for times when my tinnitus was subdued and took paracetamol to see if it was actually the cause. Yep for sure it is.

I also trialed aspirin and there was no change. There was also no change with ibuprofen, which can actually help if the cause of your problems is pressure of any sort, test by moving your ear in different positions and by adding pressure around the area etc.

The best thing I’ve found is amitriptyline. It dulls the nerves and also makes you a bit more tolerant of the annoyance. I swear it’s like a miracle sometimes. Definitely try.