Participant Experience: Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) Paired With Tones for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by labrat10687, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      The placebo effect is not something imaginary. The effect is actually measurable. There have been reports of people recovering from all kinds of ailments when given only placebo, even cancer. And they don't just THINK they get better. They in fact DO get better.

I sugest a google search on placebo, just so that you know what it really is.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    2. Bazz

Bazz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Hey labrat

I know you said you will not tell us about your results until the very end but could you let us know when roughly is the trial to end? Also do you know from them would there be any plans for other trials after this of it is successful or what route would they have to take to bring something like this to market and how long? Anyone's input is welcome
      Thanks

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      labrat10687

labrat10687 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Update is as follows. Stopped the therapy last Wednesday with my final appointment. Been at it since Feb. and for me there was no improvement either way. The therapy simply did not work. I do not know about the other people that are involved in the study. We will just have to wait until the final results are in to find out but in my case it simply did not work. Sorry for the bad news but I gave it(2.5hr daily therapy)my best shot and it did not work. Just thought I would let you know.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      @labrat10687 , that just sucks. I admire you for trying.

Any idea when they are going to release the results? Any idea when they are going to tell you if you had the therapy or the sham-therapy?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      labrat10687

labrat10687 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I was not given the sham therapy. I was given the choice to leave the implants in so that maybe later something might change with the settings of the therapy that might be beneficial. I decided to leave the implants in for now.

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Thanks @labrat10687 for the update. Sorry it did not work for you. Sounds as if most of these newer treatments in development VNS to Autifony and others seem to be hit and miss.

7. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Thank you for the update.

I knew it would not work...I mean jolting the vagus nerve while listening to your T sound on headphones? Naaaaaah...

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      How do you know that you had the real therapy?

This is the bad thing about research....you might just end up being wrong. To bad!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      labrat10687

labrat10687 Member

Tinnitus Since:

The reason I knew for the first 2 weeks we(30 of us)were either given either the sham therapy or the real one. After 2 weeks we were told if we got the sham treatment or not(I was given the sham therapy for only the first 2 weeks)then we all received the real therapy. I started my therapy in Feb and my last therapy was last Wednesday. My therapy did not work and we decided to end the therapy.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      labrat10687

labrat10687 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dan, If you would have been offered the therapy at no cost to you would you have done it?

11. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Very intersting in the pre clinical trials they all work they are all efficient. When the real clinical trail starts however it turned to be no more effective than plcebo.
      It is very commo scenario. What i am starting to think is that the money granted for this studies are just going to someone's pocket. No one care about helping us with T.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Pre-clinical work is often done with animals. It's no wondering it never ends up working with humans - our auditory systems are very different in many ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks for the follow up, @labrat10687. I had applied for the study but did not qualify. Maybe they can tweak it and it will be more effective, but maybe not. As I have said before, tinnitus is going to be a tough treatment nut to crack.

14. BrStan@

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

Yes Nucleo i agree on that. But VNS was done on a small group of humans as far as i remember it was on 10 people. 4 of them had some reduction and the other 6 did not. The latest one did not have because they have been on on some meds which somehow stop the brain plasticity. Absolutely BS mate.

• Like Like x 1
    15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yup lol

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Having directly interacted with a number of compassionate, interested researchers who are literally dedicating their professional lives to trying to understand and improve treatments for this condition, I assure you that you are mistaken.

• Like Like x 1
    17. BrStan@

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

I pray to be wrong .But when they are so dedicated what's their findings?

18. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      No actual results have been released....we have to wait. The resuls from @labrat10687 are dissapointing. But calling the research a bunch of asses that are just filling their pockets is way way over the line.

19. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      This doesn't seem to add up with the trial study website :

Detailed Description:
      Patients who have moderate to severe tinnitus, at least one year post diagnosis, may enroll. All patients will be implanted and randomized to one of two groups:
      • a group receiving VNS paired with tones and;
      • a group that receives VNS and tones, but with different settings.
      After device use training, therapy is delivered at home by the patient for 6 weeks. Patients have eight baseline audiometric assessments along with two questionnaire assessments, an assessment after recovery before treatment starts, and tinnitus assessments every two weeks during therapy through the 6 week randomized portion of the study. After the randomized portion, all patients receive VNS paired with tones. Patients will continue to return for quarterly visits and tinnitus assessments through the first year after implant, regardless of their therapy status. Interested patients can continue to receive longer-term treatment after the first year. A goal of up to 30 patients enrolled and implanted across four sites is planned for this study.​

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I will say that there is a group out tinnitus free mice and chinchillas out there thanks to VNS

article-2152812-136405B6000005DC-133_634x543.jpg

21. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013

The sad thing about research, like that of Kilgard with VNS, you might end up being wrong completely. To me that does not equal "money wasted".

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. lost horizons

lost horizons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Micro transponder is doing additional fund raising and is planning to roll out their product for tinnitus in europe in 2016. They claim that their treatment is promising.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    23. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Uhm....lets see the results. I support them....about 10 whooping euro's a month....:D. Still would like to see the results.

24. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Looks to invasive... they cut your breast and neck, and put thing inside of u, than u need to listen some music for a weeks, and maybe just maybe u will have some % of relief...

25. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It is expected that this treatement begins this month for the general public but as we see the clinical results are not even published
      upload_2015-8-17_9-9-56.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      Guess VNS is pretty busted for people with extreme T, who also have hyperacusis which prevents them from listening hours to some white noise...hmmm

27. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Any source on that?

28. BrStan@

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

This is a common practice as we already see something similar with AC Neuromodulation. They did not reveal their results when the independent study found it was not more effective then a placebo. Here is the some story we will not see the results due to the some reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    30. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Well, that is hardly a state that has any real meaning. basically it is a one year old prediction that it could be possible. This is by no means a press release about a commercial release of the product this month.

The study is not officially finisched.......just do not jump to conclusions......despite the fact Labrats results where...well...non existant.

I truly do not like the way poeple try to say: the research was negative but they will sell it anyway to get rich.

• Agree Agree x 1