Pavlov

Discussion in 'Support' started by CantHearUknockin, Mar 5, 2018.

1. CantHearUknockin

CantHearUknockin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi all of you silence amateurs.

I'm trying to find some sort of bio hack, DIY style, to figure out how to focus less on the tinnitus.
      As we can all agree, there is a huge link between the volume and invasion of you tinnitus and how much importance you give to it. Those who have worked on it will agree.

Though I would like to try something else, along the lines of the pavlov experiment. For those who don't know about him, google it, it's fascinating.

I would like to use my brains elasticity to purposely forget about my tinnitus. What if I had a little device on my wrist that I could press and that would deliver a little electric shock everytime I am knowingly thinking about my tinnitus.

Would it create a negative association with tinnitus?
      Or would I stop thinking about my tinnitus in fear of the consequence of the shock.

That's the million dollar question.

I'm not takling 1 million volt. Just something strong enough to condition you.

Anyway, i'm curious to know about your thoughts in the replies !!! ;)

I thought of that while stumbling on this product that I thought was stupid. But in my case, as a man suffering with tinnitus, I thought why not. http://pavlok.com

• Like Like x 1
    2. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Put a rubber band on your wrist and snap that, low tech but will deliver the negative association you are looking for at no cost.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CantHearUknockin

CantHearUknockin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Other alternative yep.
      Do you do it ? Does it work ? Is it good enough ?

4. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I don't but am aware of the technique.

5. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      The rubber band technique, or any painful methods, of stopping negative thoughts and behaviors has been disproved as an option for people with OCD. I do not know if it's any good for those without OCD.

6. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      How about the exact opposite, which is create a positive state of mind when confronted with tinnitus? I read one person's technique of using a frequency matched to his tinnitus. He listened to both the electronic sound and his tinnitus while enjoying food and doing other pleasurable activities. The idea is to trick the brain's neurotransmitters into loving the tinnitus. It worked for him in three months.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CantHearUknockin

CantHearUknockin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      It's another solution I didn't think of either actually.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CantHearUknockin

CantHearUknockin Member

Tinnitus Since:
    10. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      So you are trying to punish yourself anytime you think about your tinnitus. To make such a device, i do not think is difficult, but after you will make one when you will think: oh, no, now i have to electrocute myself because i thought about this tinnitus that i have. This will not make you love your tinnitus, but hate it even more.
      Doing something pleasurable when you think about your tinnitus like enjoying a snack will only make you obese. Ask me about it. When i got tinnitus i was slim, and now i am seriously overweight. I became an emotional eater, i eat when i am desperate, not when i am really hungry.
      But what other activities that are easy to engage in would be, to do when you think about tinnitus, to distract you from it?
      Something quick and handy.
      Members of the forum, you, smart people, i am waiting for any ideas. (Lighting a cigarette is not an option, i wound up having asthma attacks because of that).