People with 0% Emotional Response to Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario martz, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Oh yeah these guys definitely wearing protection. Its interesting that the sound for these guys on stage is alot lower than what the audience is getting yet no one thinks to seriously warn the crowds about protection despite the fact that the musicians are protecting and also getting a lower sound.

I was watching some clips of metallica at there recent show at the new US bank stadium which incidently is very loud going by reports such as this one.
      http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/08/24/acoustics-us-bank-stadium/

• Like Like x 1
    2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      My spouse has T from years of working in nightclubs. We are talking 8 hour shifts, full time insane levels of noise, screaming in ears to hear each other for years on end. Still to this day she visits night clubs (no ear protection) with zero worsening. She has minor T (can hear it when it's quiet) along with maybe slight hearing loss. Just becasue you have a little ear ringing, doesn't mean it's going to get worse around noise. If she manages to poison herself with ototoxic drugs, rupture her ear drums and hit up a club shortly after (like I did) maybe she won't be so lucky. I think if your ears are fairly healthy, you don't have H or any other ear symptoms, you can definitely go years without worsening or even ever getting real T.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Thats actually pretty awesome, i wonder whats the science behind this type of the cases.
      i read somewhere about someone with "minor t" that wouldnt get after loud music exposure.
      but still it would be risky to find out... have read many horror stories.
      so no thanks. but good for the people with that kind of tinnitus.
      for me, with this level of t that fluctuates from mild to moderate, whats more bothering is the need to have to avoid loud places rather than the annoying sound itself.

but of course thats just me, not saying that its not annoying or bothering.
      just my case.

4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I had mild tinnitus for around 10 years or more and one loud gig (I'm guessing) made mine a lot worse.

It's a weird and unpredictable beast.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      It was no big deal when it was just a whistle and I was on anti depressants which numbed me (terrible feeling). Now after time, benzos, noise trauma, and stress it got worse. Although, the past 2 months I did okay. If I can get some of the static and tone to go down I am usually okay.

6. Hunszi
      Alone

Hunszi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 (got worse in 20,21)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Mario martz You read my story yesterday in the other post, so yes...I was a person like this. For 8 years I had zero emotional response to my T even though 2 years from the 8 I had significantly louder T. I just didn`t care a single second. Man those were the great days. I could drift my attention from my T in an instance. For example: I`m sitting in front of my PC, the music stops and I can hear my T...then ooo there is a new photo on facebook of my firend let`s hit a comment and BAM my focus drifted away from T. The T for me back then was like a clock thicking. I heard it almost every single hour but It just didn`t bothered me. 2 years ago my mom developed T in one of her ear, she asked me how can I bear this? and I was like...ohh this? this is nothing, don`t worry about it. I guess that was a hint from above that hey you should check what`s T...since I didn`t know for 8 years why my ears are ringing and I was 100% okay with it, so I haven`t made any research. Maybe half a year passed and I had my disastrous increase with H and pain. Ironic huh?

If I think back I had my warning signs, but I was completely okay with T so they haven`t alerted my spidy senses. For example...In the last 2 years from the 8 I could hear my T above the TV sometimes (in the earlier era, the TV completely masked out). After a party I had ear ache for hours, but I thought that`s just because I had too many drinks last night, so I`m having a hangover. Then my mother`s T. So life gave me enough chance to realize T could be a big problem here, but my habituation was extremely rock solid.

I visited a doctor in the beginning, but he said you have to live with it so I was like well...okay, not a big deal. Sadly he never said anything about ear protection. I didn`t knew that my T is noise induced, because I don`t know the exact party what triggered it. I have guesses if I think back, but I`m not 100% sure. T just slowly drifted into my life, but I don`t remember what was the turning point that one day it`s silence and next day I have T. Maybe that`s why I didn`t care, because the sound slowly build up in the background so it stayed away from my attention. In the next couple of years I used protection, but just when I was working with power tools and I completely banned headphones, but the most dangerous part was okay for me discos, clubs, concerts...I was like I go once in a month that`s not a big deal...well that was the stupidest thing in my life to think that, I saw several time on ads party plugs and read the comments that they are pretty good, but I was like well I have already T so it`s just a kiss for the dead, because I had no knowledge that It could get worse...well but that`s history. The trigger point was that I`ve swapped party place, from one bigger one, to a significantly smaller, it` was a basement. More of my friends went there so I joined them. In that year my ears was fully crushed after a few parties. So I guess you could go parties without ear protection with T, but you have to go in a "big area" parties, since 6-7 years of this type didn`t had any effect on my T. I went to a similar small place once back then...I think that was the moment when my whole T journey started.

What I don`t understand here is that my firends are still going regulary to this basement club, but their ears are just perfect...HOW THIS IS POSSIBLE??

Today...If I think back I feel like I`m a homeless guy who won the lottery, but he forgot to check the winning numbers and accidently threw out the ticket. He realizes next day when he sees the numbers what he just did.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      0% emotional response would mean tinnitus isn't a problem...

Impossible!

8. Hunszi
      Alone

Hunszi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No it`s not believe me :) read my story.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Oh man, yes, i have read similar stories.
      about people being 100% habituated and then BAM!
      im sorry man, im a very social guy and i used to enjoy parties but im trying to avoid futher damage,
      obviously its also very hard to avoid social events.
      i hope it settles down pretty soon, or you habituate to this new level.
      the other day i read a story about a girl who had it the same and habituated to her new level.

lets hope it returns to baseline sooner!

10. Hunszi
      Alone

Hunszi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Mario martz You don`t have to avoid parties, just use ear plugs, Alpine has particular earplugs for party lovers, if you use it you don`t have to be worry about further damage. I f*cked up because I haven`t used any.

Well the interesting part is that I developed H after a party with proper protection...I guess the damage was so bad already that the plugs could do anything to keep me safe.

11. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Almost everyone I know that has ringing in the ears is not depressed about it. Some think it is no big deal. I am curious to know how loud theirs is. My ringing was no big deal when I was on an anti depressant. I mean it was there but I didn't think about it much. I was thinking it would be nice to get rid of but it was no big deal. I thought once I got off the anti depressant it would go away. There was however a point where I started taking fish oil with my anti depressant and the tinnitus broke me down. I had to get off of it. Now that I am off fish oil does not seem to have an effect like that at least in the short term.