People with 0% Emotional Response to Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario martz, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I know it's unlikely to find one of those cases around here...

But, do they exist? People who has 0 emotional response.

They eat whatever they want despite of the spikes, isn't afraid to make it worse with medicine or more noise exposure. They would be able to go to parties, concerts etc without protection.

2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I don't see not having an emotional response woukd allow you go to loud events without getting futher damage.

3. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah, me between 1999 - 2013. But i did always have earplugs at concerts though.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Im sorry i dont understand.

but what i mean it...
      some people with mild t has some how 0 emotional responde anymore, but then they go to a concert or a party.. "make tinnitus worse" and then they are back to feeling sucidal, sad, anxiety etccc

but is there people who can make their t worse and still dont care about it?

5. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I don't think I'm at 0% but close. I don't have a fearful reaction but I do still get annoyed sometimes. When I first got tinnitus I didn't eat the foods my ENT told me to avoid--I gave up caffeine for over two years--and I was afraid to take ibuprofen when I had a headache. I was afraid to go anywhere that was noisy. Now, I eat what I want to eat, although I've been exercising and trying to eat healthy, unprocessed foods. I drink regular coffee again and I go where I want to go. I ride again but with ear protection. I would also use ear protection at a concert --I don't want to cause anymore damage. As to spikes, I'm not sure if I have spikes or that my tinnitus is just louder on three to four days a week. This doesn't cause me distress.

Personally, I think time has a lot to do with it all.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Ooh ok, some musicians who keep playing maybe. The metallics drummer Lars has had tinnitus for years but keeps playing. I often wonder what his tinnitus level is now to when he first got it.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I bet its super super loud.
      when i think about tinnitus with 0 emotional response,
      i think about those guys in bands.
      that after years of loud t they keep playing...
      i wonder how they handle (maybe being rich and doing what ever you want is the key)

Lars-Ulrich.jpg
      chris-martin-759.jpg
      tumblr_o2fujsfTep1r7z66ao1_1280.jpg
      fka-twigs-performs-2015-billboard-650.jpg

wonder how they keep it up.
      i read chris marting has it read bad
      and also fka twigs

2d8kl05.png

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey kathi, first of all, all my admiration, thanks for your reply, i read your success story not too long ago.
      i also believe that time has a lot to do with it all.
      my first 3 months i would wake up and listen to the t being louder or something and i would have terrible anxiety.
      now at 6 months, i had one of those days where t was super loud and buzzing in my head, but it didnt caused me anxiety i had lots of work to do and i kept moving.
      of course there are still foods i avoid like for example, a slice of cake, chocolate, soda, salty chips, alcohol,
      im alsoo avoiding loud places and concerts :( even with earplugs since i really dont wanna make things way difficult to me.

hard task since ive always been very social and a huge music fan.

9. Filip

Filip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud earbuds music/ear infection
      You mean a psychopath?

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. DDD

DDD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noice induced/acoustic trauma
      People with 0 emotional response means they are not depressed or anxious about the noise even though they hear it but still have common sense to protect their ears and avoid loud places. Tinnitus doesnt prohibit them from being happy.They still live their life.

Not people that purposely go batsh!t crazy and do even more damage to their ears. I would definitely question their sanity. I agree that having no emotional response deff doesn't make you a superhuman haha

• Like Like x 1
    11. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Sure, people who have mild T. You could make it worse and still have it mild enough to be a minor annoyance. Remember, not everyone freaks out over a little buzzing you can hear in the bedroom like a lot of people do here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Honestly man, give me a break. No wonder people think T is a joke. You think having $$$ solves the issue, you are way off base here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Chris Martin gave an interview where he talks about his T. It didn't seem severe at all. I don't know about Lars and the others. Just because they are musicians doesn't mean their T is very severe. There hasn't been any proven correlation between T severity and the severity of the hearing insults. You'll find posts in this very forum where people are in disbelief about the fact that they know someone who has listened to metal super-loud for decades, front row concerts every month, etc, and with no T at all, while they on the other hand have been very careful with their hearing, always liked quiet places, etc, and end up with severe T.

I can guarantee you that money doesn't help with T, in terms of treatment. It probably does help in the sense that it's one less thing to worry about in life, and since stress contributes to the perception of T, it probably sucks more to be broke with T than rich with T, but it doesn't help in terms of treatment.
      If it did, you'd be able to show me a (working) treatment that a poor person can't afford while a rich one can. Sadly, you can't.

NB: I say "sadly" not because it's good to have healthcare inequality between poor & rich, but simply because if there was a working, expensive treatment, it would mean that in time the cost would go down and become available to the masses. That would be a ray of hope, at least. I'm sure you understood what I meant.

• Like Like x 2
    14. RAY
      Lurking

RAY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus in left ear
      People with no emotional response you will find have no emotional threat from their Tinnitus. There is a difference

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Telis,
      T is not joke of course / Obviously i was talking with some sorta sarcasm, since im posting this in a tinnitus forum to discuss amog with others suffers, its not like im telling my friends or the scientific world "give them money and they forget about their t"
      i was just wondering, how people with loud t and constant noise exposure handle it and being sarcastic.
      im sorry about your struggle but you can not take every random opinion that personal.

16. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Mario, the answer to all of your questions is yes. Some people have it bad and carry on. There are countless well known people who have it bad, as well as many other regular folks. This includes my dad and various people I know on the music scene round here.

Everyone is different and will behave differently. We are not machines but humans with different hormones and emotional reactions to all sorts of things that we face.

Some people lose everything. Look at Jason Becker, at age 19 he was ready to take on the world and become one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with ALS and given 2 years to live before he even got to tour with Dave Lee Roths band. He literally went from cloud 9 by being given one of the biggest guitar gigs in the industry at the time to bring told he was going to slowly lose the ability to move his limbs, and then lose the ability to breathe and ultimately die. Talk about having the rug ripped from beneath you. He's still alive today and very much living a happy life, even though he is limited to only having the ability to move his eyes and being connected to a machine to breathe for him.

It's all relative. Some of us in these circumstances would struggle, and in this case the word struggle seems insulting. Stephen Hawking is another that springs to mind as well as tens of thousands of others with similar life stories. Not all of these stories are positive though, and a lot of this is ultimately down to the personality of the person involved. I know that I wouldn't have coped as well as either of the examples I have given, but then we ultimately don't know how we will cope until we are dealt a hand that makes us face some of the worst shit the world can throw at you.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      But if lars started with mild t year ago and keeps on performing and reheaersing loudly then won't e progress his t? If not then i guess its still okay for people to go to concertts with protection?

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      People with no emotional response at all?
      wow that would be pretty messed up in the first place?

this question about people with 0 emotional response.
      no matter how loud the tinnitus is or the hyperacusis is...
      came to me, because there is "someone" that my friends know.
      who already had super loud t, but still used to hang out in loud places with out earplugs.
      and smoke, and drink beer.

to me it doesnt make any sense, that was why i was just wondering... what happens in those case?
      a mystery to me,

i wouldnt even dare to cause more damage.

19. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Hey Mario

Why don't you write Lars or Chris Martin or some other famous musician about there t and if it has progressed lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      You are very right about t being different,
      i have heard of people who was never exposed to loud sound and suddenly just a minor insult results in tinnitus.
      i myself have had lots of loud music exposure for a decade and i have it... "mild"

but what i know now..
      is that once you have t, it would likely get worse if you keep exposing your self to loud noises, concerts, bars, ototoxic meds, get hit on head, barotrauma ETC ETC ETC.

so i guess if this guy had alrady "mild t" in the late 80s
      its unlikely that it got softer over the years, considering they are touring the world, and playing super loud music.

i was being sarcastic about the money,
      money wont solve tinnitus, or any other "uncurable" condition.

21. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I didn't take it personally at all.

• Like Like x 1
    22. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      If it wasn't for one sound in particular i'd pretty much have no response to the rest of my T anymore.

I still wouldn't go to clubs or concerts as I disliked that to begin with and never did before my T.
      And i'd still stay the fuck away from Ototoxic meds.

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Lol,
      i dont think they would have the time to reply
      touring the world, making hits and fucking super models sounds pretty busy to me

24. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Strictly speaking I don't think a zero emotional response exists as a concept. Everything has some kind of emotional response even mundane stuff like looking at a wall.

It depends what you are trying to get out of the question. Are there people out there with loud tinnitus who continue to live as they did before? Then I'd say yes, of course.

Will you find them on an Internet forum? Probably a slim chance, as the bias for finding a negative response is way higher than out in the real world. I can't think of any reason why a person with loud tinnitus who is not emotionally effected would sign up to an Internet forum to talk about it. When you are truly indifferent you wouldn't bother.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      they keep playing despite it getting worse b/c its their whole life to them.

• Like Like x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey Ed, thanks for both of your replies very informative,
      as i said it's unlikely to find one of those cases around here, if they are doing okay they wouldnt visit a support forum,
      i know there is a lot of people suffering a lot with this malady, and i feel so sad about it and wish them the best. i have it "mild" and only 6 months it, and doing much better, sometimes i need to ask my questions and reach for support, or support other "mild" suffers.

just as i wrote above there seems to be a lot of musicians with bad tinnitus and still exposing to loud noises ... with what it seems to be.. no remorse.

also other cases of people who arent afraid of spikes...
      i read somewhere that someone from here, was still was able to eat things that would spike his t, because they dont longer care...

and of course there are notable members that despite having loud high pitched t, are able to live a normal life.

thats why... i wondered if there was someone with already loud t and cero emotional response (after a few years.. of course) i dont think that anyone would have t and not have a bad response the first months...

27. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Like I said, I don't know Lars' condition. I also don't know how careful he is about taking care of his hearing, although this article seems to indicate he does now protect his hearing.
      Many musicians use custom molded in-ear monitors, so they can hear what they're doing and protect their hearing at the same time.

• Informative Informative x 1
    28. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Who? The ones I know are now using in ear protection.

• Like Like x 1
    29. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Not necessarily. He uses custom molded in ear monitors. He doesn't have to set them to loud. What the crowd gets and what he gets is very different (in terms of acoustic power).

• Like Like x 2
    30. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Most musicians, like Greg has pointed out, use molded in ear monitors. The industry has changed a lot and is gradually moving away from loud wedge monitors to safer alternatives.

This is mostly at the professional level though.

• Like Like x 1