People with Hearing Loss: Does Music Sound Different / Not as Good Anymore to You Now?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cam Cam, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Cam Cam

Cam Cam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Those of you with hearing loss, does music sound different or not as good anymore to you?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes, it does sound different of course - you're missing some range of frequencies! The way I deal with it is to use an equalizer, as my hearing aid doesn't do a good job at fixing music (not that it's tuned for that anyway).
      On top of it, T adds itself to the mix, so that makes for weird music!

3. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Yes, music sounds tinny to me. It has no bass. I've cried over this a lot of times in the first few months.

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cam Cam

Cam Cam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      i experience exactly this. Bass sounds tinny or like a tamperin instrument. I read your post about super hearing Lex from a few weeks/months back in regards to car brakes...i also have this. I can pick up the screeching from a mile away. That and basically anything squeaky

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Music just sounds harsh to me now, last year even with H it was still somewhat enjoyable but now it's just torture and unpleasant.

It sounds the same as it always has just extremely uncomfortable and pain inducing.

• Genius Genius x 1
    6. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Yes, yes, yes. That's my exact experience. It's like my brain lost its ability to make those sounds background noises. Everything stands out especially the high-pitched sounds. I can't tune anything out!!! :mad:

Some days, I can deal with it. Some days, it's killing me.

Has it improved for you a little bit?

7. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I have some mild loss at 3-4 khz in my right ear, i think the loss built up slowly over the years so I don't really notice any kind of difference.

8. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I have hearing distortions, music sounds bad. very sad.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cam Cam

Cam Cam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Nope hasn't improved and don't see it improving until they know how to restore hearing biologically! I'm use to it now more I guess, like when i go to the city I just expect the loud brakes but my reaction is a lot better I believe. Whilst T and H is a bitch it's manageable don't ever forget that! I'm trying to view it as an annoyance, kinda like a sore shoulder. it's there but you just get use to it over-time until it becomes the new norm :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      I have mild-moderate hearing loss above 2kHz but don't notice too much distortion because I cant compare to good hearing.

However my T is audible over music so that somewhat ruins the experience to be honest.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Thanks for saying this. I have a similar coping mechanism. I'd like to think of wearing earplugs as something like wearing glasses. I know a few people who would be practically blind without their glasses, but they're still getting by. Of course, our condition is a bigger beast to deal with for various reasons everyone in this forum knows, but hey, we all got to do what we got to do to get by.

12. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I wouldn't be able to function without glasses. Its not really an issue though since glasses fully correct it.

13. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      @Sam Bridge

Yeah, I know I didn't make the best analogy, which is why I said ear conditions are bigger beasts to deal with. Maybe walking sticks? Wheelchairs? They help mobility-impaired people to move about but they don't really fix the issue. Dunno, I'm just trying to make sense of this mess to cope.

14. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Lex some visual conditions aren't corrected by glasses so i guess those people are in a similar boat.