Persimmons May Be Helping Me

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by LAnative, Dec 6, 2018.

1. LAnative
      Fine

LAnative Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Hello friends. I've recently added persimmons (the fruit) to my breakfast and lunch meals and I am noticing less intrusive tinnitus. I am not saying this will work for everyone, I am just putting this info out there in case someone wants to try and see if it helps.

Since there are many types of tinnitus and this might only help my kind, I'll describe my tinnitus:
      I have noise induced tinnitus. Multiple tones, fluctuates a lot during the day. Sometimes heard over everything, sometimes can't hear it at home. Prednisone/steroids SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the tinnitus while I was on it, so perhaps the amount of inflammation effects my tinnitus.

I saw this online, which might help the anti-inflammatory argument:

Health Benefits of Persimmons
      Once again, vitamin A shows itself to be a powerhouse in nutrition, offering 55% of the daily value in the persimmon. Vitamin C runs a close second with 21%, plus excellent amounts of manganese, a co-factor for the enzyme superoxide dismutase, for healthy mucous membranes and skin, as well as a known protectant against lung and mouth cancers.

Persimmons are an excellent source of fiber, which helps keep the body regulated. B-complex vitamins are present to stabilize the metabolic system, along with copper and phosphorus.

Low in calories and fats, this little fruit contains all kinds of phytonutrients, flavonoids, and antioxidants, such as catechins (known to have antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties, and for protecting small blood vessels from bleeding) as well as gallocatechins and betulinic acid, a tumor inhibitor. Other powerful antioxidants found in persimmons include beta-carotene, lycopene, lutein, and cryptoxanthin. The zeaxanthin content absorbs into the eyes and helps filter light.​

I am by no means saying this is a cure. I am just curious if this helps anyone else.

• Like Like x 4
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you talking about the larger persimmons or the smaller (fuyu) ones? How many of them would you normally eat during the day?

3. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Ohh that fruit. It doesn't taste the greatest, but I have been introduced to it a couple weeks ago. Maybe I'll start eating it regularly to see what happens.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LAnative
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      They are about the size of my palm. I believe they are the Fuyu type.
      I started with half before breakfast and saving the other half for lunch, but I upped my "dosage" to one for breakfast, one for lunch. Not sure if my recent spike is subsiding, or if its actually helping.

It does have a rather bland taste, but when I think about the possible benefits, it begins to taste a lot better :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LAnative
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I'm curious if it helps anyone else. It would be cool if someone tries and reports back.
      Its one of those low risk high reward situations.

6. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      I'll eat a ton of them and see.

7. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
    8. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Same here. I'm not totally sure if it was the effect of persimmon or not but it lowered the noise. Maybe vitamin C ? I also tried vitamin c supplements afterwards with no results.

9. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Congratulations on your improvements @LAnative. -- Just to mention, I've heard that supplementing with Vit. A can help some people with tinnitus, as it's a critical nutrient for the ears. This may explain why persimmons are helping you. However, apparently only about 50% of the popultion can convert the precursor beta carotene (in persimmons and other organge-colored plants) into Vit. A. These people need to supplement with a more oil/fish based supplement which has actualy Vit. A (which is what I do).

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'll bump this as persimmons have a good effect on my Tinnitus also

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR