Petitioning Celebrities to Support Tinnitus Research

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Chris Holland, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      Hi Guys,

Seeing as Tinnitus Week is not creating any major waves and funding for research is pathetic maybe we as a community can try to petition celebrities known to have Tinnitus to join the cause?

There are loads of celebs with Tinnitus such as:

David Letterman
      William Shatner (who is a supporter of ATA)
      Barbara Streissand
      Will.i.am
      Bono
      Steve Aoki
      Pete Townsend
      Anthony Kiedis
      Moby

And many more ...

I'm guessing with their pull and possible donations a lot more can be done to create a fund for research than has been achieved up til now by the ATA and BTA ...

• Like Like x 5
    2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Wtf this is actually kind of a good idea. Very impressed Chris.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      Maybe you guys can do some due diligence and try finding out how to reach management or funds set up by these celebrities or create short lists of all celebrities with tinnitus? I will try to reach out to some DJ's I know personally.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      Half of these are dead or don't have it (Keanu Reeves only had it for a few weeks).
      Maybe some local celebs in your home country?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      It's more prevelant than that, however severe Tinnitus is relatively rare. I personally know quite a few people with Tinnitus but the severity ranges a lot.

The list is interesting, there are a lot of people on there after going through it who do have it, a lot of them actually have stated so in interviews some also campaigned for awareneas already.

6. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      1.5 million vets alone in the US are currently collecting disability for tinnitus, and that's just the people with severe enough T to be receiving benefits. You also need to factor in all the other folks who work in loud environments (police, firefighters, bartenders, construction workers, music industry, etc.), those with loud hobbies (clubbing, concerts, target shooting, motorcycles, audiophiles/headphones, etc.), people who suffered accidents (car accidents, head injuries, neck injuries, etc), and miscellaneous factors (ototoxic medications, tmj, stress, etc.). Is it really so hard to believe that tinnitus isn't common? I personally know seven people with varying levels of tinnitus, this condition is much more prevalent than you're giving it credit for.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 3
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      Dude, nobody is parroting anything, just speaking with people will already give you some hint as to how many people have T. Just because most of them are not in Facebook groups or on forums does not mean anything.

Today I contacted a friend of mine who has contacts with all the famous DJ's, his brother is one of them. I'm looking if I can get a hold of one or more of them that have T so they can maybe help raise awareness.

Make yourself useful and see what you can do, being sarcastic all the time ain't helping.
      Be glad that T is this prevalent anyway otherwise nobody would care to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Facebook is an awful source to draw statistical conclusions from. Do you really think that most people want to broadcast their medical conditions on social media websites?

And what, are you now accusing the United States military of lying about how many veterans collect disability benefits for tinnitus? Is this some sort of elaborate disability benefits fraud?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      The plot thickens ...