Phantom Construction Sound (Non-Stop Drilling)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Optigirl19, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Optigirl19

Optigirl19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      Hi y'all, me again.

So, improvements. Yay!

This morning I woke up to perfect silence. It remained for about half an hour. The hissing started coming in but it is so much quieter. So that aspect of it sounds like it's going away.

However, for the past few days I have been hearing this non-stop drilling sound. It sounds like it is coming from an external source, as if construction work is happening outside. Sounds like someone is running a power drill.

Considering how my high tone is fading, I'm confident that this will vanish too in time, as it did with my last bout of tinnitus. But I'm wondering is anyone else experiences it? It doesn't feel like the sound is emanating from my ear, like before. It sounds like it's coming from outside. Curious.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Optigirl19

Optigirl19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      Please, can anyone help me? This is really freaking me out

3. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The only thing you can do really is to wait and try to be patient. Protect your ears in the meanwhile. Ears take forever to heal. Wait a few months.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Optigirl19

Optigirl19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      I'm so so sorry for spamming, I know I have posted several times in a matter of a few days. However I truly feel I am going off the deep end.

My high pitched ringing is coming down, which I am happy about. But it seems as if a constant hum/drone has taken its place. It DOESN'T SOUND LIKE REGULAR TINNITUS. It sounds like its coming from outside my window. I keep thinking there's non-stop construction work happening outside. It sounds either like a drill or an engine or a fridge or anything, just a low deep mechanical drone. It stops me from sleeping. I'm at my whit's end!!! Please just tell me that I'm not the only person dealing with this!

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Don't apologize. This is really hard stuff to deal with. I am four months in and it is still tough, though I'm no longer at my wit's end. In fact though the sound hasn't diminished I've mostly been able to resume my life.

I know not a great pep talk, but take it easy. One day at a time. Have faith that either it will get better or as impossible as it seems you will get much much much better at living with it. Maybe consider seeing an MD for Xanax. It doesn't really help with the tinnitus, but in the early stages when you are experiencing panic response and having trouble sleeping, it can offer some relief.

Remember when it gets bad all you have to do is make it through the moment. You are not alone.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Optigirl19

Optigirl19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      Thank you so much for writing back. Have you been hearing the same sound too???

7. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Also though my sounds are different than yours, mostly high pitched screeches coming in waves and mixed on top of a pure high pitched tone.

I think there is no normal for tinnitus sounds. I know for me it is harder when I have moving sounds, with squeaks and squeals rising and falling than when it is a steadier tone. For my first couple of months I was continually asking people whether new sounds that would pop up were real or just in my head. Now I mostly ignore weird sounds even when they are real.

Peace.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Optigirl19

Optigirl19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      Thank you so much for writing back.

9. Notch

Notch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dentist clean
      When I was struggling to sleep, I found doxylamine succinate (Sleep Aid) tablets really helped.

10. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Most of the members have a high pitch tinnitus. Me too. With a drone sound/low deep sound I know only @valeri, but I don't think she logs in frequently on Tinnitus Talk.

As for medication, for sleep lessening tinnitus i recommend Rivotril made by Roche. I have not tried Klonopin, which is another brand of clonazepam, it may be good also.

Try Rivotril. Do not take too much or for too long, it causes addiction, but for people who are desperate, suffering and at wit's end I could say it is a solution, the only one that I know of.
      I suggest trying to get a prescription for Rivotril. There are sites that sell Rivotril online, but I do not know how good/genuine those piĺls are.

In a pharmacy Rivotril is very cheap, $2 for 30 pills of 2mg each of clonazepam.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Optigirl19

Optigirl19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      So this is it?? This is my life now, forever?

It just hit me that I have to let go of the denial. I've only had it two weeks so it may go away soon but if not, then what?? This is what I live with now???? I thought it was getting better. It was silent this morning. I rejoyced and thought I was healed. And then it started creeping back in and I've not got any sleep. I had hope that I could overcome this. I've gone through this before and it went after a month.

No. I don't want to accept this. I don't want to accept that this will be forever. I've been fighting so hard. It's only been 2.5 weeks. Please. There has to be hope. I swear it's getting better but some times I just don't know. I feel so scared. Why??

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Optigirl19

Optigirl19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      I'm bordering on hysterical now PLEASE JUST TELL ME IT WILL GO AWAY

13. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am going to PM you a bunch of stories of tinnitus going away. It doesn't go away from everyone but it DOES go away for some, after a few months and even up to 4 years in a few cases. if it doesn't go away it often gets much quieter. yes, there are lots of folk here for whom that didn't happen, but that is why they are here.

Most important thing is DON'T PANIC. When people calm down, that's usually when it starts quietening down.

14. Colt206

Colt206 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know exactly what you're talking about...I had a very similar experience shortly after some noise exposure a few months back. When it happened to me i kept thinking there was a vacuum cleaner or some kind of construction going off in the distance and it drove me crazy lol. But i will say in my case it only lasted for about a week and then vanished and has not come back since. So while it's difficult to make any generalizations when it comes to tinnitus, I think you should remain optimistic since it's still early on :)

15. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      I have that low hum, vibration, or "car engine running in front of the house" (and other noises, but this one bothers me most). Not a common type, but some other people have/ had it, too. The only good thing about me is that I'm a ridiculously heavy sleeper so even though now I'm more sensitive, I can't complain there. But I know how annoying it is.
      So I can only tell you yes, there are more people who have or had the same sound. Take some magnesium and hang in there.
      But my tinnitus did NOT come from acoustic trauma so I am not sure what advice to give you. I mean, if you have a hearing loss there are things like oral or intratympanic corticosteroids or other suff like HBOT but the effects are not the same for everyone.