Phenylpiracetam for Tinnitus Spike?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by LateNightArt, Aug 18, 2020.

1. LateNightArt
      Wishful

LateNightArt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      Hi, I'm kinda new here. I have just been wondering about anyone's experience with phenylpiracetam with regards to spikes? A lot of people talk about piracetam, but not phenylpiracetam. They should work similarly, right? I understand that you can't take phenyl for as long but it is a stronger and i'm guessing it should work with the same receptors and stuff?

I have recently had a very severe spike and was put on prednisone.I feel very lucky to have been put on it for a few weeks. However, while it seems to be slowly getting better, I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience with phenylpiracetam and whether is would be advisable in my situation.

Basically, what ended up causing the spike was very loud music at a friend's house. I took regular breaks but was around the music for around 2 1/2 hours total. I had enough and ended up going home early. However, I noticed that voices sounded dull when I got home and my tinnitus has been much worse, as well as strange jaw pain. I realize how stupid it was but I'm pretty desperate. My tinnitus has increased by 2x volume and it has been 2 weeks since the incident. I'm really hoping this will sort it's self out in time, but who knows?

I guess the next thing to do is to try the phenylpiracetam to see if it helps, will report back if I end up going through with it.

2. Gordon Steinberg

Gordon Steinberg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/25/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Loud Noise
      Also interested although can't answer myself.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LateNightArt
      Wishful

LateNightArt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      Well it seemed to do something. I think it gave a temporary improvement, or at least i seemed to notice the tinnitus less, which is strange because I definitely felt a bit wired even though I was very cautious with my dosage as I was testing the waters a bit. I also feel like it seemed to speed up my recovery from a recent spike a bit but I'm not 100% sure... There was a side effect of fluttering in one of my ears, it may have just been the stimulant's effects though.

I will most likely test it again for future spikes and see the results. I may take a larger dose next time I feel like it might help. I'm okay with being a bit of a guinea pig bit, I wouldn't recommend others try it (yet). This was one experience and I am totally unsure whether it may have had some interaction with prednisone which I was taking at the time. It sure felt pretty fun though, even though time totally escaped me and I got tunnel vision when working.

I would imagine that piracetam might be better, seeing as it is less of a stimulant, however, from what I can tell, phenylpiracetam has a faster onset and is stronger in most ways. Tolerance is a very big issue though. If I had the choice, I would say piracetam is safer than phenylpiracetam, considering that it is apparently used for tinnitus in some countries. I will use it sparingly in response to severe spikes in future to test it.

Edit: I would like to add that I still feel the tunnel vision when at my computer as well as increased verbal memory to some extent and my tinnitus is quite a bit less reactive. Somehow it is still having some type of effect. Not totally sure though.

Just to clarify, my intention is not to abuse this but I mainly used it out of desperation, as I had it lying around and pretty much just hoped it might do something for my spike.

• Like Like x 1
    4. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Did you continue to take it? Thanks!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LateNightArt
      Wishful

LateNightArt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      Unfortunately, I have only taken it 3 times so far because I don't really have access to any more of it so I'm pretty limited. I have been saving it for when I have an especially bad spike and it has seemed to help me a lot. I think the mood boost is probably a significant factor in this, but other than that it appears to keep it at bay a while, even after I have crashed.

That being said, I don't really condone using it because I would say it's potentially risky. I only really used phenyl-piracetam because it was all I had. It is stronger than piracetam, at least for focusing but it also has other effects that are a bit strange, like the stimulant effects, physical endurance and cold weather resistance. There's also rapid tolerance build up that I have heard can be permanent, so I avoid taking it more than once a fortnight. Overall, would say that is is less predictable and more risky than regular piracetam, as well as having more potentially unwanted effects.

I have heard a few success stories with regular piracetam and it seems to be safer so i would go with that if I had to choose between the two. I have heard of piracetam being used in to help reduce hearing loss and I've heard of it being used in some countries to treat those with tinnitus but I haven't found enough info to confirm it, it's pretty much small studies and some anecdotal stuff. There's a few threads on here talking about piracetam.

At the end of the day, I'm just an idiot who thought it would be a good idea because I was pretty much just like "what the heck" and went for it. I am very very far from an expert. I would really hate for someone to have a bad reaction to it because it worked well in my case, so take most of what I say with a grain of salt.

• Like Like x 1
    6. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I've had Piracetam on my list for a long time but this weird shadowban by the government is making things hard... still waiting to try it!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LateNightArt
      Wishful

LateNightArt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      Yeah, I have to admit that it seems pretty insane to me that the government over here wants to ban it. It feels like they made a totally uneducated decision to ban most 'nootropic' type substances, even though some are prescribed in limited cases eg. Nootropil. They know many of them have a very good safety record and a lot of benefits especially vs some alternatives. I honestly think that if stuff like Piracetam was more available, it would be a good alternative to harsher meds for stuff like attention issues and depression because at least for me, instead of just numbing me or improving my mood, it actually lets me function enough to get stuff done without a crash.

I'm still struggling to find it from a source I would call reliable at the moment. Hope I can get some soon.

8. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    9. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Good thing about this racetam is that it's more likely to cross the blood brain barrier than other racetams.

Will be trying it out soon.