Pitch Changed Last Month, Now I Can't Ignore It :(

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ryane, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Ryane
      Insomnious

Ryane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Playing with a cap gun as a kid, let off a cap in my ear...
      So, my tinnitus was caused from a number of things, firstly, when I was 10 I decided, whilst playing "guns" with a friend, I decided that I would "blow my own brains out" by firing a cap gun in my ear. Obviously, I was a bit of a dumb 10 year old. Secondly, I spent a lot of time in an army barracks as a kid, and always went down and watched the helicopters take off without ear protection. I also shoot a shotgun without protection (not now) and used to listen to very loud music. But I always knew the beginning was with that cap. When I was young, my T really bothered me, I can remember as a kid, crying myself to sleep some nights.

But as the years went on, I grew to tolerate it, until the point where I pretty much was able to completely ignore it altogether.

But, about a month ago (Dec 2015) it changed pitch...it used to be a dull screech, but now its a really high pitched almost headache inducing squeal. The main problem other than the fact I can no longer ignore it, is the impact on my sleeping pattern and, in turn, my relationship as I now find I cant sleep without some form of noise, which keeps my wife awake. Its currently 5:35am GMT as I write this. I cant sleep, and for the past month I dont even try. I go to bed most "nights" at 5-8am, then rise for work at 9.30am.

Its getting a little bit grueling. Between the lack of no sleep, and the constant noise this renewed T is beginning to really get me down. I have booked a doctors appointment for next week, in the hope that its a build up of wax that has changed it, and getting it cleared out will help, but honestly I think I am stuck with the new noise.

I have also started some enquiries towards Hypnotherapy...dont know what peoples thoughts are on the subject, but the hypnotherapist I have talked to has helped to treat those suffering T before, so I have a chat with him tomorrow.

Anyways, thats a quick introduction, I look forward to chatting to people on here, I have already found many of the posts I have read on here useful and knowing your not the only one having these issues, concerns and thoughts really puts ones mind at rest. Thought it high time I joined and got involved :)

Ryan.

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I to got t from shooting firearms and loud clubs over the years - my t is a high pitched hiss but I found that my brain likes to have a very high pitched chimes melody at night - low volume of course .
      It completley calms the t so you may want to investigate which sounds work for you fortunately we have a few good apps On the iPhone so I use the myNoise app and the SleepPillow app (see image ) both have very high pitched chimes and those work best - not the white noise or rain. Some sound just mask the t but those chimes really turn it off and allow me to sleep

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      image.png

• Like Like x 1
    4. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ryane
      Insomnious

Ryane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Playing with a cap gun as a kid, let off a cap in my ear...
      Hi Bobby,

Thanks for that, will give it a go this evening, although have found I need something that engages my brain to help me dose off, I tend to watch the BBC news channel and just kind of think about the stories as I am heading them whilst trying to fall asleep. Or sometime music that I know the words too, then I sing along in my head and that keeps my mind busy.

As for the shooting, I only got my shotgun last year, and have it out on occasion, but havent been wearing ear protection (unless on a clay range) but out in the fields everyone doesnt wear it, but from now on I dont care if I am the only sad one wearing my ear defenders....they will be going on :)