Poll: Do You Have Any Missing Molars on the Side Where You Have the Loudest Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Sep 4, 2017.

?

Poll: Do you have any missing molars on the side where you have the loudest tinnitus?

1. Yes, on the bottom

21.4%
  2. Yes, on the top

11.9%
  3. Yes, on both top and bottom

21.4%
  4. Yes, but my tinnitus is even in both ears

11.9%
  5. No, my tinnitus is louder on the side I have all my molars

4.8%
  6. No, I have all my molars

23.8%
  7. Add-on Choice: I have missing teeth

14.3%
  8. Add-on Choice: I have all my teeth

9.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Please select one answer and then at the bottom where there are two add-on choices, select 1 answer.

Thanks!

2. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The poll is a bit confusing, but anyway... Two missing lower molars and roughly even tinnitus in both ears. I cannot answer in the poll that the missing molars are in my lower jaw, because I have to select the "even in both ears" option.

What are you trying to investigate? :)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Just select "yes but my tinnitus is in both ears" :)

I am trying to see if missing teeth could have an effect on tinnitus because of bruxism during the night.

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      http://www.w1dental.com/articles/358-2/

The section on electrical activity is interesting.

There's several posts along with several other articles/posts where tinnitus could be caused from the metal of dental implants. Metal in mouth even from liners of crown can cause the brain to react causing tinnitus. More than one metal in mouth can cause ringing. Many when having metal removed saw their tinnitus disappear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
    7. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @JasonP, a very interesting poll question. I have all my molars (including my "wisdom teeth"), and tinnitus in both ears.

8. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      He? That narrows it down ;)

I did get one week of loud tinnitus after bone anchors were placed. After that, my ears seemed to have gotten a lot more sensitive. Removing the bone anchors did not change anything. While having tinnitus I got two implants with crowns to replace the missing teeth. This did not have an effect on my tinnitus.

This one operation included placing the bone anchors, removing two primary teeth which had grown attached to the jaw bone and `weakening' of the lower jaw to make more movement possible for the braces. I suspect that it was the long and loud drilling which caused the tinnitus, and not the placement of metal.

9. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @JasonP I sent the link to your inbox. My ID should had been attached with the message. I sent it to you because of our recent conversations. The link is also not direct to your polling questions.

On this forum and others, their's quite a few people who believe that metal implants or other metal in their mouths caused their somatic T. There about six other articles about this. Some posters say that metal in mouth has caused them all sorts of health problems including jaw, neck, back, throat and head pain.

10. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      I have nerve damage on the right side of my mouth, the same side where my T is loudest. My lingual nerve was damaged 7 years ago during the extraction of wisdom teeth. It never completely healed; I still feel continuous tingling on the right side of my tongue. It drove me crazy the first few months but now I hardly ever notice it anymore. So I guess I went through a similar habituation process as now with my T :)

Anyway, I have wondered whether the nerve damage could be somehow related to my T, but there are two arguments against that: 1) I have one-sided hearing loss, which is a much more likely explanation for my T (although the origin of the hearing loss itself remains unclear); and 2) my T only emerged 7 years after the nerve damage. Still, there could be some relation I suppose...

11. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I have had root canals and crowns on both sides of my mouth, having had problems since I was a child despite good care. Just the luck of the draw.

There are close connections between the chewing muscles, the ligaments of the jaw, and the nerve supply of the temporomandibular joint with the parts of the brain that process and interpret sound. What you're describing isn't TMJ, of course, but the nerves in the jaw are complicated. It's a wonder that dentists even do root canals, when you consider how easy it is to damage those nerves.

9b_Inferior20Alveolar20and20Long20Buccal.gif

12. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I only have 17 teeth in total due to genetics (two of them milk teeth). I also have amalgam fillings in 3 of my 4 molars.

13. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      My wisdom teeth were pulled many years ago, but I only had three, the one at the bottom left was not created.
      My tinnitus is on the left.

14. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I had my wisdom teeth surgically removed before they surfaced because it was the only way my parents could get it covered for insurance.
      I suspect it is to blame for my atypical facial pain that I have been suffering from for 2 years.

15. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Tinniger I didn't know that you only had hearing loss only in one ear. I would research this - wisdom teeth removal - cell, pulp and nerve (fiber) structure with oral nerve damage for delay of hearing loss in one ear. Research hearing loss where somatic volume doesn't differ in one ear. Research non sudden hearing loss or ear structure damage as non pathological, where stress is listed as a co-factor. From my research Lyme and related diseases are other somatic reasons. There is treatment for both, even after years. If the neck has involvement then T would move back and forth from the other ear and the volume/pitch would be high with hyperacusis.

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I'm sure my tinnitus isn't caused by hearing loss.
      My hearing loss is low, maybe 10 db more than age-related.

17. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Yes that is what happened to me in 2002. Back lower molar root canal from hell leaving me with nerve damage and jaw bone damage and instant severe tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 3