Poll: Do You Hear Any New Sounds When You Wear Earplugs and Clench Your Jaw?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, Feb 21, 2019.

?

Do you hear any new sounds when you wear earplugs and clench your jaw?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hear a pretty loud rumbling sound when I clench my jaw (I need to be wearing earplugs to hear it).

When I move my jaw out, I hear a high pitch tone. The rumbling sound is very different, and I think I might have always had it.

How common is this?!

2. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think this is fairly common. When I clench my back teeth both the volume and pitch increase. Same thing happens with basically any jaw movement. When I physically hold my jaw shut and try to then move jaw forward or open the same thing happens. The louder volume and pitch last several minutes before returning to baseline. It doesn’t take ear plugs to hear the change.

3. TimmyC
      Innocent

TimmyC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD possibly, or neck and jaw, or maybe anxiety?
      Very common. most, if not all, tinnitus people have SOME form of a somatic element. When I clench my jaw, both ears get louder, and when I move the jaw forward, the right ear gets extra loud. I believe it just means we are adding more neural activity in the somatosensory nerve. It makes sense which is why I truly believe bimodal (with either Neuromod or Susan Shore) will be a huge help for all of us in decreasing the loudness, or at least the distress.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wasn't talking about somatic tinnitus. I get somatic tinnitus too when I move my jaw out. When I just close my jaw, the sound is very different from the sound of somatic tinnitus...

5. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I can hear the whole circus when I wear hearing protection.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      So clenching back teeth and getting additional volume does not have anything to do with TMJ? I have this effect and was going to go to my dentist to check for TMJ, but I have no other symptoms (jaw pain or clicking).

Maybe a dentist visit would be a waste of time? What do you folks think?

7. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It could be that contracting muscles vibrate and occluded ear makes the rumble that these vibrations create louder and more audible.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I couldn't put my finger of what the sound I have been hearing sounds like, but the above fits it perfectly! Thank you!

That wouldn't be considered to be somatic T. I wonder how common it is for people to hear the sound of vibrating jaw muscles when they contract to close the jaw...

9. chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced (multiple acoustic incidents)
      When I wear earplugs, I also hear a deep, loud vibrating sound when my mouth is open / my teeth are apart and not clenched. When I clench them, the noise stops.

I also can intensify my "electric buzzing head tinnits" with jaw, head and neck movement. The two pure tones in my left and right ear are not impressed by that, tho.

I also hear a very loud and irritating vibration sound when I wear hearing protection and do weight-bearing activities. I thought that this might be because the earplug is in contact with a area of the ear canal and seals and connects all sides of it, making the vibrations audible. But I also get the sensation when wearing Earmuffs.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1