POLL: Do You Still Enjoy Listening to Music?

Discussion in 'Support' started by marqualler, Apr 23, 2015.

?

Do you still listen to and enjoy music with tinnitus?

1. Yes, with headphones and on speakers

67 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Yes, but on speakers only

67 vote(s)
    41.1%
  3. No

29 vote(s)
    17.8%
tinnitus forum
    1. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      (A hat tip to @JabbingJab who was the one who thought of this question in the chat room yesterday! Thank you sir!)

I am a lifelong music lover and while tinnitus has made listening to music on earbuds very uncomfortable, I still enjoy listening to music at a low volume at my desk at work. It works both as white noise and as an enjoyable part of my daily work life.

So my question is this: do you still listen to and enjoy music? Do you listen with headphones? Have you tried different types of headphones that might result in less tinnitus irritation?

Let me know!

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      I use speakers. I hope one day I'll be able to put headphones/earbuds back on set to a reasonable volume.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Yes, absolutely! I also enjoy MAKING music! I sing with two choral groups and love it more than ever. I had some mild hyperacusis in the beginning that made music a little difficult, dropped out of the larger choral group for a year. But that faded and I am back now.

I listen to music both on earphones and through speakers. I use both ear buds (very cautiously) and over-the-ear headphones. The important thing is to keep the volume low. The one thing I noticed since I had tinnitus is audio device quality matters much more. I junked my old head phones/buds and purchased Bose, and am getting ready to buy better speakers.

I also purchased quality musician filtered ear plugs (Etymotics.com) for my singing and general noise control. A great investment. I had to make a few minor adjustments about where I sit during rehearsals (can't be directly next to the piano), but nothing major.

It makes me sad when I read posts from people new to Tinnitus Talk, about now they never will be able to listen to music again. By in large, that's not true. Just give it time and use common sense. And don't be afraid! I know that many of us enter a state of high anxiety if we have sudden onset tinnitus, but try to fight back against that fear and anxiousness. Believe that you are not going to have to give up everything you love.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      That is great to hear @LadyDi! I am in a band right now and have told my bandmates that when baby #2 arrives at home, that I will likely step away from the weekly practice part of the band, but I still want to participate in recording and songwriting with them. And I want to continue to be involved in music in general. I may finally splurge on musician filtered ear plugs -- I actually have found that the generic music ear plugs have a much better feel for music than the generic foam plugs and actually fit my ears better. But a fitted plug may be even better.

I have tried Bose-style headphones at local stores the last couple months to demo them and found that the sound was much less irritating, so I may invest in a good pair of those at some point too (if baby #2 ever gives me time to sit down and listen to music on headphones, that is!)

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Nice idea for a thread @marqualler, thanks. And blessings on your new baby! How exciting! You can write some lullabies!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

I have irritation in tinnitus if i hear noise like water/washer,white noise,narrow band noise,pink,grey etc... if i hear Opeth,Metallica,Iron Maiden Led Zeppelin, it's all ok!

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    7. Sergio V.
      No Mood

Sergio V. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 9 2015
      My personal and current experience , as a Musician, at first i was badly shocked that this could remain for ever. But in reality this PT has taught me that music, as an emotional - intelectual language is SO powerful, that can stand heavy interference, from inside or outside, if you listen to it with all your being and get the messages transmitted . And silence may be more like a concept that when i´m aware of it i can enjoy it anyway, just knowing there is silence somewhere.

• Like Like x 3
    8. Dana
      Chicken

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known, too many possible causes
      I loved music all my like, but since I got tinnitus, I love it even more, as it do one more thing for me now: reminds me of my life pre-T, while listening music I am my old self. I avoid earbuds though, as I noticed that after using the cheap kind, my T increases.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. JabbingJab
      Supportive

JabbingJab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      I still find it enjoyable and it has the ability to make me feel nostaglic. Paramore is probably still my favorite band! :)

• Like Like x 2
    10. Stu

Stu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Trauma - Concert
      Glad this thread was created.... as I'm about a month into my T I really am still trying to come to terms with losing my old life and all the loves that come with it i.e. Sitting quietly having a cup of tea or listening to my hi-fi set up that i've spent a few quid on over the years to get the best sound Quality without this damn high pitched screaming in my head laid over the top!

Ironically, the day I got my noise induced T I bought a pair of high end dali speakers which still remain boxed as I can't bring myself to hook up on account of my ears being still a bit sensitive plus I'm fearful of how things will sound.

After reading the comments from you guys though I think I'll face the fear and maybe I'll realise I haven't lost as much as I first thought.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Another musician and music lover here. Yes, I still listen to, play and write music.

I haven't attended a concert in a while but plan to over the summer.

My advice is to take it slow, find out what your comfort levels are but don't give up something that you enjoy so much. One thing I have learned is that there are many professionals in the industry with tinnitus that have continued to enjoy successful careers.

• Like Like x 2
    12. JabbingJab
      Supportive

JabbingJab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      @Stu Good luck! It's nice to lose yourself in music. You can imagine your T to be extraterrestrial sound curiously exploring your mind, drawing the attention of your brain. It feeds off silence because it wants to be heard but music is its Achilles' heel because it robs him of its egomaniacal droning. So fight it with soundwaves, let the brain see that it doesn't have to be a slave any longer.

Of course, be careful because if the music is too loud, it might draw the attention of other T's, an even bigger behemoth than the one you currently have. :p

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Unless you have H, I don't see why tinnitus would stop someone from listening to music as music helps mask tinnitus. To me this seems almost like asking if someone listens to white noise while having tinnitus.

14. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      @marqualler (re: the whole post question) and @Dr. Nagler (re: "Why in the world would somebody who loved music before tinnitus not love it just as much after tinnitus?")

I think this is an interesting thing to talk about, because I had a very interesting experience with music pre and post-tinnitus.

Both pre and post tinnitus I love music, I find it beautiful, I don't have a problem with listening to it on any platform as long as the volume is different. However, I do not enjoy music as much as I used to. I do not have misophonia or hyperacusis. I'm habituated as far as I know, my T doesn't effect much of anything in my life except I wear earplugs in loud situations.

However, before T, I would never leave the house without my headphones. I didn't listen to them loudly, but I loved music with a capital L. I couldn't bear my commute without it. I played (acoustic) guitar obsessively and it sent chills down my spine. I had a very physical and very emotional reaction to sound of all types (but in a good way.)

Now, I still find music objectively lovely, I enjoy good music on occasion via headphones or live etc. However I have rarely, if ever, had that same physical or emotional reaction or relationship with music that I had before tinnitus. I almost never listen to music on my commute, after years and years of not wanting to part with it.

I am no doctor or brain scientist, but I had to wonder if somewhere in the process of habituation and of my brain changing that emotional reaction to the sound of tinnitus, it changed, to a degree the emotional connection with sound in general. I am completely habituated, and believe me, I prefer that VASTLY to the horrendous suffering I was in before I habituated. However something did get lost in there. I suppose it is sad in a way, but I don't mourn it, because I am not trying to avoid music now, I'm not scared of it, I just do not care like I used to.

Another interesting thing, my father has had tinnitus (from war) since he was in his early 20s. It never really bothered him and he also enjoys music, but he had to focus in on it, otherwise it was always a bit like background noise to him. I remember taking road trips, and I would be talking about the amazing lyrics and my dad would say, "Oh what are they saying?" He just wasn't listening in that closely, and I always wondered, "How can you not listen to the lyrics?" I was the kid who couldn't study with any kind of music on because I would inevitably focus all my attention on it - get lost in it and forget everything else. I would feel it in every cell.

Now, I understand what my dad meant, when I listen to music now, I zone out easily, I don't "hear" the lyrics unless I focus in, I can study or do just about anything with sound in the background. Others ask "how can you concentrate?" I just think "huh?" People will tell me there is some annoying sound (or music, what-have-you) and I will not have even "heard" it.

Things have definitely changed with me and sound somewhere in my brain. It's not bad or good, it just is, but it is interesting. I mourned the memory of it at first, the same way I mourned the memory of "silence" pre-T, but now it's just life.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

• Informative Informative x 2
    15. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      That particular question came to my mind because it is the very first thing a cognitive behavioral therapist would say to a tinnitus sufferer who suggested that tinnitus somehow affected his or her love of music. The thread went astray after I posted that, which was certainly not my intent.

My only point is every time you make a compromise because of tinnitus, your tinnitus is emboldened. Give your tinnitus an inch, and your tinnitus will take a foot.

stephen nagler

• Like Like x 1
    16. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      I think that part of the question was a interesting one though - I know you might not have meant it in the sense that I answered it, but it did make me think and write what I wrote.

17. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      If my post made you think, then who could ask for more? That's what cognitive behavioral therapy is supposed to do - make you think.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I still listen to music, just not as much as I used to.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. TDCC
      Confused

TDCC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      since june 14 2014
      For me it's been a year of hell, tinnitus really putmy life into shambles, I'm trying t get back to the normI have recent started running and working out I love Zumba and cycling classes so I do wear earplugs I am doing color run this weekend, I am excited the noise is still there and I haven't completely habittiated ccompletely. I'm freaking out that I'm going on vacation to see my family and I don't want anybody to know that I have this, Sleeping it's a little better. I love life now is just kinda hard but I'm trying to be really positive. everybody in this website it's absolutely wonderful. I appreciate their comments and their thoughts may you all be blessed and thank you for the wonderful stories.

• Hug Hug x 2
    20. andi73

andi73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26/11/2014
      yes of course, but not live if it is too loud

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Music was a huge part of my life. I never played it but was a big fan. I still try even with H. For some reason music doesn't feel the same anymore though, my emotional response to it is totally flat. I don't get out of it what I used to. I guess that goes for most things in life these days.

I should say I never played a instrument in the technical sense but I had a couple of old air guitars. I used to like to pull em out when the vibe got me.

• Hug Hug x 2
    22. Stu

Stu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Problem is, when your T is around the 15khz mark, every day sounds just won't mask it and the T then tends to poke it's annoying head above the music you are listening to. I guess that's why there's a question mark over if you still enjoy music as much under such circumstances - well it certainly is in my case anyhow.

23. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      I listen to metal everyday \m/. I don't like ear phones so it's always stereo on in my car.

• Like Like x 2
    24. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2003 (mild), 12/2012 (loud)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Music actually brought tinnitus to my life (loud metal and rock concerts). And suprisingly music brought my life with tinnitus to normal again after some time. I don't visit ANY concerts anymore, but music is still great part of my life... I am happy I can hear it anytime I need it, even with my hissing sounds in the background. I use speakers at home and headphones at work every day.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Stu

Stu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      nice - and your metal band of choice is?

26. tdn

tdn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trittico / Trazodone
      I voted no.

Why?

Because tinnitus has made me completely hate some songs/bands that I used to love (i.e Mogwai). I can't enjoy any of these more silent/moody tracks anymore when half (or more) of my perception is filled by this banshee screech in my head.

Now, I do still enjoy some music, but not as before, no.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. bmguitar

bmguitar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I enjoyed music with a mild T for 7 years, but ever since the huge spike I got from a Mogwai concert (without ear protection, what a stupid idea!) a month ago, I haven't listened/played any music... Almost makes me want to blame my love for music.

• Hug Hug x 2
    28. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Don't worry! Once we are able to regenerate hair cells we'd just listen to whatever we want haha.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    29. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      With headphones if it's low.

Kids had a DJ in their gym the other day, it was 83 dB through the speakers.... Too loud for me now, didn't use to be.

30. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's no wonder why the majority of the teenagers haven't got tinnitus yet, with the loud speakers on cars and those Dr. Dre headphones.