Poll: Following the Onset of Tinnitus, When Did You Stop Having Suicidal Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, Aug 31, 2018.

?

Following the onset of tinnitus, when did you stop having suicidal thoughts?

1. I never had suicidal thoughts

2. Two months after the onset of tinnitus

3. Three months after the onset of tinnitus

4. 4-6 months after the onset of tinnitus

5. 7-9 months after the onset of tinnitus

6. 10-12 months after the onset of tinnitus

7. 13-18 months after the onset of tinnitus

8. 19-24 months after the onset of tinnitus

9. More than 24 months after the onset of tinnitus

10. I've had tinnitus for less than 6 months, and I am still suicidal

11. I've had tinnitus for 7-12 months, and I am still suicidal

12. I've had tinnitus for more than 1 year, less than 2 years, and I am still suicidal

13. I've had tinnitus for more than 2 years, and I am still suicidal

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It would be interesting to find out what fraction have suicidal thoughts, and what fraction stop having suicidal thoughts...

2. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      I think there is a direct correlation between suicidal thoughts and the level of intrusiveness.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I believe in the discovery of the pharmaceutical drug solutions and the regeneration of hair cells with due attention and funding.

I know one good person, his tinnitus started after an ear infection, he struggled for 5 years, he went to a psychiatrist and took antipsychotics, but this helped him poorly. He gained 15 kg of weight and almost lost his ability to work.

But he was rescued by an audiologist who correctly picked up his hearing aid and changed the settings during the year. When he puts the device on now - tinnitus is 90% gone. He felt new colors of life, he has a desire to live and create, dream, raise children, work and learn.

This again proves the compensatory role of the brain when the signal is not received due to the death of hair cells.

I also know a person who had a hearing loss and had no tinnitus. That's strange. We must study such people and, on their experience, create a model/device or medicine.

Habituation is a difficult thing, it's so dependent on the noise level. It is not controlled by our consciousness.

I believe only in the treatment model and pill of Professor Tzounopoulos, as well as in hearing regeneration.

I believe that the right way is to avoid social exclusion as much as possible, try to work and visit people more often, try to enjoy life even in such conditions. And believe that the help is close.

• Like Like x 6
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      As a former healthcare giver and having worked a crisis hotline I think that it's irresponsible to the well being of others to have a poll that states "I am still".

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      I think @Bill Bauer's poll is interesting! But we should remind ourselves that tinnitus boards are visited by those who struggle which reflects in the results!

• Agree Agree x 5
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I'm one of the lucky ones I guess, as my T fluctuates from day to day based on (primarily it seems) my sleep habits. For instance, yesterday, my T was horrible. Today, it is much much better. Once I realized that I could have better days, that really stopped my brain from sitting there thinking about death as an escape. I'm sure most of you know what I mean, none of us truly want to die, but the thoughts just come. Then when I found out about the work Frequencytx is doing, that gave me more hope. I havent had any suicidal thoughts in months. I'm also now convinced that there is a cure out there.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    7. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I think it would be interesting to note if any poll respondents had suicidal thoughts at any point in their lives prior to tinnitus.

The poll is too segmented. It would be better to simply vote in six month groups: 1-6 months, 6-12 months, 12-18 months, 18-24 months.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 2
    8. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Never did. Hopefully never will?
      When I got tinnitus I was numb to it.
      It was a "life already sucks, of course I'll get punished more" feeling.
      I'd already been through suicidal thoughts with my chronic pain. Currently I do not consider tinnitus a bigger hurdle than that.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      No suicidal thoughts prior to tinnitus, but after tinnitus had those thoughts for months which surprised me. It took me months to get my suicidal thoughts and anxiety in control. In my opinion those thoughts can come with tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Very low since2004/Went haywire in 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise in 04/Wedding dance floor and flying(?) in 18
      Bill just curious where you're currently at with your T. Did some reading into your threads. Did your June 2017 spike ever subside?

11. Honky

Honky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Truck air horn
      I've not had suicidal thoughts and have thought about what could be worse than T and it seems to always be death. The glass is half full for me but I must keep filling it up it seems. What a chore!

• Like Like x 1
    12. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was thinking the same thing. I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't have these thoughts.

13. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Instead of suicidal thoughts, my mentality is more like: eff this, I'll just live the life i want and if i die then whatever lol. I always wanted to shark tank with my friends and i did that, climbed the Himalayas...did that...just did whatever i want..no fears of death. If my ears are gonna revolt then whatever, dun give a duck

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, it had subsided.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That is the best way to deal with any adversity!!
      Never surrender. Fight and live. Help others with support, but don't let their negativity drag you down and start feeling pity for yourself or others.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Death is not the worst that might happen when one does whatever one wants... What are your thoughts about the risk of being paralyzed from the neck down?

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I get what you mean, but i don't live my life with "what ifs"...anything can happen..and anything will happen. If I get paralyzed, I'll get over it ...trust me I've been through worse things in my life...if i got over them... i can get over anything.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What is worse than being paralyzed? T?
      You might want to take the probability of something happening into account. Some actions make this probability significantly higher. If you don't take all possible outcomes into account when you are deciding whether to do something, it means you are not making this decision in a rational way (by comparing the expected costs with the expected benefits).

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      We are not talking about taking drugs or getting involved in turf wars, T just gave me the courage to do all the things i always wanted to do...and the risk is not that great. Going to India isn't a high risk activity. I think you know what i mean, i am not trying to die literally...i mean i am not as afraid of things i used to be afraid of.

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      As I mentioned in an earlier post, I look at driving fatality statistics before I visit a country (as my trip is likely to include a lot of driving). I had walked away from my tickets to Taiwan (that I stupidly bought before consulting those statistics). I think that there is a very small list of countries that are actually safe to visit (unless one places a very low value on being safe).

21. RoeTaKa
      Creative

RoeTaKa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Somatic?
      I wouldn't be able to answer this poll because on the onset of my tinnitus I don't really recall suicidal thoughts. It was extremely depressing and exhausting though, I knew my life would change but I had hopes that something could be done. When I accepted and found ways to cope that is when it subsided and it wasn't in my thoughts anymore.

However my last spike came during an all time high of anxiety, when the spike subsided I was left with a tone that's pulsed and gone up and down and I fear my baseline is something I'll hear constantly unless I mask. This has been the time when suicidal thoughts occurred and some days were extremely trying mentally. I still hope it can get better but I'm believing more now that just finding love and enjoyment in life is going to be the biggest crutch, anxiety makes it difficult but it's a work in progress. So much of the battle of tinnitus ends with disappointment and that just builds on top of everything, but there's other battles going on and they're much more achievable.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I get what youre saying Bill, and i totally get it. All the best countries i've ever been to are probably on the not so safe list lol. I think it boils down to personal preference and how you view life.

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Were the Himalayas much more scenic than the Alps?

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      To me, the downside of life is almost always more intense than the upside. As a result, I focus on making sure to reduce the probability of poor outcomes.

• Like Like x 2
    25. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I didn't get a chance to see the alps, I was alone when i hiked the Himalayas...and one of the other girls I knew (who was also a lone hiker) disappeared from a village in Nepal. After that I freaked out and didn't want to hike alone by myself up foreign mountains.

26. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I totally hear you, but my perspective is that I'd rather live a short life filled with all the things i have done than live a long one and always wondering. I don't really care what tomorrow brings, I have lived a very full and fun life.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The Alps are pretty spectacular.
      Did your parents approve?

When one hikes, the impressions and scenery that one gets to have come at a rate that I find to be too slow. I find this rate to be just right when I drive.

28. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Haha, Bill...I just want to say that I really miss your posts on the forum and I always smile when you reply. I think we are both polar opposites and personally I really think that's cool.

And no my parents didn't approve, they never knew i was in India either...I just left France one day and lived in India for a short time....then i went to Nepal. They would have freaked if they knew, i just never told anyone about it.

• Like Like x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you. I didn't have access to this website for most of September. I had 70 alerts when I logged in after my absence. I am catching up on all of the alerts and private messages, albeit slowly.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How much time did you get to spend in France? It is one of the countries that are safe, scenic, and interesting.
      The above seems to imply that you liked Nepal and India more than France. Could it be that this was because you never gave France a chance?