Poll: Have You Ever Had to "Call Into Work Sick" Due to Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Feb 16, 2017.

?

Have you ever had to "call into work sick" due to tinnitus?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but in America when you can't go into work because you are not feeling well (or sometimes when an employee does not want to go to work) it is called "calling into work sick". Have you ever had to do that because you felt so bad because of your tinnitus?

2. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      I have several times. Have you?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Yes, especially since I have mild bipolar issues. It's hard for me because its like I need to take something that works like an "anti-depressant" and then something that works like a "depressant". If it wasn't for T, I could get by on just a small amount of a "depressant" and would be pretty good. Basically, something that just calms me down just a notch. Its interesting I took low dose klonopin for a while which worked pretty good at mood stabilization for me. The bad part is, that over time my T got worse when at first it was lowered. The other bad part is the tranquilization part and that it makes it harder to get up in the morning.

4. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Vascular
      I often would not go into lab for work when my hearing loss, sensory processing defects, or depression was significant...that was uncommon, however, and I was waay better just a year ago. But it did greatly impact my performance in work or school.

Now ears are so bad that I do not work or school period. Just stay in my quiet house. Earplugs whenever I go outside around traffic or the like.

5. Michael B

Michael B Member

Soon after getting tinnitus, I took six weeks off from work due to a lack of sleep, adjustment, etc. I eventually adjusted to having it but retired from my job three years later. I don't regret a moment of it!

6. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus came while I was on maternity leave, still am. Due back at work early June.
      Not sure how I would have coped with work....

7. Lex
      Cynical

Lex Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I've called in sick for lesser reasons before (hangover, lack of sleep, laziness) so yes, I've called in sick for T and H especially during the first couple of months. We have paid sick leaves, and they aren't convertible to cash and they can't be carried over to the next year, so might as well use them.

8. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity & Lyme Disease
      No but I was lucky to have 2 weeks of holiday just when I got my severe T spike in December, otherwise I might have called sick.

9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Medically retired from work due to tinnitus.
      Anyone that is able to work with tinnitus should count themselves fortunate because it could be a lot worse. For some people the condition can be so debilitating they have to be on medication and are unable to work.
      The fact that some people are able to use a computer and post messages in this forum is a positive indication, that for today at least, your tinnitus isn't so intrusive you are unable to function.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    10. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Self employed...no choice. No work no money.
      Helps focus the mind away from T.

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      I disagree Kelvin. If your tinnitus was severely intrusive you would be unable to work I assure you. Thankfully, this isn't the case. The same applies to any other medical condition. If it is severe enough it can prevent a person from doing all sorts of things. It isn't always mind over matter. The mind might be willing the body isn't ;)
      Michael

12. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Simply answering the question on this thread @Michael Leigh.
      No way did I wish to imply that everyone could do the same.
      I do feel fortunate. Its far from easy, as expectations and hence stress is high in architecture and it can be a real challenge.
      We are clearly all very different as is our disabling condition.
      It truly is a horrible thing.
      Wishing you
      all at least some peace today.:)

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Well said @Kelvin. There are many people outside of this forum and also within it that think tinnitus, is trivial and can easily be overcome. If they had a taste of what I and others have experienced for a day then they would know what severe, intrusive tinnitus is all about! Please accept my apologies for misunderstanding you..
      All the best
      Michael :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      No never, i guess mine is not severely intrusive though.

15. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      This post scares me, but it must mean mine is nowhere near as bad as some others. I mean, not being able to get up and type some messages, just how loud are these people experiencing tinnitus? Like a car alarm in the ear?

16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      There is a serious side to tinnitus Sam that is often overlooked and some people don't want to see. Although the loudness of one's tinnitus has significance, what really matters is how debilitating one feels by the intrusive noise and this is something that only the individual affected can know. It is good that your tinnitus hasn't been severe enough to prevent you from taking time off work. To help keep it that way is to protect your hearing by keeping away from loud noise and not using headphones even at low volume, in my opinion.
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      Just did today, due to very little sleep for days. first time since onset 2 months ago.