Poll: I Can't Mask the High-Pitch Ringing with Anything! Can You?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ian Aldred, Oct 28, 2016.

?

Does your tinnitus ring over everything?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Ian Aldred

Ian Aldred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus is so loud I can't even scream loud enough to mask it. No matter where I am, no matter what I try, there is no escape. I want something to kill me. I'm not suicidal, but can someone just put me out of my misery? :( I've tried everything guys... This is ruining my perfectly happy life. Please vote and tell me if your ringing rings over everything.

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      There is a way out.

Back to silence thread

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ian Aldred

Ian Aldred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Ian,
      Just to share brother...since there is no known cure for tinnitus. The path to take is to habituation. I know for some a silly if not hollow word. But that is the path. Michael Leigh on this forum who is very knowledgeable teaches that this path based upon tinnitus retraining therapy referred to as TRT which is essentially sound enrichment and NOT masking....masking is not desirable because the mind will never habituate to a sound it doesn't hear. So, you are best served with having your tinnitus be a companion to, but not be completely masked by sound augmentation.

Hope that makes sense and helps you learn to live with the devil. ;)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Try to keep masking sound just below your tinnitus sound or mixing point.
      Your brain will work hard to listen to the lower sound and push your tinnitus to the background.
      White noise or pink noise works well but you might prefer to pick a sea sound etc.
      Try some nice smelly stuff also as the sence of smell is a great distraction and mood lifter.
      If you have not seen ENT or audiology it might be a good idea if it does not settle and your doctor to check for wax or infection.
      Keep posting for support around the clock...lots of love glynis

6. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      • Like Like x 1
    7. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hang in there, sometimes there are supplements and medication that can lower your T. You might want to try magnesium threonate combined with passion flower and valerian root but ask a doctor or pharmacist first if this is okay. You probably would need to cycle the passion flower and valerian root though. Go to the doctor if things get bad and see if that would help.

Often people can find either a supplement or medication that will lower their T and also get your hearing checked. Even with a low hearing loss hearing aids can help and also you can have one with maskers that may calm you down even if it doesn't completely mask the tinnitus. I would advise you to go to a place to get a extended audiogram that goes to 12khz instead of the traditional 8khz

8. three4rd
      Thinking

three4rd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably long-term sound exposure and hearing loss
      Glynis,

These are all excellent points. You mentioned the second statement to me in another thread, and I actually seem to be finding that, after listening quite often to the ocean sounds that my audiologist programmed into my hearing aids, the T. pitch does seem to be getting softer and much less noticeable. That being said, I'm still not content to just leave things as they are if indeed there is anything else that might be going on that should be revealed.

9. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      I plug in my ear buds and crank up my Apple Music every night and that won't mask it...however my T has been apart of me 20+ years...

10. PassingThru
      Balanced

PassingThru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Forgive me is you've already tried this, but I find relief from T Sound Therapy videos on YouTube:
      Tinnitus Sound Therapy | Tinnitus Treatment...
      . They help while I"m working on the comp or help me to sleep at night... I've read that you should listen to them just a little below the volume of your T so that eventually your brain won't recognize T as a foreign sound... Hope it helps you find some relief...please keep us posted..

• Like Like x 1
    11. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Dear Ian,

I am sorry for your condition...

Do you have any ideas how you got your Tinnitus ?

12. Andy Smeragulio
      Alone

Andy Smeragulio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1-1-17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I use you tub tinnitus sound therapy with headphones, it helps

13. Andy Smeragulio
      Alone

Andy Smeragulio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1-1-17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Use you tube tinnitus sound therapy with headphones, it works for me and many other people, plus you get to chat with people that have some clue what your talking about

• Like Like x 1