Poll: To Push for an MRI or Not? How Many of You Have Had One?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Dec 15, 2015.

?

Since your tinnitus began have you undergone an MRI?

1. Yes, results were normal

2. Yes, the results were abnormal (explain below)

3. No, it was not recommended for my condition/symptoms or offered to me

4. No, I have not seen an ENT or other doctor for my tinnitus

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      So when I went for my initial ENT appointment they sent me for a hearing test which showed mild hearing loss in the upper ranges in one ear.. I went back and saw the ENT again and described my symptoms. She said because my tinnitus comes and goes (one good day, one bad) is not localized in just one ear (mostly it sounds like it's coming from the right ear, occasionally the left and sometimes from the center of my head) and that it varies in intensity and seems to be reactive she wouldn't send me for an MRI even if I wasn't pregnant. Apparently my symptoms don't really match any condition in which an MRI would be useful in diagnosing.. She said she believed my cause to be pregnancy related or hearing loss related as I wasn't exposed to any loud sounds.. So I said okay and left..

But because of my darn anxiety and things I've read here I've been thinking should I get a second opinion? I'm afraid to miss something that could've been treated. I know it may be hard to get a dr to recommend an MRI now since I am pregnant (less then 6 weeks to go) but I can't help but have anxiety that they may find something with the MRI. I did have an MRI without contrast a little over a year ago for other issues (prior to the T starting) and they saw nothing abnormal. Should I try and find another ENT and get a second opinion or just trust the one I saw?

Alternatively I could wait until I deliver and ask my OBGYN to order me an MRI while I'm the hospital when I deliver I suppose.. I'm just afraid to miss something but know my Obsessive compulsive disorder always tends to think the worst of things.. is an MRI recommended in most cases?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Natalie,
      For now I would look forward to Christmas and some well deserved time off to relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and if your ears are the same after you could push for a MRI if it would help you feel more at ease with your sound.
      Lots of love glynis x

• Like Like x 1
    3. teejay
      Bookworm

teejay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Acoustic Neuroma

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm due in 6 weeks (Jan 24) but anticipate baby a little sooner.. Once i deliver I will get to take 12 weeks off with the baby and my other children to bond and recover. I was thinking of waiting until after the birth and pushing for the MRI then if it's still bothersome.. Just worried about waiting. I worry about everything !!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know, I just saw your post on the other thread which prompted my question. I saw the Ent Several weeks ago and she did not recommend an MRI to me simply because my symptoms were not consistent with anything that would be found in those scans. I didn't ask for an MRI she just flat out said it isn't something they would offer me based on my description. I could message the ENT again of my concerns and ask her opinion again.

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Try not to worry as most MRI scans are ok.
      Even acoustic neuromas are very slow growing taking years to grow and some dont grow.
      If it was a problem with your ear bones you would have some side effects along with tinnitus.
      Hormones and fluid retention play a big part of tinnitus during pregnancy so fingers crossed for you....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 3
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Natalie,
      I agree with Glynis, and would like to mention: most ENT Drs, prefer to wait for 6 months before they start carrying out tests on a tinnitus patient. There is good reason for this. Many people habituate to tinnitus within this time and it can sometimes go away. The ear is a very delicate organ. Unless there are underling medical problems associated with the tinnitus, example: deafness, dizziness, balance problems. The best treatment for tinnitus is to leave it alone. Worrying over it makes matters worse and you have plenty to occupy your mind at the moment.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 4
    8. teejay
      Bookworm

teejay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      If you have big changes in your tinnitus and hearing, I would suggest speaking with your ENT and having a hearing test. If you've already had a hearing test, it will give you something to compare it to. Glynis is correct...neuromas take awhile to show up. Some people don't even get symptoms.
      Try not to worry yourself! Positive thoughts and meditating can help calm you. Prayers, love and support heading your way!!

TJ

• Like Like x 3
    9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An MRI won't show anything 99.9% of the time, but if you have decent insurance I'd say there's little reason not to do it for peace of mind.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your advise ;) I think I will probably ask for one after I deliver the baby if the T is still there. It would make me feel better, at least.

11. kmai

kmai Member

I have tinnitus as well for a couple of months now and concerned whether I should push them for an MRI as well, but have been told that since there's no hearing loss it's most likely nothing serious, and been to two ENTS. Hang in there! I know how it feels, just as frustrated as you are, but also sad too. Hopefully we'll find an answer.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I am actually showing mild hearing loss in one ear but they're not sure the cause. Even with that she did not recommend and MRI.. I'm hopeful we will all continue improving!

13. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      MRIs are not known to pose any risk to anyone - provided they do not use any contract medium or have metal inside of their bodies. In your case, an MRI would itself be therapeutic and perhaps allow your anxiety to settle. If you can afford it, you should consider a private MRI if it matters to you that much. You should certainly talk to your doctor again and be assertive.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for your reply, I greatly apprecaite it. I am 35 weeks pregnant.. That is my only hesitation for getting an MRI or pushing for one now. Do you think it is safe to wait until after I deliver and request an MRI at that time (or shortly after) or is it something I should push for immediately? As I mentioned I had an MRI a little over a year ago (without contrast) for another reason and nothing was found abnormal in that MRI.

15. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      MRI is always good. You may not have acoustic tumor but you can have something else serious going on in the brain.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      There's probably 99,9 percent of chance you don't need one at all..like it was in my case. However, I did MRI, cayse my gb gave me a prescription, just in case, or rather so that I don't worry it's a tumour or sth. Only I didn't worry at all it was a tumour, but I was scared like hell the noise of the machine would make t worse. It was a nightmare experience because of that fear. Fortunately, unjustified. Wait till after birth if you really want to do it. If there's anything mri could detect, 2 months won't change much , but ask a doctor ( how fqst does a tumour grow?) That having said, you very highly probably don't have any..

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am actually due now in about 5 weeks but probably will be induced in 4 weeks because of possiblity of hemmorage. I think I will message the ENT again and ask her opinion on this. I would prefer to wait for an MRI until after I'm no longer pregnant and maybe they could do it while I'm in the hospital after delivery (would be ideal). Did you wear ear plugs during your MRI? I've heard they're very loud and I did have one done last year but that was before I was worried about noise exposure..

18. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      Natalie, I had one, no problems found , but I am reading that there's different types. You too mentioned 'contrast', I will have to find out these differencies

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, when I had my MRI for suspected MS last September it was without contrast. For tinnitus, I don't know if they normally use contrast or not..