Poll: Would You Choose Complete Deafness Over Tinnitus If It Meant No Tinnitus At All?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Atlantis, Dec 24, 2015.

?

Would you choose complete deafness over tinnitus if it meant no tinnitus at all?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. redleg103
      Inspired

redleg103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise?
      Bad poll. You don't want to give people who lack knowledge about tinnitus the impression that if they make themselves deaf that will "cure" the T. I think most of us here know that if they lost their hearing the T would remain.

2. rightleft22

rightleft22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to noise
      I believe deaf people can have tinnitus and I imagine such a case would be worse
      I couldn't sleep last night and one of the thoughts going threw my head was worrying about becoming deaf and still hearing this fracking buzzing.

3. Jett

Jett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post concussion syndrome
      I Believe I read a story recently of just such a thing actually happening in a third world country ...a longtime T sufferer voluntarily finally had his auditory nerves cut to eliminate a nonstop screaming T level, only to wake up
      With no hearing but the T still screaming within his head!no way to mask it and no way to change it back
      ...a true hell on earth

4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Yes, I have heard of that. I believe a doctor told me that a while back that same thing happened to another person.

5. three4rd
      Thinking

three4rd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably long-term sound exposure and hearing loss
      Not a chance. I don't think we can imagine what it truly would be like to not hear at all. To not enjoy natural sounds, converse with family and friends, hear music (for me as a musician that would be huge), all these scenarios are a pretty extreme alternative to having T. I think this is a bit like asking - if you had to live with a few fingers amputated on both hands, would you rather that both your arms be cut off? Or if you had severe macular degeneration and highly limited vision, would you prefer to be completely blind?

6. three4rd
      Thinking

three4rd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably long-term sound exposure and hearing loss
      Exactly..my audiologist mentioned this also..that with the nerves cut the 'phantom' sound would still be generated by the brain since it would continue to search for the missing frequencies.

7. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      No. But honesty your question isn't remotely fair or even relevant. Tinnitus...the singlular word is woefully inaccurate and doesn't cover the spectrum. Those that answered yes to your poll likely all have intrusive tinnitus. Intrusive or acute tinnitus isn't even the same thing as mild tinnitus. Hand grenades and fuzzy slippers.

People take for granted the gift of hearing but when I listen to the nuance of sound in nature or the spoken word or a song that takes me to a time and place, I realize why hearing is so important and such a blessing. Hearing is a gift and why we try to protect it.

Would my life be just fine deaf btw for those that may even be heading in this direction? Yes.
      I personally believe my H and T are genetic. My grandmother, my mother and my older brother later in life had or have hearing loss. My older brother FWIW who doesn't hear as well as I do does not have T or H.

8. MikeGreen
      Uninvolved

MikeGreen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spotify
      Would T be fixed if you trained your brain not to focus on it and forget it ?

9. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      No. But T can be habituated to which is effectively training the mind to not focus on T.
      Harder for those with really loud T.
      The 'concept' of habituation is enigmatic as is how human beings even think. What creates thought? Why is the brain subdivided into the conscious versus subconscious mind...later being responsible for much of our belief system.
      And this is my opinion.... Habituation can't be a process of deliberation. Habituation is rooted in acceptance and letting go. Stepping outside yourself and not listening to the inner sound of tinnitus. Sure, background noise helps. But so does externalizing and projecting thought away from self.

10. MikeGreen
      Uninvolved

MikeGreen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spotify

I still find it a very interesting subject due to an experience I had in the past. I had a sound in my head, a noise. After telling my brain not to focus on it and that it was fake/imaginary. It disappeared. It was a small peep. Life is weird.

11. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Absolutely not. I still love music, birdsong and the sound of my loved ones. Tinnitus is a pain in the butt however good hearing is a precious gift.

12. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      No, I love music, birdsong and communicating with speach. I hate the tinnitus but being totally deaf is so isolating. I know a lot of totally deaf folk at church.
      A friend of mine with tinnitus once met someone who was deaf with tinnitus and also blind. That is unthinkable. Afterwards he was thankful for having only the tinnitus. I try to think of this and put my own suffering into persepctive. I know it doesn't help your own situation but makes you think what some people are able to tolerate.

13. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      Hi, actually I take back my words. I have been so happy lately. I discovered the artist Kimbra recently and I have been obsessed with her music. I also have been to a couple of musicals lately. I listen to my mom over the phone, I hear my husband talk to me. I have been enjoying life. I think I have been habituated fairly nicely. Honestly, I can still hear it, I still listen to it, sometimes it bothers me but I'm just happy! lol

• Hug Hug x 2
    14. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      That is wonderful!!! It just takes time. You may have a time here or there in the future where it bothers you but just know that it will pass and you can get over it. You just proved it! The more you beat it and the stronger you beat it, its going to effect your fight or flight system even less!! What does that mean? Way more tuning it out!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. thering
      Wishful

thering Member

Tinnitus Since:
      january 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I would say no. It sounds tempting but there are still so many auditory things to enjoy that i would be sad to not experience. maybe if my T was worse i would consider it further.

16. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I don't like hypotheticals. It is what it is today.

17. Mike9103
      Confused

Mike9103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No not at this stage, because my T is not severe and I can mask it most of the time . If it ever becomes severe then perhaps deafness would be preferable than being invaded by a constant high pitched noise that you can't mask.

18. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Deaf no T. I’m in. Sit out a few years in total silence until some clever f***er can cure deafness.

• Agree Agree x 1