Author
Benefactor
Dec 27, 2015
Westchester County, NY
Tinnitus Since
May 2008
Cause of Tinnitus
Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
For a month now, I've been doing the Polyvagal exercise. I find it definitely helps bring my tinnitus volume WAY down. I do it 2x a day (in the am & before bed) for approximately 1-2 minute each time. I also do it as needed when I get a spike. It's demonstrated very well on YouTube.

I hope this can help others.

@Ctjbush, this exercise was recommended by my massage therapist, who showed it to me briefly. I then went to YouTube & found Sukie Baxters Vagus Nerve Reset videos. TBH I just clicked on the first one, but I now do several of her exercises. It's very basic & extremely simple. Just lie back in bed, keep your head straight & move your eyes slowly up to the right & left. I think they are all basically the same.

Good luck!

I've just recently discovered these same exercises and some neck mobility ones and they definitely help. If not directly with the tinnitus then at least with relaxation. They are beneficial for everyone whether one has tinnitus or not and only take a few minutes max to do.

Vagus Nerve Exercises:

Neck Mobility Exercises:

@Ear Drummer, yes! I do these all too. They work great for tension, relaxation and my tinnitus related anxiety. But for some reason, the only exercise that seems to affect the tinnitus directly & positively is the PolyVagal exercise. I think it maybe because my tinnitus is more somatic. Although I do have hearing loss, my tinnitus is very much involved with inflammation, stress, neck muscle pain, cervical issues, tight traps and TMJ/jaw tension.

@guenguer, right. As we know not everything helps everyone. Sorry it didn't. But we keep trying!

I just thought I'd post this for people who haven't tried it. I was very surprised myself that it helped.

I've just recently discovered these same exercises and some neck mobility ones and they definitely help. If not directly with the tinnitus then at least with relaxation. They are beneficial for everyone whether one has tinnitus or not and only take a few minutes max to do.

...videos of exercises...
@Joe Cuber, have you tried any of these before? They seem to work (at least temporarily) for me and I've never seen these exercises discussed before (also, sorry to keep pinging you...!)

I find doing diaphragm breathing which falls into the polyvagal exercises category helps with relaxation (with me anyway). Lowers my heart rate when I seem to get a flight or fright flare up when my tinnitus seems "louder" or anxiety in general.

@Joe Cuber, have you tried any of these before? They seem to work (at least temporarily) for me and I've never seen these exercises discussed before (also, sorry to keep pinging you...!)
I missed your comment @silentnight, I don't mind at all when you ping me. Ping away!

I have not seen this, I'll watch and give it a go, thanks.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now