Positive or Negative Stories Regarding the Usage of Benzodiazepines for Tinnitus Relief?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cape crusader, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      Hello,

I’d like to hear about any positive or negative stories regarding the usage of Benzos.

Mostly Atavan (Lorazepam). I heard they will calm you down and give some tinnitus relief.

Thank you.

2. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Be very careful with that stuff... You might get temporary relief, but there could be a heavy price to pay, if you try to get off them.

Most people are reporting spikes once trying to taper down... Benzos are very addictive.

3. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Tinnitus is a significant version of ‘HELL !’

My own feeling is that for a very doubtful improvement you could face a much tougher time coming off of benzos.
      Members have said as much time and again.

Why take anything that could risk a greater hell.
      Definitely not for me.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      I wanted to try it for anxiety. Any other recommendations for that?

• Creative Creative x 1
    5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've been taking a low dosage of Lorazepam (0.5mg) at nighttime before bed. It helps me sleep and lowers my tinnitus. I never take it otherwise. Being that's a low dosage and the fact I take it once per day lowers my dependency. Coincidentally I'm down to 0.25mg and weening myself off it as we speak.
      Having said that, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without first consulting with their treating physician as to the pros & cons of taking this type of medication.
      Mike

6. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I also do MBCT and get the benefit of both medication and meditation.

7. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      Since you asked, I’ll share my story. I’ve taken Lorazepam for going on 10 years now. At one time I was switched over to Clonazapam. Same family but the longer half life of Lorazapam. I have since been switched back to Lorazapam and am presently prescribed it PRN.

Those that warn you that is is addictive and dangerous is very correct. Benzo’s do build up a tolerance and require increasing dosages to provide the same relief and trying to come off that physical addiction is often referred to as “benzo hell.” I know....I’ve gone through it in the past.

So, if it’s that dangerous, why do I use it? Sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks and, in my case, that is the case. My tinnitus is severe and I’ve suffered with it so long it has driven me literally mad. I suffer deep depression and anxiety because of my tinnitus. My Lorazepam is prescribed by a doctor who monitors me. My audiologist knows I take it and monitors me. I also see a psychologist who monitors my mental health.

I’ve learned to cycle off the shorter half-life of Lorazapam every few weeks and I taper down my dosages to keep from hitting the wall on tolerance. That’s why my dosage is a PRN.

So, to answer your question, mine is a positive story because I am certain that without the benzo, I would not survive. The benefit outweighs the risk. The Lorazapam does settle me down when my tinnitus causes me grief and my coping skills aren’t working. It doesn’t do anything for the tinnitus, either good or bad, but it settles down my reaction to the tinnitus which helps me to cope.

My only respectful suggestion to you is be sure a doctor is monitoring you, at least in the beginning, till you know how to manage benzo use. It took me a lot of years to make myself know how much I can suffer when cycling and tapering so I never have to go through benzo withdrawals again. Again, you and your doctor will need to balance benefit against risk.

Finally, I’m not saying benzo use is good or bad, you didn’t ask that. You asked for other’s stories and I simply chose to share mine.

Take care,
      Bobby

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I’ve tried various doses of Clonazapam, not helpful for tinnitus volume, or stress, plus tough to come off of.

9. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      What helped your stress or tinnitus loudness? Thank you!

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I feel the effectiveness of this med stack has waned somewhat after 3 years but it's still much better than not being on anything, even if the eventual withdrawal is going to be long and not fun.

I do my meditation with our kid a lot of the time now; I think it would have been a good skill for me to learn at that age...