Possible TTTS or Something to Do with ETD? Strange Thump Sound, Almost Like a Spasm

Discussion in 'Support' started by Liam92, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Liam92

Liam92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Hey everyone.

I've been a member here a long time. I got tinnitus in both ears way back many years ago, low rumble sound in left ear and high pitch in the right ear. It causes me no problems anymore. I really got so used to it that my brain literally filters it out if I don't think about it.

However, recently I have been getting this strange *thump* sort of sound, almost like a spasm maybe?

I do have a cold and feel a bit congested. I live in the UK where we have poor weather around this time, very cold.

It just came on randomly around the 10th of February, some days it wouldn't be there, others it would last an hour or even come and go throughout the day.

It's really made me extremely anxious. I have been taking decongestants thinking it may be due to my cold and sinuses blocking up? And due to my bad anxiety with it I have taken Diazepam sometimes which seems to make it stop. This also makes me believe it may be TTTS as Diazepam is a sort of muscle relaxant or it could just be a coincidence of me calming down?

I'm going to be honest. I'm super scared. It's not like a flutter, it's mostly just a single *thump* every 30-60 seconds.

This happens in absolute silence also. It does not need any noise to trigger it.

Anyone else ever had this issue maybe with an infection or whatever?

Any help or info would be much appreciated, thanks all.

2. College_with_MEM

College_with_MEM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      GERD symptoms and middle ear muscles' reactions.
      I know that nuisance all too well. No particular trigger source, just vague connections for me. I was prescribed diazepam for a time, but it didn't help me at all, which points to my source of TTTS or MEM not relating to just random spasms.

I sometimes hear clicking or bubbly sounds in my ear akin to what you'd hear from the liquid in a middle ear infection, but there's no pain during these sounds. I've theorized that it may be a fractured bone as I have recently found out that it's very easy to accidentally break the middle ear bones through fingers and other things manipulating I occasionally have a sharp pain in both ears at the same time, but it doesn't necessarily correlate to my episodes. My thumps usually come in high frequency bursts with breaks ranging from seconds to minutes, but I have some short episodes akin to yours with only a single thump every 30-60 seconds.

I've had some bad colds and congestion and my episodes didn't get worse, so congestion could be unrelated for both of us. Hopefully it is just congestion and it clears up for you soon. When the thumps do occur, do you feel a sensation or even feel or see your ear move? If I remember correctly, the tensor tympani is the 0nly muscle in the middle ear big and strong enough to cause the entire ear to move when it spasms.

Try taking Magnesium supplements before you sleep, though avoid super high dosages like 400mg as taking that daily will lead to rather unpleasant times on the toilet. If you're low on Magnesium and other elements like Potassium, it can contribute to muscle spasms. I've taken decongestants with mixed results, sometimes it seems to work, but it could also be that I wait so long to take the pills that by that time the episode is ending anyways.

Anxiety plays a big part too and for me does make it worse, calming down doesn't end the episode, but it certainly helps. It's easier said than done because the noise and sensation is so alarming and attention grabbing, but it isn't impossible.

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have had tinnitus for quite a while and experienced with it, so there's no need for me to start with the basics. However, as long as you haven't been using headphones, earbuds or headsets even at low volume or listening to loud music, I believe your symptoms are caused by the cold and sinuses blocking up which you've mentioned. In addition to this stress and anxiety will be contributing factors.

Try to calm down and relax for you are not a newbie, although I understand the thumping and spasms could be cause for concern as they are new. Give it time, take the medication you have been prescribed and if things don't improve talk to your GP who will probably refer you to ENT. I understand the worry this can cause but trying to diagnose your symptoms as possible TTTS or something else is likely to make you feel worse and isn't helpful.

Hope things improve for you soon.

Michael

4. mylesm

mylesm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Sounds like ttts