Psilocybin Stopped the Ringing in My Ears

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by JK888, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Wadeaus
      No Mood

Wadeaus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Microdosing worsened my tinnitus last August.

The first time I tried it, it quietened my tinnitus to a whisper. But then that night, I ended up with a big spike that lasted several days.

Seeing that the spike was only temporary and that my tinnitus was actually quietened while microdosing (I hoped that I could permanently quieten it through neuroplasticity), I decided to try it again, two weeks after my first dose.

I ended up doing this 3 or 4 more times, microdosing every two weeks. And every time, I ended up with a temporary spike. But the volume of my tinnitus never lowered again, like the first time. However, it really had a positive effect on my life in other ways. If it wasn’t for my tinnitus, I’d still be microdosing today.

Anyway, then I did something stupid out of desperation. I microdosed 3 days in a row. At the end of the 3rd day, I had the loudest tinnitus I’d ever experienced, with multi tones in my left ear (a first for me) and I was getting a lot of clicking in my left ear too. Something I’ve only ever experienced after a loud noise insult.The multi tones and clicking receded over the following days and the volume did slowly drop over time. But I did end up with a louder and more piercing baseline than before.

I did some digging around recently and found a study from 2020 on the effects of magic mushrooms on the brain. In the study, they believe they found Psilocybin increases Glutamate in certain parts of the brain and lowers it in other parts.

“Specifically, participants who received psilocybin demonstrated higher relative glutamate concentration levels in the mPFC, and lower relative glutamate concentration levels in the hippocampus.”​

I wonder if this explains what happened to me? Increased Glutamate levels caused my temporary spikes and then I experienced some excitotoxicity from the combined doses?

Me, myself, bye: regional alterations in glutamate and the experience of ego dissolution with psilocybin

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @bikerbandito - this was the person I was talking about who worked at the retreat and suggested their tinnitus diminished using psilocybin. They do not appear to have hung around.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      Anyone with reactive tinnitus, or loudness hyperacusis, had Psilocybin work for them?

Tempting. My tinnitus is so loud and piercing that it's driving me insane.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. MaxRabbit

MaxRabbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zoloft, NOISE, Anxiety, EARBUDS.
      I have read about Psilocybin being combined with Niacin and Lion's Mane supplement. I have the Lion's Mane but I have read about tinnitus spikes in those who used it alone. Unsure if I'll ever take it.

5. AxEars

AxEars Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm on Lion's Mane and have been since Day 3. Today is Day 64. Give it a shot. It seems like the only side effect is if you are allergic to mushrooms.

My ringing has lessened to where it's in the background. No idea if it's because I'm getting sleep or if it's the supplements or just plain time in quiet environments. What I do know is that if Lion's Mane has Nerve Growth Factor in it, and nerves regrow at 1 millimeter a day (providing they have not been destroyed beyond repair), the results will never be apparent overnight or over the course of a week. It took me a month to have the screaming fade to a background TV pitch/laptop fan. But mine will react to stuff and get louder if I'm around prolonged noise for too long. I'm in month two, and stories similar to mine seem to end by month 6/12/18/30/60 - what a fun phenomenon to have! Thanks brain!

One separate thought about this topic:

I wonder if microdosing isn't enough and macrodosing is. And I don't think one night of a trip is going to do it. The author said "5 grams, 5 days apart." That's Five Thousand milligrams of Psilocybin, 5 days apart. It also got worse before it got better, but after an aggregate 25 days of her or the retreat's protocol, it was gone as well as the headache condition.

5 grams is a "hero's dose" of Psilocybin. A microdose is one tenth of a gram, or one 50th of a hero's dose. If 25 grams over the course of a month is the sword to slay the dragon, we can't throw a shoe at it and expect it to die.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AxEars

AxEars Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have read through a lot of your posts, Tom. If you're ever lurking around - thank you.

Your story and the ones you posted about people you know have been a big help in my 2 months of being a part of this community.

Cheers, brother.