Psychologist or Psychiatrist?

Discussion in 'Support' started by leo17, Aug 31, 2017.

1. leo17

leo17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I was almost accustomed to sleeping with the tinnitus. So my doctor gave me a muscle relaxer to see the tinnitus lessened since he suspected it was some ATM problem.

The problem is that after the end of the treatment with the remedy I can not sleep right. Besides I'm without classes so I'm locked in the house.

I spent about 37 hours without sleep and had to use the zolpidem of my grandmother.

Today I'm anxious all day for fear of bedtime. I do not know which doctor to look for.

Any tips?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Melatonin can help sleep
      Sleeping tablets short term
      Long term for sleep have a talk to your doctor ....
      Love glynis

3. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi @le017,

A Psychologist will provide therapy, talking with you. A Psychiatrist can prescribe medication. I am sure you know the difference but I wanted to state that because the answer to your question depends on what you are looking for.

Both can help, and sometimes you can use both together (I have in the past). I would see one or the other soon since you cannot sleep.

I would caution against taking prescription medication unless it has been prescribed to you by a licensed medical professional. There are many factors that are used when deciding dosage, and which medication is prescribed. And, almost all medications, have side-effects and potential interactions with other medication (even vitamins, and over the counter pain relievers).

If you do feel you need to take something before you can see a doctor, please do not take your grandmother's zolpidem. Follow @glynis 's advice.

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      A psychiatrist can write medication prescriptions. A psychologist can't without a medical degree. Psychiatrists mostly write prescriptions related to their training in their field. Seeing someone to talk to is a good idea.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Amitriptyline has helped me to sleep even when my T was loud. It is non-addictive and I didn't feel drowsy the next morning.

• Agree Agree x 1