Pulsatile Tinnitus from Ohio

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Itsmorrison, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Itsmorrison

Itsmorrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Hello everyone! I am a 28 years old from northeast Ohio and I have been suffering from pulsatile tinnitus in my left ear only for about a year now. If I put pressure on my neck with my hand it goes away. I have been to my general doctor who prescribed Claritin-D and then nasal spray. After no relief she sent me to and ENT who then ordered and MRI with and without contrast that came back normal. He told me not to worry he doesn't think it's something I need to live with and referred me to a neurologist.... The neurologist ordered a neck and Brian MRA with and without contracts which was normal again. He also put me on blood pressure medicine which is still unclear due to me NOT having high blood pressure. After all testing was normal He then said the next step is a cerebral angiogram which he doesn't recommend due to the risks. He told me that he cannot say he has done everything possible to help me and good luck , he told me to go get a second opinion. It was like he gave me a pat on the back and said sorry not sorry! He referred my back to a different ENT. That appointment is set for this Wednesday. But I feel as if I'm wasting my time.

I am at my wits end! I cannot sleep, concentrate on my work and it's even hard for me to deal with everyday life. I do not know where to turn for help. I have severe pounding headaches only on my left side of my head. Sometimes I get nauseous due to the headaches. I honestly am at a dead end and need advice on what my next move should be! THANKS TO ALL AND CROSSING FINGERS FOR EVERYONE DEALING WITH TINNITUS

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @ltsmorrison,

I'm so sorry you're going through this, and not getting any answers. I have pulsatile tinnitus, too, in my right ear only, and have had it for over five years now. I've had the same tests you've had, with no diagnosis. Have you had a CTA scan? I understand that the CTA may reveal different information than an MRI or MRA. You might want to ask your ENT about the possibility of having that test.

Has the blood pressure medicine helped you? If the drug the doctor prescribed is a beta blocker, he may have thought that it might help your PT to be a little bit calmer, as beta blockers can sometimes slow or quiet the pulsating. I was on a beta blocker for several months, but I'm afraid it didn't help my pulsating very much at all.

If the new ENT is unable to help you, my suggestion would be to consider sending your scans to another doctor for a second opinion. Sometimes another pair of eyes can see things that may have been missed the first time around. There are two doctors who come highly recommended, and they will view your scans for a fee. They are Dr. Maksim Shapiro at NYU Langone Medical Center and Dr. David Eisenman, in Baltimore, MD.

Also, if you haven't already done so, you might want to check out Whooshers.com. There, you'll find information about pulsatile tinnitus, questions to ask your doctor, pulsatile tinnitus success stories, etc.

I wish you good luck with the new doctor, and hope he is able to help you. If I may offer moral support, you're welcome to PM me at any time. I certainly understand what you're going through right now.

Very best wishes,
      Karen

• Helpful Helpful x 1