Pulsatile Tinnitus Worsened After Amitriptyline and Oxazepam‏‏

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hanan, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Hanan

Hanan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blood flow issues
      Hello all,

From the end of this April I had begun suffering from pulsatile tinnitus in both ears, that began loud and ended to a low volume I could live with.

I had anxiety during this period, so my brother set me an appointment on 22 of May with his psychiatrist friend.

The psychiatrist lied to me, saying Amitriptyline does not cause tinnitus. He said "don't look at the adverse effects and don't Google it".

I almost put the Amitriptyline in the trash bin, but at the end, after weeks of poor sleep, I decided to take 25 mg of Amitriptyline.

I took it with Oxazepam as he ordered.

After 6 hours I woke up to a screaming tinnitus in my left ear, in the days later I felt it all over my head. That part ended.

But now I have pulsatile tinnitus much worse, louder, more prominent, faster, different sound, more electric, more influenced by what I eat and my anxiety.

I miss my old tinnitus. I didn't hear it most of the day.

I am worried that this will last for years.

Please share your opinion.

Thanks ahead,
      Hanan

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Hi, sorry you are going through this.

I have regular tinnitus as well. And for the last year or so I’ve had episodes of pulsatile tinnitus. For me, it primarily presents in my left ear and usually when I’m turning over in bed but only in the morning. If I’m laying down at night and flipping back-and-forth while I’m reading my iPad I don’t get it. I’ve also noticed that I’m getting it in my right ear as well. Sometimes after I go to find the stairs. Sometimes when I’m sitting there doing nothing at all. My physician checked my thyroid as well as had both of my carotid arteries assessed via ultrasound. All tests were normal. So I’ve been doing a ton of research on this. Pulsatile tinnitus is primarily attributed to vascular issues. It differs appreciably from regular tinnitus in terms of the pathways/ mechanisms to its development. I have not seen anywhere where it’s attributed to any use of medication, with the exception of medication to control blood pressure (loop diuretics) which may cause regular tinnitus but can alleviate pulsatile tinnitus by lowering blood pressure.

I think you need to see a neurotologist. Often the etiology of pulsatile tinnitus can be determined and potentially treated.

Best of luck.

3. Johan82

Johan82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection or noise
      Hi @Hanan, how are you doing now?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hanan

Hanan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blood flow issues
      Maybe better. Not sure.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hanan

Hanan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blood flow issues
      More than 2 months ago my pulsatile tinnitus got louder because of 25 mg Amitriptyline and 10mg Oxazepam.

It sounds different, more electric, faster, and it seems that the space it comes from is bigger.

Did the Amitriptyline cause changes in the brain? Is it temporary?

6. Johan82

Johan82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection or noise
      I also have an electric sound (hiss) in my left ear. Sometimes i think it's because of stress or an over active brain or central nerve system.

You took those meds because of anxiety. This can make tinnitus louder. However, Amitriptyline has tinnitus as a side effect. Oxazepam most of the time when you are trying to quit (withdrawal symptom). But I also only took 3 pills (Oxazepam) in April and one in July. I noticed it gave me severe side effects like depression and also, as well as louder tinnitus.

In your case Amitriptyline could be the stressor. Unfortunately it's difficult to say, is it the mental stress, the medicine. And is it permanent or temporary...

A colleague of mine also took Amitriptyline and noticed tinnitus, which was only temporary.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hanan

Hanan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blood flow issues
      @Johan82, can you elaborate on how your tinnitus is caused by an overactive brain or central nerve system?

8. Johan82

Johan82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection or noise
      It is a bit complicated to explain, because i am Dutch. An overactive brain/nerve system due to stress can distort the auditory cortex. Which is one of the most active part of the brain already. When you have stress or anxiety I guess this cortex will be overactive so it can't process information normally.

The problem with hearing, tinnitus, etc. is that the medical science doesn't know why and how exactly. It's like a universe still to be discovered.

How are you doing lately?

But you have pulsatile tinnitus. When you have stress/worries (also side effects of the ADs and benzos), your blood pressure and heart rate increases, which I think has more influence on your pulsatile tinnitus, which in return causes stress/panic so it maintains this vicious cycle.

Do you also have hearing loss?