Pulsing in My Ear...

Discussion in 'Support' started by del, Feb 17, 2016.

1. del
      Tired

del Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012-2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea.
      Hi, Glynis pointed me here so, uh, I actually wrote this post about what I am hearing and how terribly it criples my life.

Also a short summary would be okay I guess;

I'm 28 years old and I have a loud pulsing sound in my left ear for 2-3 years. Not hearable by others. Lessens when I press over the artery on my neck. Lessens and becomes louder randomly, has no relation with any daily activities or mood changes, just never goes away fully. Causes painful headaches/migraines and neck stiffness. Can't sleep, think, focus or work, also often can't understand other people in conversitation or when I need to read or watch something. Stressed, nervous, edgy, anxious, agressive, exhausted all the time. Already diagnosed with ADHD and depression, had the sound before these diagnosises, medication did no change (wasn't given any meds for depression yet, just counselling).

ENT and cardiologist both found nothing, sound and blood tests are normal, neck ultrasound is clean. Have appointments to a neurologist and a brain surgeon next week but I am already feeling beaten.

2. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Did you ask for meds for depression? Though they can take a few weeks to kick in, SSRI's treat depression and anxiety(which may be the cause of your "ADHD").

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      del
      Tired

del Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012-2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea.
      @AnxiousJon No, I didn't. I wanted to try counselling first, to see what can be done before I jump into medication. And for ADHD, I have not been using any meds since my doctor reassigned, there has been some problems getting an appointment from a new one. Since the diagnoses of both were new, meds were not that effective so it was me again coping with them both with my own way. Making daily plans since weekly or monthly schedules often fail, etc. But as I said, I had the pulsing before these two got medically recognized but it appears to be I had them from childhood (just wasn't diagnosed because of mom, complicated!). So nothing causes ADHD and depression is caused because of... well, life sucks. :D

4. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      In my opinion the diagnosis and treatment for ADHD is, at least often, and probably altogether, witch-doctory. The statistics for the amount of young boys on ADHD meds is appalling. It's a diagnosis of symptoms that can have many underlying causes, and the treatment(stimulants) is superficial and from what I understand very ineffective.
      Low serotonin can cause anxiety which can cause ADD/ADHD symptoms. Low serotonin can cause depression as well. I would give an SSRI a go. And in the meantime I would take a benzodiazepine like Klonopin(Clonazepam) to help calm down until the SSRI kicks in.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      del
      Tired

del Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012-2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea.
      I'm ok with bit of witch-doctory and a hint of voodoo!

Thank you for your opinion and suggestions tho, but I am not so keen to use such drugs out of doctor control =)

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @del,

I have pulsatile tinnitus, too. It is in my right ear only, and I've had a number of tests, but so far, nothing has been found. Yours may be more likely to be venous, due to the fact that you can press on your neck and quiet the sound. When I press on my neck, nothing happens.

I'll be interested to hear what the neurologist and brain surgeon have to say about your condition. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, you might wish to check out Whooshers.com. There is a lot of information there about possible causes of PT, and you'll find a list of printable questions that you can take to your doctor, regarding pulsatile tinnitus.

I certainly can sympathize with what you're going through. The constant pulsating can cause a lot of anxiety and worry. I have both a drumbeat-like pulsating and a high-pitched hissing sound in my right ear. Do you also have regular tinnitus in the affected ear?

Take care, and I hope you'll update us when you see those doctors.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      del
      Tired

del Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012-2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea.
      Yes, I am aware of the Whooshers.com and have been reading the articles and the Cured Wooshers page in tears, hope to be one of them one day. I also checked the recordings of others and mine very much like Crystal's 'woosh' though louder. Also thank you again <3

I had some whistling noise on both of them for one time and a very short while at... earlier Saturday or Sunday? But I also had some fever at that time so it might be related, not sure. It didn't continue more than an hour and wasn't constant even then, also haven't repeated. <.<

8. iolosdad

iolosdad Member

Hi folks my first post ! I have had a constant I pitched tone in both ears for a long time mire noticeably in the last year and I'm learning to tune out so not to hear it but it's the first thing I hear when I wake and the last think I hear when I fall asleep.
      I've had flu like symptoms past few days and I'm heating a load whooshing noise intermittently in my right ear. Dr's don't want to know they say it will pass I just gave to be patient

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @iolosdad

Welcome to Tinnitus Talk! I'm sorry you're hearing a whooshing sound in your ear. Since you are having flu-like symptoms, the whooshing noise may go away when you begin to feel better.

Yes, it can be difficult to totally tune out your tinnitus. But it sounds like you've made great strides in that direction. Keep working on distracting yourself during the day; that is one of the best things you can do to take your mind off your tinnitus.

Take care, and I hope you begin to feel better soon, and that your pulsating symptom goes away!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      del
      Tired

del Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012-2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea.
      I have been researching further today, as my PT got louder with a headache again, I also notice the blod flow at the left side of my skull. None of the doctors wanted MRA / MRI / CT yet, even the times I visited them with massive headaches / migraines along with the loud pulsing in my ear. They just told me to spend more time outside and walk more (I spend the entire summer swimming and enjoying the sun, nothing changed).

I was thinking should I ask for these scans as a patient to the brain surgeon and the neurologist that I am going to see next week? Especially if they don't bother with it and tell me to "Oh you just need to spend less time on PC and go out!" again. It is better that I am wrong than them, right?

And to be clear I'm a digital artist, I spend 3 to 8 hours on PC for my work, if I am lucky to keep my focus on, and few more to play games if I am not tired. I walk in a routine and I go to class, spend time away from PC, basically I don't live like I am glued to the thing. Also I didn't touch a single key or pen over the week, but apparently it is never enough for some people. :/

@Karen I would like your input too if you have time.

11. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @del,

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to push your doctors for some testing, if only for your peace of mind. Those of us with PT do need to be checked to be sure there are no conditions present, such as fistulas, etc. Hopefully the doctors you are going to see have a better understanding of what PT is than your ENT did.

I went to another doctor for a second opinion when my PT first started, and he immediately ordered an MRI/MRA for me. Nothing was found, but at least I had the peace of mind of knowing that I don't have a life-threatening condition.

Don't forget to print out that information on Whooshers.com to take to your doctors. It might be helpful in initiating a discussion about your condition.

Best wishes, and do update us on what happens when you see those doctors!

Karen

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      del
      Tired

del Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012-2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea.
      Writing from hospital, rather bored and tired. Brain Surgeon asked for tomography and blood test, and somehow he didn't behave like I was crazy. I will see him tomorrow morning for results. Half an hour ago I went to my appointment with the neurologist, it was like meeting the older and blonde version of Dolores Umbridge (and ironically currently a cat is on lose in the hospital) and with the most unlively voice (I guess I would be that unlively if my room was filled with loud radio nonsense and music too) she asked for a neck x-ray and then told me that probably I have to live with it. I am now back from x-ray waiting to see her for my results.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      del
      Tired

del Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012-2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea.
      Neurologist checked the x-rays and said there was... flatness? flattening? on my neck because of... being tense? She wrote me bunch of meds.

14. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @del

I don't know what the doctor means by "flatness". Does he mean that something is malformed in your neck?

Anyway, I hope the meds will help you. Please update in a few days, after you've been taking those meds for awhile.

Take care, and I hope things get better for you!

Best wishes,
      Karen

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      del
      Tired

del Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012-2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea.
      Hi @Karen, I think she was talking about Spinal Cord Flattening in neck, she didn't go into detail but I got the copies of the scans and will show them another doctor for detailed explanations.

Brain Surgeon checked the tomography and blood test results this morning and told me they were clean. So he wrote me a paper to send me to another city's hospital for MRA scan because apparently they can't do it here. We will get an appointment for it but I don't know currently when.

I am honestly so tired of all these runs I want to rest for a day and go to my class...

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. robinbird
      Fine

robinbird Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitch hearing loss, both ears, right is worse

17. robinbird
      Fine

robinbird Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitch hearing loss, both ears, right is worse
      Hi, I came down with PT and T last Feb '15. Still don't know why. But, I was interested in your post when you said you were a digital artist. Lately, I have gone back on my Mac to do art or photos. I notice when I spend several hours sitting at it and working, my T is the worst. I am going to see a chiropractor in April. I know mine is not from loud noise. I think it has something to do with my back or spine. Interesting now when I press my right side of my head especially the right temple and in front of my right ear, the buzz changes to a higher pitch. I have seen two ENTs and had MRI and CT Scan. Nothing found. One ENT said I had PT. Prior to my PT/T I was working hard in retail. Lifting etc. Wonder if something happened. The buzz always is louder after a hot shower. Blood flow? After a while it calms down. Sitting watching tv always makes it louder to. I am thinking something is blocking or pressing a nerve or vein? I take half a lorezapan at night when the intensity gets to be too much. The sounds range from air rushing, high pitch, clicking, soft breezy, water flowing, heart beat usually when laying down, steady buzz. Intensity changes all the time.

18. Steven Cee

Steven Cee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/feedback
      It's quite possible your undiagnosed ADHD all those years, led to the depression, something not at all uncommon for people in that situation, like myself. All those things we just can't seem to get done, goals we somehow just can't reach, being distracted so much of the time, and beating yourself up for having so much potential, but not being able to put it to use.... and not having a clue as to why you just can't seem to get it together, yeah, all that is quite enough to bring on depression, and anxiety, as well, another common corollary to going for years with undiagnosed ADHD, or even when you know it, but still aren't able to complete tasks, etc... And having to deal with this Tinnitus bs, on top of everything else, is certainly not helping. Good luck with your situation, hope you can find some relief...