Pycnogenol May Relieve Some Types of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by erik, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Lulu187

Lulu187 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I live a healthy lifestyle and have low body fat %, I weigh 50kgs and am 165cms, am 23 y.o I avoid sugar almost exclusively. Had a blood test not that long ago and everything came back normal. What do you suggest I add to the list when I go for bloods? I also have an MRI scheduled.

2. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

CT scan is how they found my bilateral osteomas. I had previously had an MRI before developing tinnitus and the osteomas were not noted in the review. They were obviously there at the time. These things take years to develop. Often thought to be congenital. CT scan is substantially safer for tinnitus sufferers too. Machines aren’t loud and scans are rather quick. At least that was my experience. I still wore plugs.

• Like Like x 1
    3. josh77

josh77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/4/2015
      Tried it for a few days. Actually thought it was helping. But it made it harder to shutdown and sleep. Who know, maybe something to it.

4. chuto

chuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I tried Pycnogenol (Solgar) but it gave me panic attacks after a few days. I don't know why, so it was exacerbating my tinnitus (high pitch multi sounds). That's why I couldn't use it long-term...

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Gordon Steinberg

Gordon Steinberg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/25/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Loud Noise
      Here much later but I also found it seemed to set off my crazy high tones which are not always there. Nevertheless, I am trying again because of the strong clinical data.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      For me Pycnogenol worked wonders! Just be careful if you have an autoimmune disease...

7. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      How did it help? How much of a tinnitus reduction?

8. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Personally I think Pycnogenol works best if your tinnitus is Meniere's related, and for me, it took away my dizziness and my tinnitus is super low while I'm taking it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      No change for me - used 100mg for 2 months of genuine pycnogenol. Tinnitus is noise induced.

10. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      @GBB is your tinnitus high pitched or low pitched? Just wondering.

11. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      High pitch but I do not have Meniere's for sure.

12. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      Okay. I have both high and low pitched tinnitus. The roaring is the one that drives me batshit crazy though. Worth a shot.

13. CindyCR

CindyCR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Pycnogenol seems to be working for me! One week in at 150 mg. 90 mg in the am and 60 mg before bed. First time in 18 months two relatively quiet days. Will report back whether it sticks. I do have hearing loss without any history of exposure to loud noises. Perhaps some forms of hearing loss are tied to inner ear blood flow? Not sure. I amalso sleeping much better.

• Like Like x 3
    14. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @CindyCR - do you have any update on this? I hope that this continued to help you.

Best wishes.

15. CindyCR

CindyCR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, not dramatic but definite improvement in volume, pitch and frequency. Will continue to update.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @CindyCR - happy to hear it.

Sorry, you have no intro thread, but I also see you are using Curable. Is there any chance of saying how that helps/what you do on there? And how was your tinnitus and how is it doing now?

Best.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. CindyCR

CindyCR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, the Curable app is the most effective treatment I’ve tried so far for learning to be less reactive and anxious. I have an intrusive case for sure. Took a while of doing all the education and meditations. Not a quick fix but if you put in the effort and time it seems most see improvement. Search the Curable Facebook page for tinnitus and you will see some encouraging comments.

18. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, that's really helpful. I know it's based on the whole Sarno thing of chronic pain being a learned response and persisting after the original cause has been resolved. I do wonder to what extent tinnitus could be classed (in some cases) as a learned response of our brain to an initial trigger (body sensing danger, being on high alert, sending the same signals) - essentially, dysautonomia.

Have you read the Mind-Body Prescription? Or Nicole Sachs?

Happy that it is helping - I hope you continue to see improvement.

19. CindyCR

CindyCR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you. I’ve been suffering for almost 2 years chronically so anything that improves the situation is hopeful.

I have not read the book I will put it on my list.

Yes, your description of the anxiety response getting stuck and triggering the symptoms is the concept. Apparently there’s a significant percentage of people whose brain turns tinnitus off in a matter of months and then those of us who suffer for years. The ones who suffer for years tend to have pre-existing anxiety or depression. Sounds like blaming the victim but actually this is the most helpful approach I’ve found so far.

20. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Pycnogenol didn't help me. Rich man's Ginkgo biloba.

21. CindyCR

CindyCR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How long did you take Pycnogenol? It took several weeks to work for me. 180 mg in divided doses a day.

22. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      3 months.