Question About New Sounds Showing Up, and Lots of Variation of Sounds

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hil, May 26, 2016.

1. Hil

Hil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      None of the sounds I have are constant. Some are there most of the time. Some are there only occasionally.

Some are there, very noticeably for a few weeks or a month or more, but then fade more into the background.

Volume and pitch change, also.

I also keep getting new sounds every so often.

It still hasn't been determined what caused my tinnitus, but it's likely due to antidpressant withdrawal and extreme stress. It may also have something to do with my new antidepressant.

Does anyone have any info on what can cause tinnitus to be very changeable? Is it likely to stay being so changeable, or does it tend to eventually settle? If you keep getting new sounds, are you likely to do so forever? Or does it tend to level off at a certain point?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Hil,
      Over time your tinnitus should settle.
      Coming off antidepresants and starting new ones will cause tinnitus to go haywire for a while as the chemicals effecting your brain need to balance out.
      Hope your tinnitus sounds calm down soon....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hil

Hil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      I've been on the new antidepressant for almost 7 months though. Would it still be sorting itself out at this point?

I'm also concerned that each time a new tinnitus sound happens, it joins the repertoire of other sounds. As in, it never leaves completely. It may go at times, but it stays in the circulation of sounds.

4. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I can't say that I have any idea what is going on, but I have the same thing. It's super irritating, not to mention scary. It seems like my ear must be breaking.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      @glynis gave you good advice. Tinnitus variation is not uncommon at all in the first months. Your brain hasn't decided yet what exactly is going on. You wouldn't believe the kinds of noises I heard in the first year. My brain finally decided on a raspy tea kettle whistle and a hiss with the occasional squealing sound. Volume changes from day to day but with no predictable pattern. Pitch doesn't change much.

• Like Like x 1