Questions about earplugs

Discussion in 'Support' started by Littlebailey, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Is it safe to sweat in them? Riding a bike, working out a gym, that sort of thing?

Also, how long can you wear them? Should you only have them in for several hours a a day? Are there any adverse effects to know about?

Thanks.

2. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      don't tell us you're gonna wear them 24/7, there's no need, unless you're in a very noisy environnement 90db+.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      As Valentin suggests there are indeed adverse effects that can arise from overprotecting your ears. Namely, you can develop hyperacusis. So only wear earplugs in environments where the noise level is loud enough to cause auditory damage.

Stephen Nagler

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014

Sounds good. And thank you. It was mainly just the gym, where it seems pretty loud. Maybe a couple times a day, about an hour. Is that too much? And how can you tell if the noise level is too loud?

5. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      As a general guideline ...

If you have to raise your own voice to be heard by somebody standing next to you, then the noise is too loud. If you don't, it isn't.

Stephen Nagler

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014

And if not quite that loud, it's better not to wear them? Also, is it okay to sweat in them? The reason I ask is the guy at the music shop said not to get them wet. Don't moisten them before putting them in, he said. Probably a stupid question, just wanted to check.

And thanks again for all the help. This forum is really is a godsend.

7. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Right.

I can see not soaking them in water before inserting. But sweating? Never heard of that being an issue. It's not a problem with custom musicians' earplugs that are made from silicone impressions taken by an audiologist. And it's not a problem with the disposable foam earplugs you can get at drugstores either.

Stephen Nagler

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
    9. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      You are welcome.

Stephen Nagler

10. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Great advice from Dr. Nagler. I used to wear ear plugs all the time too due to severe hyperacusis which turned all normal sounds into piercingly hurtful sensations. I literally bought $200 worth of them of various kinds, thinking that I might be dependent on them for life. Little did I know I would recover from it to the extent that I can ride long flights or go cinema or parties without them. I just have to be prudent but not over protecting. Way back, even the soft voice of my wife and the sound of driving hurt. Now I am fully recovered. I must thank Dr. Nagler & Rob way back advising us newbies not to over protect our ears for normal sounds to void developing sound sensitivity. So the ear plugs were coming off slowly and within a year, the hyperacusis just faded for me. Just listen to these experienced T veterans and you can't go too wrong with their advice.

11. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Dr. Nagler ..I do wear while driving because some times very very loud motor cycles passes by and i am Afraid it will make T loud .
      Plus I have a very heavy car and when I close the door it makes super loud noise . Do you think door slam would spike the T?