Questions About Spikes

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jkph75, May 17, 2016.

1. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What is a spike? What causes it? How do you know if it is permanent?

2. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      A spike is an often temporary increase of loudness or/and new tones. It can be caused by many things, loud noises, exposure to a certain frequency or noise, stress, emotions (sadness/anger etc) and also neck stiffness or TMJ. It can be all sort of things to cause it. For some, spikes goes over within the day, the next few days, a week, two weeks or even months. The thing is that you can't know for sure when it will go away or if it is a permanent thing. Often it is just a spike and it will go away by itself, and it is important to remain calm and not panic about it. The anxiety will just cause it to feel worse.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AWilson32

AWilson32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphone use
      I've gone through a spike in both ears in the last few days, and I'm hearing multiple tones compared to the stable T I had before and was just about managing to deal with.

@Fangen I really hope its temporary but I don't know how I can get a decent night's sleep like this. My mood has sunk so low after a period when I felt I was getting back into a good routine.

4. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Relax and just try to ignore it. I know it is REALLY hard and much easier said than done. But anxiety really makes it worse and if anything, prolongs the pain you're going through. I will settle soon, so try to not listen for it and carry on with your day like any other and soon you'll feel better!

• Agree Agree x 1