Quiet Room Causes Spikes

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jay M, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Any time I sit in a quiet room I get a temporary spike thats lasts about 10-15 minutes. This is not my perception, its louder. The same problem occurs when I wear foam plugs. Any one else experience this kind of spike?

2. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sounds more like fleeting tinnitus (Transient Spontaneous Tinnitus) than a spike. And yes that happens to me almost daily, but I don't think that being in a quiet room has anything to do with it really.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      From reading up about TST, it typically lasts only about 20 seconds. My episode from being in a quiet room can cause my T to get louder until I turn on some sound or leave the room. Them it takes about 15 minutes to calm back down. It's like my T is opposite of being reactive to noise bc its being reactive to silence.

4. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Jay M
      It sounds like the absence of residual inhibition; there are certain songs I can listen to (while running) that make my T completely disappear for about ten minutes (after song completion); that is residual inhibition. In your case, some type of ambient noise is acting as a residual inhibitor; failing that, your T spikes up.

Just a guess...

Mark

5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Without the input of sound (outside source) your t will always be perceived as louder. I can barely handle sitting in a quiet room, my brain locks onto the tinnitus and things get insane. My tinnitus seems so loud that the noise actually hurts my head. This is not my tinnitus reacting and actually getting louder in a quiet room, this is my tinnitus being perceived as louder with no external source noise taking away from it.

Reactive tinnitus is when your tinnitus actually reacts, not just your perception (hearing it more or less based on environmental sounds).

• Like Like x 1
    6. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      For me, after I do the dishes my tinnitus really goes down a lot for about 30 minutes. Im not sure why this happens, but it does. I guess the sound of the running water has something to do with it. I just wish it lasted longer. But I will take what ever I can get. But it is interesting. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them ?

Louie
      Quietatnight

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well the thing about TST is that very little is known about it and that is also happens to people who doesnt have T. The 20 second thing is just speculation and a generalization. TST can last up to several hours but it's very usual however that the new tone just appears from nowhere and then fades away just as quickly. What separates a TST from a spike is that i is a new tone that shows up. A spike is your normal T that gets louder.