Raging Tinnitus to Tolerable Humming After Using Diclofenac Sodium (Voltaren) 1% Topical Gel

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Klat2nik, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Klat2nik

Klat2nik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been applying a finger tip amount of Diclofenac Sodium 1% gel to the condylar process just below both ears and rubbing it in twice daily.

I have only been doing this for a few days but I have found that my episodic raging tinnitus has been reduced to a tolerable humming. I’ll follow up on this post if changes occur for the better or worse.

Diclofenac is a non steroidal anti inflammatory (NSAID) available over the counter and is in the same category as Ibuprofen or Naproxen. Perhaps Diclofenac targeted externally applied low dose has benefit?

Note:
      Q: Do NSAIDs cause ringing in the ears?

A: The usage of NSAIDs at excessively high doses will induce inner ear disturbances, causing tinnitus and mild to moderate sensorineural hearing loss. These otological side effects are often transient and reversible after the cessation of NSAID consumption.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Glad to hear. Interesting that it is helping. Perhaps you have stumbled onto something.

Regarding the quote pertaining to the use of NSAIDs, I’ve read that as well and both my audiologist and ENT said it can cause trouble at high doses, but no one can seem to define a high dose. I have a sprained ankle and bursitis in both feet as a result. I’m in a ton of pain. I’ve taken some Naproxen on and off but I’m afraid to take any. I wish they had some sort of threshold so you would know what the limit was on NSAIDs.

• Agree Agree x 1