Random Observation

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amanda~, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Amanda~
      Depressed

Amanda~ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I've Had it as long as I can remember
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I myself personally find that after being in a rather loud environment (well loud to me anyway) my ears still ache from the noise they were exposed to, I then find myself looking for silence so they can recover only to find my tinnitus is ringing louder than usual which I suspect irritates my hyperacusis even more so. But this is just a theory because it poses the question "can a sound I alone can hear provoke my hyperacusis?"

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I'll have a go. When you move into the quiet environment your T perception increases, causing anxiety, which in turn triggers the mechanism of H, whatever that may be. I'm increasingly of the opinion that stapedial myoclonus plays a huge part in augmenting T with H, and that can most certainly be set off by anxiety. What form does your H take?

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amanda~
      Depressed

Amanda~ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I've Had it as long as I can remember
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That is interesting because I do also suffer from anxiety and depression so it might be easier for me to get triggered idk
      Also to answer your question I'm not all that sure I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about my hyperacusis and just H in general because I was only diagnosed two months ago with H. My Doctor was lacking on the details

4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      "Lacking on the details". Understatement at its finest. Really, they have no idea.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. I don't think H is entirely anxiety based...but anxiety certainly makes it worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      anxiety, depression and T go hand-in-hand and continue the cycle. Even if you cannot do something about your T, you can still address your issues with anxiety and depression. Over time as your anxiety and depression improve, so will how you feel and react to your T.

• Like Like x 2
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "anxiety" can't exist in a vacuum; it's a sign that several things are fundamentally out of whack. The HP axis is disrupted. Lack of GABA-mediated inhibition causes perceptual input to be felt more strongly. Cortisol and adrenaline are circulating in the body in greater-than-usual quantities. All of these things have profound physiological consequences, and probably impact gene expression (I know a lot less about that than the chemical side).

8. I use to get H with tmj flares. No anxiety. No T. Just sensitivity to sounds. Would last a day or two and leave. I didn't even know what h was...

Yep excess cortisol and adrenaline over time can really cause a wack of symptoms, otherwise known as " anxiety disorder" or just anxiety...I'm just getting tired of alot of people assuming H is anxiety because their's went away..assume nothing without facts!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's frustrating to me when people say that stress or tension or depression causes hyperacussion.m doctors tell me constantly I'm stressed or depressed. I am not. I have two children aged eight and thirteen who I home school. People may think this is a huge stress. My children are excellent kids and my husband is wonderful. I have no stress in my life or depression. I can say that at times the T and H can make you feel a bit stressed or down but they are not causing it. Perhaps there are some who have stress or depression as a cause but I'm tired of doctors just throwing this at you as an answer. Ni do not have depression and I am not stressed. I'm a very happy go lucky positive person by nature and I think I cope amazingly well with the symptoms I have. These can be de I,I rating at times to the p,lint I cannot speak or walk but it has not stopped me living my life yet or got me so down that I cannot go on. The T and H can cause me some stress and sadness but it doesn't work the other way around in my case.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Yes it is very, very frustrating when docs play the psych card. My doc does the same and yet there is blantantly obvious physical reason for my T and H.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      It's its so obvious than what do you think this physical reason is? Aside from a very big ear infection I don't think anything T related becomes obvious even with a thorough examination.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Then you don't know much about T.

13. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      What Paul said is correct but it doesn't have to be "subjective anxiety".

Sounds you hear are filtered through the limbic system. Well, it makes sense that Tinnitus would be filtered through there as well. So when you perceive your T as louder and it bothers you, that gets your limbic system worked up and makes the H worse.

So no, it's a misconception that it's subjective anxiety. It's something your body simply does unless you can work on training it NOT to do it. That's what I would suggest for you.

14. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      This sounds like me. Before my "incident" and subsequent decent into the hell of all these symptoms, I would have described myself as "happy go lucky" and "carefree".

Unfortunately, the limbic system doesn't care. It can be dysfunctional whether you experience subjective "stress" or not. You and I are living proof. I'm working on ways to try and calm my limbic system and so far they are working. I'm going to keep trucking! Have you tried any yoga, meditation, etc?

15. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

I'm so sorry you no longer feel happy go lucky and I hope you can become that way again despite your symptoms.

I don't see the need for meditation or yoga and also my religious beliefs mean I would stay right away from it. I thank you though for your suggestion and respect your feelings on the matter. The best relief I find is walking. I walk miles and miles until I can't move my legs any more :). I don't know why but I love walking.

16. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Oh okay
      Oh
      Oh okay. Not sure what religion and meditation have todo with each other. Meditation has actually been shown to increase gray matter in the brain and has many other benefits to the cns. I'm trying it out to see if I can calm my system further to get rid of the H finally.

But if it's not something you see working, I understand! Good luck in your healing.