Random Onset of Tinnitus :(

Discussion in 'Support' started by AntonR, Sep 3, 2014.

1. AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Well, it started last Thursday night, noticed random ringing in my head while watching TV, thought nothing of it until I woke up the next morning and the ringing was still there.. Never been a fan of noise, so I really can't imagine this is from hearing damage..just absolutely random...

I've always had issues with impacted earwax in my life and I was hopeful that was the cause of my Tinnitus, unfortunately after my visit to the ENT and having my ears suctioned the ringing continues. He said he wouldn't be surprised that the tinnitus was being caused by the earwax due to how impacted it was, and that it should settle down, however from all the reading I've done I know this is probably not true...So at this point I guess I'm in this for the long haul as much as I don't want to believe it. Obviously I'm not alone in this, but I just can't feel anything but hopelessness at the moment, literally on the verge of breaking down every hour and I've only had to deal with this for a week.. I can't imagine what my future is going to be like, god what I'd do for some silence...

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      It's scary at the start mate . Heck I still have woozy days 7 months in but that's only due to my own thinking . What I want you todo is go outside and go for a walk

3. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      Also try not to worry just yet there is a good chance for you it'll go away

4. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      Also have you had any antibiotics ? In the last few months ? New medication . Do you drink a ton of coca cola ?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      No antibiotics, I use to be on them a few years ago like crazy for acne, until I went onto accutane (off of that for over 2 years now), so no, no antibiotics as of lately, no new meds. I am a big caffeine fan, but I've been laying off that ever since the onset of this..

Edit- Well come to think of it, about 2 months ago I was on antibiotics for my wisdom teeth for 7 days, can't imagine that has anything to do with this tho.

6. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      Coke has aspartine in it and when you od on aspartine you can get tinnitus but will go away when you stop it

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Definitely don't think thats the cause, I maybe have a can or two a week if that.

8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      What was the name of the antibiotic you were on?

9. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      All good buddy . As I said before try not to worry about it . Your going to be ok

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I wish I remembered, but I don't and unfortunately the prescription bottle is long gone.

11. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      If it was drug ending in mycin i bet you thats what caused it.. Even if it was 2 monthes ago. Anything ending in mycin is posion to the ears and can cause T.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Well, I really, really wish I would of known that 2 years ago... As mentioned in the original post, I had some really bad acne a couple of years ago and the first solution dermatologists throw at you for acne is Antibiotics, I was literally on them for a year and a half, being dosed with different/stronger versions as no progress was shown. I don't doubt that I was taking something ending in mcyin for a long while..

Still really at a loss for words as to how random and out of the blue this ringing came...Just watching tv as any other night and bam randomly I noticed it and its stuck since. I would of thought that this onset would happen during the months that I was eating all these damn pills..

This whole situation, really blows, it's nice talking to people who are actually going through it.. I'm remaining hopeful that it may actually fade, as its only been a week, but at the same time I've read of so many horror stories that at this point I feel I'm stuck with this.

Edit: Now that you mentioned it Grace, I'm remembering during my acne days I was put on Clindamycin, however I only took it for about 2-3 days due it to causing vertigo. I believe thats the only "mycin" that I've been put on, but I could be mistaken. I was definitely on Doxycycline for a long time, but that never caused any tinnitus during the tine.

13. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      Stay the fcuk away from horror stories

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I know, I've been doing my damn best man.. But my first instinct it to google the hell out of tinnitus, just like anyone else I imagine. Browsing through random tinnitus forums was a terrible idea..

15. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      My advice to you read dr naglers letter to a tinnitus sufferer . Get the information you need off here . Only listen to positive people . Fear breeds fear . Change your thinking do not fear it . An interesting quote from captain jack sparrow . The problem is not the problem . The problem is your attitude about the problem . Get out in nature that stuff helps

• Like Like x 2
    16. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      You gotta get out of your head and do things sitting around feeling sorry for yourself is not really productive and makes you feel bad ain't no one got time for that

• Like Like x 1
    17. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Your gonna be just fine. I remember when i came down with it and i did the same thing, googled it got myself all worked up.. This is normal but just dont listen to horror stories they dont help and everyones different. Its only been a week, it can go as quick as it came. And its really hard to say what caused yours. Could it have been the antibiotics you were on even though it wasnt mycin? Maybe cause tinnitus is a common side effect for drugs and it does happen to some people. How loud is your T? You said its in your head not your ears? And is it high pitched medium pitched or low pitched.. Does it sound like eeeeeeee? Hissin type.. Static ect.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Yeah definitely feels like its in my head, can't particularly distinguish if its in the left or right ear, literally just sounds like its coming from the middle of my head if that makes any sense. Very very high pitched and constant, eeeeeeeee.

19. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Can you try to mask. For example do you hear it clearly when you get a shower?

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I've tried masking, the shower/running water definitely seems to mask it a bit, on the other hand things like tv's, music and etc seem pretty useless at masking.

21. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      :-/ where do you live if you dont mind me askin? And are you over 18? Cause you could always try to get in on the Am101 trial...

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I'm over in Redwood city, CA (22 years old), whats the Am101 trial?

23. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Oh okay well google auris medical... Its a clinical trial to treat accute tinnitus 1-3 monthes.. They basically give you a shot in your ears and you wait to see if your T fades/goes away. Theres been some success and they say the sooner the better, but you would have to at least guess on how you got T cause they dont accept answers like "it came out of nowhere".

24. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

@AntonR I'm sorry you have to deal with this ringing in your head but chin up - it will get better. Plus the doctor is right in that there is a chance that it will fade away. Luckily yours had a cause and now that it's removed well, who knows what the body is capable of, right?

Antibiotics can definitely cause tinnitus but from what I understand it would generally start while you're on them. That said, there are those of us on here who blame the drugs and it started well after being off the medicine... certainly not two years though.

Do you have any idea what was given to you for your wisdom teeth at all? Usually you are given amoxicillin for infected teeth or an impacted wisdom tooth. Clindamycin is also used among others but I believe that amoxicillin is the most used drug for that condition. I'm not a doctor by any means but if that's what you took then it should be safe as it is a penicillin class drug.

The clindamycin you took a few times too is safe for your ears also. Most -mycin's are bad and in the aminoglycoside class of antibiotics. This particular one is a lincosamide but yes always be weary of -mycin's.

Doxycycline has been implicated in tinnitus among some people. As has tetracycline. They're part of the same group. It really isn't clear however as I've read some people disagree with the relationship but if you haven't had this for years then I would think you are fine and this did not cause your tinnitus.

I just recently did a lot of investigating with antibiotics too as I think maybe Bactrim made mine worse. The relationship still isn't clear to me but hey - at least I am a mini-fount of knowledge now :p

The only thing you can really do now is to try and take it easy and enrich your environment with sounds. Silence is no longer your friend. Have a fan on always in your room or some other competing sound. Even if it doesn't mask your ringing completely it is good to have competing sounds... something else for your brain to focus on.

Good luck.

25. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Well, let me say this: I am a year in (also very high pitched tinnitus @ 18kHz), noise induced by wearing a bad helmet and poorly fitted earplugs while riding my bike. These days it is very hard for me to imagine that I used to be massively distressed about this "beep" -----> you will be fine!

26. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Tinnitus since 08/2014? Last week?
      A very good candidate for corticoids.
      I'd go to my doctor and talk some dexamethasone or Prednisolon. ASAP.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      An mri too. .
      Just to be on safe side..

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I suppose mine could of been caused by the same thing.. I've been riding bikes for a while now, never thought that could cause tinnitus, but I suppose it can definitely be a tad loud.. And I never used ear plugs, just quality helmets, god. Theres just so many things that this ringing could of come from, I have this feeling I wont be able to pin point the exact cause..

29. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      you are missing my point.....;). You feel hopeless...and on the verge of going mad! I was exactly the same for about 3 months, followed by another 3 month of slight improvements. Step by step I just got used to it. These days I tend to forget about it for hours. I will take time...but you will be fine.

Make sure you get some proper hear tests done. Follow the advice of the other posts in this thread.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Yeah... I know. I just can't get my mind off of it at the moment.. Obviously you know the feeling..I'm trying to stay as positive as I can, but thinking about the possible long road ahead of me just throws me back down..