Random Onset of Tinnitus :(

Discussion in 'Support' started by AntonR, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      I know. But you are not alone...

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Thats literally the only thing that helps... God what a horrible, horrible condition. I need to get ahold of something for anxiety and stress, past couple of nights have been really rough.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      You can do a couple of things.

1. If you have acute problems getting sleep at all, go see your doctor and talk about benzo's for a period of a couple of days.
      2. Talk about the use of melatonin in high dose for a while. It knocked me off my feet and got me through the first couple of months. Melatonin is the natural sleep hormone, it will tell your body and mind to go to sleep. Not nearly as powerful as a benzo, but non addictive and you do not build a tolerance level
      3. Take long evening walks (45 minutes, atleast). It will calm you down in the long run and will help you to go of to sleep.
      4. think about picking up a yoga or tai-chi class. Again, nog magic fix, but it can help you relief some physical tension
      5. If you have trouble sleeping because you are fixated on the beep, use masking sounds. I used white noise on may phone. after a while you might notice that your fear of laying awake all night will go down.
      6. Stop monitoring the sound, do not listen to it, ignore it! I know this is impossible to do (it like drinking a cup of tea inside a lion's cage and force your self to stay put on the chair, your fear response will force you to get up and run). The same is true for tinnitus, your fear mechanism is forcing you to monitor and listen. This reflex is not easily "unlearned"! It will take time, but you will get there!
      7. Instead of six (this helped for me) just relax and listen to "it" in a quite room. After a while your brain understand this beep is not somethings that needs to be feared. Gradually your brain just starts to lose interest (it will see the lion for what it really is....just a domesticated house cat that does not need to be feared).

The bad news for you...? Tinnitus is going to suck ass for the next couple of months.