Random Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Logan, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      So I've had tinnitus for almost three years now and it's gotten better and to the point where I usually don't notice it often. But I just got a spike like a week ago and it hasn't gone down at all, I haven't been around any loud noises (I'm always super careful about that) so I'm not sure what could've caused the spike. I've been thinking that I may have an ear infection so I'm gonna be getting some medicine that helped the last time I had one. The spike isn't super loud or anything but it's a good bit louder than it was before and a lot more noticeable. Have any of you gotten random spikes out of nowhere like this? Did they go down eventually and after how long? This spike has been stressing me out and making my anxiety worse so I'm sure that isn't helping either.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Logan Something usually causes a spike in tinnitus. You may have hypercuais (sensitivity to sound ) and may not realize it. Do you listen to music through headphones?
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      No, I haven't used headphones since my tinnitus started. Also I think I might have a mild case of hyperacusis, sometimes my ears are really sensitive and sometimes their normal. But I always try to avoid loud sounds and I know I haven't been exposed to any loud sounds the past week so I doubt my spike could be from noise exposure.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you have any sensitivity to your ears (hyperacusis) no matter how slight, tinnitus can spike. The best way to treat hyperacusis is by using sound enrichment. I'm guessing that you sleep in a quiet room? If so, that's not a good idea in my opinion. Some people don't like using sound enrichment at night and that's their choice. However, if you do have hyperacusis I'd recommend using a sound machine which isn't expensive by the bedside. Some people listen to low level music but it's not considered the best sound therapy, because music draws attention to itself. If you want to know more about sound enrichment and hyperacusis, please click on the links below.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/sound-machines-and-tinnitus.12072/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/answers-to-hyperacusis-and-habituation.12058/

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. MichaelO
      Angelic

MichaelO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Mine does vary over time, from an annoyance to unbearable. I used to play piano but the tinnitus was 'competing' with the music making it difficult to concentrate. The more I played, the louder it got. At this time it has dropped to being an annoyance again rather than disabling. Coincidentally, I have a cold and started taking a generic brand of ZincAid to reduce symptoms. It hasn't made my cold any better but it has noticeably reduced the volume of the tinnitus. I have read that zinc may be useful for this and I hope the effect lasts, though even a day with this low volume is very positive relief.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      So I think I'm starting to get sick, I'm a bit congested so I think that could be part of the reason for my spike. I got some medicine to help with my cold and I'm hoping that'll help. Also I was wondering, what's the longest you've had a spike last when getting sick?

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Logan,
      Try not to worry about the length of the spike.
      Im sure as your cold goes your ears will start to settle.
      Keep sounds on low around you to distract your tinnitus and some nice treats to keep you going.
      A mucous Linctus might help clear your tubes.
      Lots of love glynis

8. Fairy
      Cool

Fairy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      After the cold and flu, my ears did not settle. It is 58 day today. Still waiting. It seems like the ear drops flare up my tinnitus. I got tinnitus with the cold. Wish you well with your cold.

I don't like sound anymore.