Real Name, Nickname, or Something Unique?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by calin, Mar 15, 2013.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I often wonder why we use unique and different names on forums. Some use nicknames, different names other than their ID names, and very trustingly, their real names! Some use names that clearly identify their hobbies, joys, interests, mood, philosophy, etc

Care to share why you chose your name here?

For example our wonderful staff member is Dezdog! And then there is carlover! I think we can all figure out "Ear Noise" and "Ringingears" here. A cute one is from Las Vegas - uses "Hulagirl." Is "Hope" a real name or feeling? And what about "click"? Care to elaborate "just1morething?" Oh, and what about "the_b_man" - sounds intriguing! Is "radar" always alert and scanning? "Guitarplayer" ... got that figured out! haha "zen" feels calming. Then there is Shockwave, Shoestring, sinuses, stantheman, Polar-Bear...etc.

It's kind of fun browsing through the member list!

2. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Because I have bared my soul to a level I'd be uncomfortable with sharing to the outside world.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Thanks for being the first and sharing .... er... baring your soul again. ;)

But, seriously... how did you come up with DezDog? Is that a nickname?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I chose calin on forums as it means "affectionate, cuddly, hug or hugs" in French. :)

5. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Ok, Calin, fess-up, you've spilled the beans. What is your real first name? And why did you choose clouds for a an avatar?

My name is actually, Karl. Both my grandfather and uncle are also named Karl, so I went by my middle name, Jeff, when I was a kid. (This has always caused great confusion for with my wife. When she is forced to use my name, she doesn't know what to call me)

My avatar began as Gene Wilder in "Young Frankenstein". Then I went to the real me, but 10 years younger, when I was 51. But someone on this site said that she couldn't belief that I'm in my sixties. So I have temporarily switched to an avatar of engineering great Karl Terzaghi, who is a hero of mine.

I suppose I can also use Karl Marx as an avatar, but he doesn't necessarily interest me. Another possible avatar that I've thought of is Captain Pike on Star Trek, TOS. (Sort of suggesting damage in the ear/head - perhaps a little too strong in imagery.)

If I had to do it over again, I would called myself "Science Officer", with a picture of Spock. Hindsight is 20/20. Trouble is, William Shatner would get pissed off about using the image of Spock and copyright infringement. Best to stick to my own image, or a photo or a cartoon that I've drawn myself.

And what type of computer do you use?

6. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Karl, Spock would be a "logical" choice to make as your avatar, or maybe Captain Kirk himself if Shatner would get pissed off. I think William Shatner would be honored to be your avatar. Has he ever been on Tinnitus Talk ? Probably not, but may read this as he has T. It would be hard to decide which to use, his Star Trek pic or his ATA one.
      I may have given someone a idea. It might be better than Columbo.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      The cloud avatar just popped up when I registered here. It was the only avatar I had picked many years ago for other blogs/forums. The avatar must be connected to my IP address. Not sure.

I may select something else... just haven't had the urge.

I don't publish my name anymore as I have had a bad experience with someone misinterpreting a newspaper article. I do have some very good articles with me in them for my community work, but I prefer to try and keep my personal life quiet and uneventful nowadays. People can get wacky on blogs and forums.

8. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I get wacky at times. Calin, how about Spock or Kirk ,or even Uhura or nurse Chapel ? Nurse Chapel was very caring , like you are. Lt. Columbo thinks nurse Chapel is a good choice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Sort of wish I'd not used my real name on here for same reasons. Im so Naive.

Sod it though, I do believe in being 'real'. I sort of believe in nudism for that same reason! A great leveller!!!!

10. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Here goes, My real name is Peter....when I was in high school we have a curriculum called Citizens Military Training so my commandant called me "Aloy" it's a dialect for slow, so he called me Pet-loy...it stuck after that...it became my official nickname. My avatar is a picture of Boracay! One of the finest white sand beaches in the Philippines!

11. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Looks gorgeous Pete. I say we all meet up there one day when we are all feeling better :)

12. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Just1morething:
      I would use Shatner's Star Trek pic.

William Shatner's biography, "Up 'Til Now" is one of the funnies books I have ever read. He's also a true inspiration for tinnitus sufferers. When I first got tinnitus, I remembered how he said to hang in there, because it gets better.

A few years ago, I was reading about Star Trek TOS and the cast. Gene Roddenberry took credit for everything - even stuff that he didn't write. He was what I call "A self contained man", using others as implements to achieve his vision, taking credit for everything. There were a lot of bad feelings between the cast. They are very territorial about trademarks and copyright infringement.

Somebody associated with Shatner, Inc., removed a YouTube video from Tinnitus Talk, showing Shatner and David Letterman talking about tinnitus. Weird. Do they expect people to pay money to view a YouTube?

I've gone by other aliases on other websites. I wasn't feeling creative when I found this one. Sometimes these aliases and passwords are hard to keep track of.

Calin:
      Now you have us all curious. Your real name could be Madonna, Cher, Celine, Hillary, Uhura, Adele, Angelina, ....

13. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It wasn't posted to YouTube by Tinnitus Talk though. One of the members posted about Shatner's appearance on Letterman on Tinnitus Talk and embedded the YouTube video that some unknown 3rd party had uploaded in the first place. And when it was removed from YouTube, the embedded video naturally stopped working too.

I have no clue why Shatner, Inc. didn't want to have it available on YouTube. Weird stuff indeed.

:cautious:

14. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you like this avatar calin ? Its Nurse Chapel from Star Trek.

• Like Like x 2
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Sure... My hair is longer though and I have a couple of wrinkles! haha

16. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Name is Zach and I'm the guy on the right. Forget the avatar.
      What's cool about this picture? When it was taken I was 22. I'd had Tinnitus for 5 years then. Not a hint of pain or worry in my face.

17. Ankie

Ankie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/28/2012
      "Ankie" is what my little sisters used to call me. They were not able to say my real name.