Recommendations After Loud Noise at a Restaurant? Should I Keep Taking Prednisone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amv, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hi all! I hope this message finds you well.

I had given my ears quite a big shake this week after many months of a very calm life. I have travelled for 15 hours to give some presentations (very enjoyable!) and also get to know people from other countries during my presentations.

This also meant that one night I was taken out for dinner in a very noisy place, with plenty of music, I stayed for 2 hours there and my dB meter on my phone said it was around 87 dB on average. I also took Lorazepam for two days for the stress and a beta blocker to give a better and calm presentations, then back to travel 15 hours.

I have taken magnesium, NAC 1,200mg, Vitamin C 1 gr day and since the day of the loud restaurant 20 mg prednisone daily.

My question is, should I take more prednisone for a few days? The problem is I can't tolerate much more of it as I feel bad with it.

Yesterday I had loud tinnitus , but all these meds increase my tinnitus temporarily so I feel confident they will have protected me. Besides, the business trip has been really fun and I was getting very habituated, so if my tinnitus has increased a little I am happy overall to have enjoyed the week, getting to know new people and I feel satisfied with the outcome of everything (probably this means I am fully habituated to my tinnitus).

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Did you start taking prednisone before you noticed a spike?

How did you get prednisone?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Don't know if it is a good idea...

I had some very loud places where I went but I tried to protect my ears during the event... And after my Tinnitus spiked but went back to normal, I guess... Sometimes I am not even sure if it increased or not...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hi! Yes, inmediately when i was at the place after 1 hour i took prednisone i always carry over. I have been taking 20mg daily since 2 days ago, i cannot tolerate much more than that. Prednisone always give me a spike but always settles back, i dont know if continue some more days or leave it off, any doctor has been able to visit me today :( so until monday who knows

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Don't abuse predisone, there is risk involved.

How are you even getting it without a prescription?

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I had it from a past treatment i didnt finish , the truth dont know what to do and any doctor can visit me until monday, maybe I should go to ER and ask them

8. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You really should not be taking prednisone without doctor supervision. Why did you start taking it? Did you have an audio threshold shift? You said your tinnitus didn’t spike until after you started taking it, so why did you take it in the first place?

I am very confused and I am sure a doctor wouldn’t recommend taking medication like this. This medication can have serious side effects so please consult a doctor. Tell them the exact situation of what happened and don’t lie. They will decide whether you need to or should be taking it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How about she lets a doctor decide whether she should be taking unprescribed medication that causes her tinnitus to spike....

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I was prescribed 10 MG of prednisone twice a day for 5 days after my noise exposure if that helps.

• Like Like x 1
    12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There's little to no data showing that Prednisone does anything useful in these situations; there's lots of data showing that it is a dangerous drug to use routinely.

I personally wouldn't touch it outside of sudden severe hearing loss, because that's the only hearing condition that I think the current data supports at all. This is very different than routine noise exposure.

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hello People,

OSHA allows 8 hours of exposure to 90 dBA but only 2 hours of exposure to 100 dBA sound levels

Based on that statement, would it mean that exposure to 90 dB for 2 hours without hearing protection means that we shouldn't suffer hearing damage if we take antioxidants after the noise exposure?

@Ed209 I now understand better what you say to not pop up Prednisone that easily, maybe we should take in consideration the noise levels - time of exposure?

I think a protocol is needed and we must demand ENTs to study this, what dosage and duration Prednisone is needed for (I understand when you are exposed to sounds above 100 dB, guns, airplanes passing nearby, blasts that you always need Prednisone).

14. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      90 dB exposure for 2 hours isn't a cause for concern. Your hearing won't damage from that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I strongly disagree. Those levels are for people with healthy ears. People whose ears are compromised would not be able tolerate the OSHA "safe" thresholds without further damage to their already physically weakened hearing structures. Use some logic here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Flamingo thanks, but if they recommend 8 hours, would 2 hours be ok? I understand above 5 hours is damaging, but that 2 hours could not cause damage.

As an example it could be a 14 hour flight which many of us have done without any damage.

I think this should be studied. A study should help set a rule when to pop up Prednisone, as Ed was saying maybe being exposed to 90 dB for 2 hours is not reason enough to start taking Prednisone and that taking antioxidants should be plenty enough.

ENTs should study this. Of course protection is always the way to go.

17. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Dear @Amv, if you are anywhere near 90 Decibel's with tinnitus, RUN!!!!!

18. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      I have 80mg daily dose for 7 days. 40mg dose for 2 days and 20mg for 2 days.

19. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yeah, I'm pretty sure what I took did absolutely nothing. Did an ENT make your prescription?

20. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      Yes, according to my body weight. I weigh about 95 kilos. I think you did not have strong enough dose. It's almost 1mg per kilogram. I feel like its doing something. At least the most piercing high-pitch has gone somewhere in the background, now my T is more like white noise. But very reactive.

• Like Like x 2