Recurring Tinnitus Relapses — Previously from Stress, Now Not So Sure About the Latest One

Discussion in 'Support' started by makethemgold, Oct 22, 2020.

1. makethemgold

makethemgold Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Hi -- I am having another relapse and could use support. I have posted here in the past, but have been away for years at times.

I first got tinnitus in 2011, and habituated (or disappeared?) after about 6 months. The same thing happened in 2017, and again in 2019, each time taking about six months for me to realize it's no longer there. About a month ago, it happened again. I'm now back with a chirping/zapping 14 kHz shrill mostly on the left side just like in the past, audible above everything. I expect it to fade out of consciousness again in another few months.

I believed the last two times were stress-related, and sleeping pills helped. I'm not really under any sort of stress this time, so unsure.

Has anyone else on here has recurring relapses? If it's like in the past, I imagine it will get to a place where I don't notice it again, or it's just disappeared again.

Really struggling. Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @makethemgold I've had many relapses. Like you, my tinnitus never goes away. Somehow I habituate 12-18 months after the onset of a relapse. Yes it is hell! I managed to live like this for 30 years. I can't predict a spike, it just happens. Praying for a better treatment or cure. G-d bless. Hang in. You know the drill.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Farkon
      Frustrated

Farkon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ??/19xx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics/possibly Jaw.
      Yes, I've relapsed recently due to my job overworking me for 5 days straight and I had stress fracture on my foot, it was so bad that I had a fever from this injury and my tinnitus returned.

What really helps is to make sure that my ears are cleaned with debrox and get the earwax that's on my eardrum since it blocks in my tinnitus making it far worse.

Also check to see if your tinnitus is somatic, that might give a major clue in unrelapsing in the future.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It reads on your Avatar: cause of tinnitus unsure. In order to help yourself and to stop these relapses happening, it is important to know what originally caused the onset of tinnitus? Many things can cause it but the most common is exposure to loud noise. Typically, it is listening to loud music through headphones, speakers or going to places where loud music is played. Using a headset or working in a noisy environment. If you use headphones, earbuds even at low volume or engage in the other activities I've mentioned any of these can cause your relapses.

If exposure to loud noise or sounds are not the cause, then an underlying medical condition within your auditory system could be responsible. Hearing loss, Stress, TMJ or medication. Something usually causes tinnitus to increase in the way you've described. It would be good idea to be seen at ENT for tests to see if there is something medically that's causing this.

If you are a user of headphones/earbuds. Use a headset for computer games, listening to loud music through speakers in the car or work in a noisy environment. Play music in a band, then it's quite possible exposure to sound or certain sounds are causing the relapse. Therefore, you need to stop whatever it is your doing and hopefully things will improve. If the cause isn't sound related then I advise to make an appointment at ENT.

All the best
      Michael

PS: In your first post to this forum you mentioned, your tinnitus is spiking and said you have hyperacusis. These symptoms especially hyperacusis are a strong indication your tinnitus is Noise induced.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      makethemgold

makethemgold Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Thanks Michael.

I am unsure of the cause. I have been to multiple ENTs that have run hearing tests which have indicated my hearing is fine, with no dips. I did have two bouts of hyperacusis; first when I got it in 2011, and again when I posted in 2015. Both went away with time. The therapists I have seen are convinced the relapses have followed periods of high stress and little to no sleep. While I'm not stress nowadays, my sleep has been a mess and I've recently started sleeping pills to get that in order.

Regardless, my pattern seems to be random relapses that come on, last for about six months, and then fade away again, out of consciousness. I would like some sort of management strategy to handle the relapses knowing they do eventually fade, or I rehabituate.

Also to add -- I do not listen to loud music; have not for years. I always have earplugs on me, and pop them out if ever at a bar or in a large crowd. Concerts are also very rare these days, and when I do go, I use earplugs.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hl @makethemgold
      And you never use headphones or earbuds? If this the case then the Tinnitus could be stress related. Your Audiologist will hopefully be able to help...

Best of luck...
      Michael

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      makethemgold

makethemgold Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Michael, I'm a little unsure and admittedly uneasy why you're challenging me on the point about noise. I just came back here as I'm struggling and looking for advice on how to manage a relapse given a pattern of relapses that are not following noise-related events, hoping to find other people that have experienced something similar and could show support / coping strategies.

Anyway, I'll do my part and aim to stay off this board if it's troublesome.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My intention is not to challenge you @makethemgold but to try and help you since you've come here for advice. If all you want is for people to say how sorry they are to hear of your circumstances then I don't that's going to help you much. If you want to stop these relapses from happening then I think the best way is to try and find out the cause? Something always causes tinnitus to increase when someone had it for quite a while as in your case. I have had tinnitus a long time and corresponded with many people with the condition. I don't know everything about it and still learning. However, I have a feeling you know more about what has caused the resurgence in your tinnitus than you're willing to divulge and that's entirely your choice.

Gooday and I wish you well.
      Michael