Reflections on Tinnitus Research 2018

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Steve, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Attached here is a video we did recently, with me and David Stockdale of BTA, discussing tinnitus research across 2018.

We were (belatedly) picking up on the TRI conference and on different things happening in research this year that grabbed our interest.

This was unscripted so it's just a general chat and not intended to cover every single point of every single treatment. It's the things that stood out for us particularly this year, and is personal opinion rather than any kind of representative policy.

:)

• Winner Winner x 20
      • Like Like x 17
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Now I know what I'll be watching tonight :) Thank you all.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have watched it last night :)
      Neuromod also shared the video online.

• Like Like x 8
    4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It’s insightful, engaging, and honest. Thanks for the enormous effort that goes into making videos like these, and for attending the conferences. It comes across really naturally and nothing is forced, clunky, or rehearsed. It gives relevant information on the emerging ideas within the tinnitus field.

So, thank you @Steve and @David. Also, @Markku deserves a lot of credit for the countless hours he has put into editing this, as well as the other videos, Q&As, etc. @Hazel has also put an enormous amount of energy into all this too; it’s all done so selflessly by everyone involved which I find incredible.

I tip my hat to you all. Awesome stuff. :beeranimation:

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      I very much enjoyed this video, especially the last half discussing Pharma. Especially encouraging is David Stockdale's understanding of what it is that Pharma wants to see and I'm led to believe that BTA will take up some role in pushing that as a research agenda- is that correct?

I recently listened to ATA's podcast with Dr. Phillip Gander from University of Iowa. I believe he alluded to Fatima Hussien's work with fMRA and now having heard David mention it again will be looking to learn more about it.

Thanks very much Steve and David for representing the tinnitus community the way you do. Thanks Markku and Hazel for all the behind the scenes work that's made it possible to bring us this top level research summary. I hope it becomes an annual thing.

TC

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Steve

You mentioned Will Sedley in the video- is he still actively researching tinnitus? I know he's a spokesperson for BTA and on their PAC. What else is he doing these days?

Thanks, TC

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Yes he is still actively researching tinnitus.

He doesn't have the greatest of resources to call on so his work isn't progressing as fast as I would like to see. In the field of tinnitus he is one of the researchers that excites me the most. I completely get the prediction model and it feels like it needs a lot more attention.

I know that he has ideas in the works but that he only has so much time to progress them.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. David

David Member Benefactor BTA

Hi All,

as I said in the video happy to get involved in discussions that lead out of it and thank you for the positive coments so far. To reiterate what @Steve has already said. What I say in here is personal opinion and am sure you'd get a different take if Steve had someone different from the BTA sat beside him.

Yes, we're doing that and hopeful of having a paper published early next year furthering this.

I've re-read it, to be honest, still don't fully understand it but it is presenting a new concept and way of using fMRI that may lead to an objective measure - but the one in the paper doesn't appear to be quite there.

Had a catch up with Will on Friday. As Steve says, he's working 2 days a week as a researcher and the rest within the NHS. Tinnitus is his primary research interest and he's looking at securing additional funding to work on ideas coming from his proposed model.

• Like Like x 6
    9. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music to my tinni ears. Both BTA and ATA have roadmaps but no one is driving the bus, until now that is! :)

• Like Like x 2
    10. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2011 - Gaming on headphones. 2020 - Severe by breaking glass
      Thanks for the video and the effort, it's something that is needed to spread information and highlight researchers and their work in easy to understand form by everyone which results in promoting curative research. You never know who is watching it.

It's good that @David explained what BTA tried to achieve by using available funds the way that they were used in the past, and after watching this video we can see that David and the BTA are trying to do something behind the scenes to help curative research. I still don't like donating to CBT and similar things and I'm not happy about that, but donating to basic science is very good thing when you can't donate millions to drug development. It's something that can help pharma and researchers at some point when they will do their research, or maybe even inspire them to do so. Every difference is a difference, and small difference can cause big difference.

Maybe thanks to being open and honest in unscripted talks like this BTA will get more donations, people just want to know what they are donating and how the funds will be used. And by that i mean what is in the head, what is the concept of helping the cause for people that will spend that funds later. They want to trust and it's very hard to achieve.

ATA should also be open like this, sadly I think that XXI century isn't yet there with ATA.

What also makes me happy is that @Steve and the rest of the team really try to make a difference by gathering information from various sources and spreading it to the public making tinnitus research and you know everything looks more Professional. It's good for everyone when you can show content like this to people that are "outside" of the tinnitus world, this video is something that you can show to anyone even your doctor.

I think that it would be nice if Steve and David talks would happen in the future because it's nice to watch :p and it makes BTA look more patient friendly. Maybe after events and expos in the future or when something to discuss will emerge.

Good work!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I agree!! I have not had the time to listen to the entire conversation yet. But @David comes across so real and caring and without what I experienced with the ATA's constant changing of the guard so to speak regarding the EO's position within that organization.

The egotistical mindset with regards to someone like @Steve would never happen.

This would be a great fundraiser to focus on in the near future.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      You guys are two of the most genuine people I have seen.
      Thank you for all that you do.

• Like Like x 1
    13. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Excellent work.

• Like Like x 2
    14. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Thanks for the subtitles! Non-native speakers will benefit a lot from it! :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. infVM
      Alone

infVM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      From what I read online about tinnitus and everything it associated with I understand not that many countries are working on it (unfortunately) and I do hope that at least they could've chipped in in whatever Neuromod and Frequency Therapeutics are working on to speed it up (or help) for I am sure every out of 200 countries would benefit out of it. I wonder what's going in this regard in Japan for example, are they (private or public companies/institutions) working on anything... I hope they do. I understand about some poor countries and what not but what's going about in France or Holland or Sweden... So sad about it because I guess I know the answer.

Now I do know that Josef Rauschecker and his lab (or team) is working on tinnitus for 10 years now but I guess I missed on where exactly his team is at now? Is it the same as Frequency Therapeutics is on, just a different drug or way or method, or similar to Neuromod or what?

And another thing - from the Josef Rauschecker interview the other day I realized that whoever is working on tinnitus and such are not talking to each other (unfortunately).

I think if they would be on the call at least once a month on the major stuff we'd find a cure faster. It's like different groups are trying to find something in the hay but no one informs others or no one is interested to know. Why wouldn't they?

Oh I see, secrets, profits... If not then why wouldn't they?? I guess I just feel sad that this way we won't see anything good for another 15 years if anything. I hope I am so wrong about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      I'm not sure that a meeting once a month between all tinnitus researchers is either useful or practical. First it would be extremely difficult to perform. There are several annual conferences that are organised already and they each take a lot of time, at least a whole day and sometimes several days. This approach would have taken a lot of time from every researcher. Time that would be taken from their work.

It would also be not the best for the outcome. Mostly due to the fact that it could lead to everyone investigating pretty much the same thing. A thing that commonly happens when groups gather and agree to do one thing. But suppose that thing was the wrong one?! It is best if separate teams focus on their hypotheses. The more different approaches the higher probability that one is going to hit the jackpot.

• Like Like x 2
    17. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But they are taking the scenic route through management strategy land.

• Funny Funny x 4
    18. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know. I think I may have been overly optimistic when I wrote that. This business with the comedian has opened my eyes. There was more than one conversation here about not trivializing tinnitus. I feel like BTA didn't listen. They are also still spending money on unnecessary studies - like one on sleep. There is a standard, proven protocol for sleep therapy, any therapist could modify it for a tinnitus patient. Another study is not needed.

What BTA needs is a lot of money and a good, ambitious science liaison who can talk and strategize science to other scientists. Their so-called roadmap is like a map of the Los Angeles highway system - easy to get lost and then choke on the pollution.

Forget ATA, they play their cards close to the chest, we'll never know what they are doing, only that it's the same thing they've been doing year after year. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

All right, I'm getting myself depressed.

Do you have any cheery thoughts? :)

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    19. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      99 percent of BTA and ATA members are >60 years old. A large part of BTA's income comes from old people dying (wills). BTA knows the internet-based tinnitus community doesn't fund their work. It's the old people attending their support groups that fund their work. That's why BTA doesn't give a shit about you and me wanting them to change.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, my two year old was running around this morning pulling out his peninsula and going "pee pee pee pee pee pee" and I was instantly trying to explain to him not to do that especially at preschool. That's certainly something I've never seen him do before and I didn't teach him that.

• Funny Funny x 3
    21. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ATA 's too. ATA is sitting on a million dollars that was left to them a couple of years ago.

I'm an American and so the fact that the online community is international probably doesn't help either. Unless things have changed, BTA doesn't support tinnitus research outside the UK. Hypothetically speaking, if the best tinnitus research was being done in outer Mongolia why should location stop anyone from supporting it?

That being said, I still think BTA do an excellent job engaging the tinnitus community in the UK and are very open about what they are doing, even if we don't agree.

BTW did you see that there have been 1,000 views of Jazzer's story?

Best, TC

• Agree Agree x 2