Relatively Quiet Location in Europe — Seeking Recommendations

Discussion in 'Support' started by Violetdusk, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Violetdusk

Violetdusk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2005 Very loud rock concert. 2018 Worsened considerably.
      Hi,

I live in the UK and have severe tinnitus and moderate-severe hyperacusis. I currently cannot step outside my door without earplugs in, as I'm sensitive to a lot of ordinary sounds. That said, I want to continue to travel once a year like I normally did in the past, somewhere in Europe, somewhere preferably sunny and warm, and here's the tricky part... somewhere relatively quiet. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to go? I don't want to fly more than 4 hours if I can help it. I realise I might still need to wear earplugs outside, but if it's really quiet, like no road noise, no other noises I won't. I'm kind of avoiding city breaks, but sleepy towns and small places, even near the coast might be the best options.

Last year I went to Dubrovnik, and just about managed it... but my tinnitus and hyperacusis has worsened, in part because of a loud boat trip I took whilst I was there that was 87 decibels... I had my earplugs in, but I thought I wouldn't need Ear muffs as well... so left them in the apartment I was staying in. Big mistake, but I won't repeat it. So much for imagining boats are quite quiet... it really caught me off guard. I still had to wear hearing protection in cars, walking near roadsides and in the throngs of many people which I want to avoid this time, especially as it has gotten worse.

I could stay in my own country, but I'm really tired of the weather, and we have had many summers where the sun didn't appear at all, so just need to get out and see somewhere new... it will be a challenge, but I really don't want to stop travelling if I can. I just have to do it differently to most people now...

Thanks for any recommendations...

Martin

• Like Like x 1
    2. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Hi Martin, good for you for still wanting to travel, in spite of your troubles! Travel really can be such a great experience that helps us deal with our struggles.

In terms of location, I don't have specific suggestions, but if you want a warm climate + quiet, I would say any rural location in Southern Europe should do. I'm always partial to the countryside of Southern France, e.g. Provence, Dordogne, etc. because there's plenty of culture (old castles and such, if you like that stuff) without having to get anywhere near a busy town centre. But I suppose Spain, Italy, and Greece all have nice rural locations as well.

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Violetdusk

Violetdusk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2005 Very loud rock concert. 2018 Worsened considerably.
      Hi Hazel,
      Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am thinking France or Spain, been there already but to cities, so it would be nice to look at quieter places. I will look into them. How did you arrive to those places. Did you hire a car and drive (might be the least noisy option) or travel from airport via train etc? Thanks, Martin.

4. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      North of Corfu, you can fly there directly the cricket sounds are great maskers...

Tuscany, try an agriturismo.

Puglia, try an agriturismo or a trullo.

Andalucia in Spain.

The sun is a great healer...

• Like Like x 1
    5. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
    6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
    7. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Actually want to Dubrovnik last year around July and took the boat ride to Lokrum Island (around 20 min). It so difficult to plan ahead for holidays with Tinnitus and Hyperacusis - lots of places still want to go too but like you long flight will just be too much for my delicate ears to take. I went to Belfast over New Year (one hour flight) and My Mild Hyperacusis went a lot worse (ears actually hurt now) which was probably due to the very noisy planes (Flybe). Now its getting to a point where I am struggling a little bit:(

Thinking of going to the Cannes Film Festival this year but again worried about the flight and probably the festival will be noisy to but there again there aren't may quiet places unless secluded.

Do you wear ear muffs and ear plugs on take off and descent ? All the planes I have been on decibel count is around 85-90.

8. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was just in Guatemala for work (plus a few personal days). Unfortunately I could not do everything but I plan to vacation in Central America in the future before it gets too touristy (like Macchu Picchu). There is a lot of nature (jungles, volcano hikes, lakes), history (Spanish colonial towns, ancient ruins), and culture, great options if you are based in the U.S. since it's close if you want to get away from the city and safe through a tour group.

9. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Hey,

You're welcome to come here, I live in France in the Prealps area and it's pretty quiet once you get here :)
      I hike without plugs most of the time, in spite of my severe hyperacusis. I barely use my car since many hiking trails are located near the house. An international airport is 1h30 away, by car.

My village has the same surface as Paris but we only have 1000 inhabitants :rolleyes:

Me, I'd like to visit the UK again, I'm trying to plan something for 2020 or more likely 2021 :D

Anyway, quiet locations can be found everywhere, but they are never 100% quiet and when they are or are supposed to be, that means they are remote locations and so, to get there, the trip is usually long and noisy. You can't really win with hyperacusis, but you can manage, more or less.

So my suggestion is : don't look for quiet locations first. Look for places you really want to visit, and then find a way to plan your trip there according to your needs.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1