Remeron for Sleep/Anxiety/Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by dochoppy, Mar 18, 2014.

1. dochoppy
      No Mood

dochoppy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, drug combo?
      Hello, I am new to the forum, I am glad to have found. I have severe tinnitus. I have tried numerous medications to help deal with it and sleep. They all seemed to make my tinnitus worse. I finally came across remeron 15mg, the first week I was on it, I did really well with the tinnitus. It actually helped, but on day 7-8 of the medication my tinnitus again resurfaced. I tried to increase the dosage to 30mg and the tinnitus got worse, so I went back down to 15mg and it got a little better. I am wondering if I need to cut down on the dosage to the 7.5mg and see if this really is my sweet spot, because it seemed like I was doing really well when I first started the 15mg but once it had enough time to get built up in my system the ringing got worse. Does anyone have any advice on this? Should I go down to the 7.5mg or just stay on 15mg

2. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

dochoppy
      The only thing I've ever heard about remeron is that it is bad for tinnitus; I'd be careful. I use hearing aids with white noise generators -- they are life savers!

Mark

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dochoppy
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Mark, good information!

4. Dubinvero

Dubinvero Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January, 2014
      I had a severe spike in the volume of my Tinnitus after taking a single 15mg Remeron tablet. It took 2 days to return to my baseline. It convinced me that I would not try any more medications to help me sleep. I am doing much better by taking a brisk 45 minute walk every day, a protein snack about 2 hours and a 3mg Melatonin about 1 1/2 hours before bedtime.

After I posted my experience on this forum I received a PM from another forum member whose Tinnitus volume increased significantly after taking Remeron over a 15 day period. This forum member's spike was only improving slowly 4 months later.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dochoppy
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Thanks for the info, I actually took the 7.5mg tablet last night and my T was much better/manageable today. I am taking another 7.5mg tonight and see. I really do need to be on something for sleep/anxiety/depression so I am hopefully that a low dose of this will work out OK and not spike my tinnitus too much. The first week it really did help though. I really do appreciate your comments and this is a great site, so glad I found it.

6. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hmm. Makes me thinking. I take 30 mg Mirtazapin/Remeron every evening.
      This helps me a lot against depression and for sleeping.
      Two weeks ago, I dropped dosage a little bit (to 22.5 mg) and got depressive thoughts. Was not really nice.
      So I am back to 30 mg.

I really don't know if it makes my T louder. My T started loud and intrusive when I was not taking any meds.
      So I don't know if it will decrease by taking less dosage.

Are you sure it is really Remeron which increased the T?

7. Dubinvero

Dubinvero Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January, 2014
      Yes I am certain that Remeron caused my spike. I got a great nights sleep and woke up with the loudest Tinnitus I have ever experienced. It took a full 48 hours to get back to normal.

Like I said in an earlier post, I got a PM from another forum member who was still only slowly recovering 4 months later from a spike which she ascribed to taking Remeron over a 15 day period.

From what I have read on this forum, the reaction to medications varies by individual. There are many forum members who have used Remeron with no negative side effects.

The silver lining for me was I committed to going the non medication route which is working pretty well. My sleep has improved a lot and my anxiety is a lot less frequent. I am probably making progress at habituating. I use hearing aids with white noise masking and an external masking Bluetooth loudspeaker which helps me with sleep.

I think that Tinnitus is so individualistic that we each end up determining what works best for us whether it be medication, masking sounds, exercise and foods to avoid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      @dochoppy
      I just read this thread. My 2 cents:
      Every drug I have taken that "helped" my T, over the course of time eventually made it return after my brain got used to the drug and its effect.
      When I took Elavil, I slept for way too long but my T took a back seat. Like in the second to last row. Eventually I got used to the dose and didn't sleep forever and my T reclaimed its drivers seat.
      I was on pain meds that did wonders for shutting down the T if it was creeping up to hell level, but after time T said no-no and kicked my butt on its return after several days of quiet.
      Is it the drugs or the brain changing chemistry that adapts and gives in to Mr T?
      Since my T cycles, I'm never sure if it's the meds or the T ride, but since no matter what I get quiet days from time to time, it can't be the meds making it worse...or is it?
      I will have to stop all meds (remeron, gabapentin and melatonin) to see.
      But without some calm and sleep my T would throw me out of the bus and run me over, let alone be the driver!
      heck, I was on prednisone for a sudden hearing loss a month ago and I had a spike or bad cycle, but had so much energy I didn't give a shit about the T.
      It was such a thrill to have my energy in spite of T.
      Then it passed and not so much fun.
      Every day is a winding road...

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    9. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Doc I've heard good things about remeron... Was considering it for myself.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dochoppy
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Remeron does help me sleep thats for sure, I am not able to take more than 7.5mg, the 15mg dosage makes my hyperacusis much, much worse. It is does cause some significant fatigue in the beginning.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Remeron turned the sleep thing around totally for me, made me function again. Never had any side effects from it and has been on 15mg since may. Just vivid dreams, like movies played at nighto_O.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Larry OT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I take 15mg Remeron (Miratapine) 400mg gabapenetin, 4mg melatonin time release and Cortisol manager.
      It usually puts me to sleep…

Sooner or later Im going to taper off the gabapentin, then remeron. Its a dream of mine to be off all pharma meds, but gotta see if I can get there without anxiety issues or sleeplessness.

Remeron is good for depression, as I am less so…or is it me and the effort I do to keep healthy and sane. I f'n hate big pharma. My shrink wants me on Abilify too…$350 per month after insurance pays for 1/2. Now thats depressing!
      Not going there…I hope...

• Like Like x 1
    13. periphery
      No Mood

periphery Member

I love Remeron. I get 8 hours almost every night. Do not be afraid to get help from pharmaceuticals.

• Like Like x 2
    14. Larry OT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @periphery

We all do what we need to do.
      It's a complicated thing to decide if I want or need my brain chemistry altered that much and at what expense financially and with side effects.
      The Remeron has helped depression I think, but I don't sleep because of it.
      When and if I stop taking this pills is when I'll know if I need to continue.
      There is no other way to know for sure.
      I do not criticize anyone for doing what works for them. It's just caution and your judgement and understanding of the drug and it's side effects are your call, not the doctors.
      I'm glad it helps you sleep!
      I wish it did same for me.

15. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Have you guys had any side effects from Remeron?

16. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think it can cause or worsen tinnitus...I wouldn't touch it myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Compared to nearly everything else, it's harmless. I was on it for three or four months, only good results.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      That's good...I sure many would say otherwise. Guess it is risk vs reward...personal choice. I can't see the possibility of risking a life time of worsening tinnitus vs. a better sleep for a few months. Again all person choices we have to make.

19. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Remeron did nothing on my T.
      It is loud and high-frequent from the beginning.
      If I would know tapering off will lower the tone, I would do that.
      Difficult decision. Depression is still too high (even with meds) to taper off.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    20. john livingston
      Cool

john livingston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      football contact
      The day is coming that folks will see the only real safe med for any condition with no bad side effects is cannabis. It was one of the first meds and it will ultimately be one that lives on beyond all the stuff they mix up over at big pharm and let you take at your own risk. The pill program for me is a scary and dangerous sounding game. I can deal with T better than I can a pill addiction. But I am open minded if it works for you no matter what drug it is relief is relief!

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yup...I smoke almost daily now for T related depression. Helps a lot. Sometimes I will go a week without touching it and I experience absolutely no withdrawal symptoms. It's the safest bet in my mind. Only side effect for me, makes me a little tired but I'm ok with that these days.

22. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Anyone quit ADs or any other drug and get improvements to their T?

23. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I felt the same way about benzos. One thing I've found is nearly every drug is reported to cause tinnitus is somebody. It gets to be a matter of how high it is on the list of possible side effects. In my research I found Remeron was the best of any anti-depressant/sleep aid for low tinnitus onset, and there was exactly one case history of it helping an older patient with tinnitus.

24. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      This might be informative for those of you who are considering taking Remeron: http://www.druginformer.com/search/side_effect_details/mirtazapine/tinnitus.html. These are official FDA reports on patients who have Remeron/Mirtazapine induced tinnitus.

You might have read this on the forum already, but my tinnitus was caused by Remeron. It started on day 2 of being on those pills and continued to gradually increase until I realised it was the Remeron, and then stopped. This happened over a year ago and although things have improved slightly, I still have severe tinnitus.

Here's another link that I posted on the forum earlier: https://www.ted.com/talks/ben_golda...ted.com-facebook-share&awesm=on.ted.com_t08A9. This Ted Talk explains that when a new drug gets tested, many of negative or inconclusive findings go unreported. Ben Goldacre explains why these unreported instances of negative data are misleading and dangerous.

So please don't base your decision on one report of one person who was allegedly ''cured'' of his tinnitus while he was on Remeron or rumours that Remeron is a ''safe'' drug! All anti-depressants mess with your brain chemistry, and unfortunately that's never a good thing.

Maria

• Like Like x 1
    25. Larry OT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @MariaH

I had tinnitus kick in loud 7 months ago. A combination of hearing loss, abused earfulls of music and probably some drugs not anti- depressants.

I have been on Remeron for 2 months. My tinnitus is no better or worse, but I am managing better.

It has helped with my severe depression and anxiety and it helps a little with sleep.

I don't like having to take it, but for now it seems to have helped me from losing everything. I hope not to be on it one day but for now, my tinnitus has no negative change.

There are soooooo many drugs that are "associated" with tinnitus it's crazy.
      But I am sorry for your experience of tinnitus. For some people some help from drugs are a way to exist. Only by trying will we know as you now know.

You had no hearing loss or other meds that may have contributed to your T?
      Not a single other med did you take?

My brain chemistry needed to be "messed" with or I may not have made it. My brain was altered severely by tinnitus and out of desperation I took some calculated risks with anti depressants.
      It had helped. But that's me and many others here.

I'm glad your tinnitus is not so life altering that you don't need any drugs at all to cope. Your a stronger person than me. Some of us have been more dramatically affected and I believe Remeron helped lift me out of a very dark place.

I may not be here posting this otherwise. It was that close.

Your depression is all gone even with T? You took Remeron for depression...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah I hear you on this one Larry. I hate meds but I'm scared to death to make my ears worse. Such a shit position we are in to be faced with this type of Dilemma.

• Agree Agree x 3
    27. Larry OT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Telis
      Well, if your managing without severe depression and anxiety your in a better place than me. I hate the idea of needing meds but without a change that I was unable to manage, I took the chance with anti depressant.
      I hope to taper down and see how I do, but thats for next year… I hope.

@SoulStation
      The only side effect I had from Remeron was increase in appetite which I needed as I lost 20 pounds since T and even though I am eating more, I burn it off from anxiety it seems.

28. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I am starting Remeron tonight for sleep @ 15mg. Wish me luck.

Today was a golden day for T. Light T compared to the head sizzling / screaming PITof t. Thanking god for just being able to live again. Those uber quiet days when you can see your former self .... before t. You weep with joy and sadness all mixed.

I can totally relate to you @Larry OT . I've been taking 50mg Quetipine and 1mg azalopram every night in the hope of sleep. Pus Valerian just to chill me in the early evening. Fully loaded. Last night it worked. So today was a gift.

However, the fear of benzo addiction is real. And i know i can't keep up that med taking ritual.

Remeron seems like a safer bet in terms of non-addictive. I too hope to just get sleep. Yes, i'm depressed too from t, the worst s____ kind. I'm hoping Rem will help with that that too. T has messed me up so bad. From what i've read, Rem has risks. But at this point i have to take a chance. My gut tells me that lower / slower mind = less neuro firing = less t. My gut tells me "get rest = less t".

I am praying that calculated risk will be the right one. I've read about the tolerance to Rem already. I've read the stories of Rem actually giving ppl t. My t was from a loud club so i know its hair cell damage / hf hearing loss related. I'm hoping Rem will just knock me out. Give me a gap of a few months to get on my feet, stabilise and then self-help / cbt / meditation / exercise / whatever works to get me less s____ . Get working again. Restore some self - belief. I'm hoping Rem can be a crutch for me to get back to the path.

Otherwise, out of ideas. Don;t wanna become a benzo head. Already got an addictive personality. One of my reasons for wanting to get off benzos. Last thing i need is getting addicted to them. Here goes Rem.

• Creative Creative x 1
    29. Larry OT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @SteveToHeal
      Remeron has different sedating effects on different people so I suggest taking 7.5 mg to start. It does not change my T in any way. It does seem to help with anxiety and depression somewhat. It's not addicting but if you use it daily you need to take it or taper off. Welcome to anti depressant land.

I still struggle with sleep sometimes like when I know the next day will be hell in my cycle of T, but I'm not anxious so there that.

Careful if your tapering off those other meds! Go slow with the benzo.
      The quetiapine can make you restless, again the opposite is possible. Did you start that before T hit?

Don't wait to do the other things for helping, CBT, exercise and any therapy that helps. The drugs are a band aid. We all have to do the heavy lifting to deal with this.

Sleep is part of the equation but T is tricky. A good night sleep won't always give you a quiet day, at least not for me. Maybe you'll have better luck with that. I hope so.

Good luck. Keep us informed.

30. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Maybe I also will ask the psychiatrist for remeron, I have to wait one month for that.
      My GP doesn't prescribe AD's.

The possible side effect of gaining weight is positive since I lost a lot of weight.