Response Changing Group

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Dec 27, 2014.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Ok ladies and gents!
      Let's do @I who love music challenge!
      Me and @DebInAustralia have decided to give this technique a go!
      Let's do it for a week and compare our results Sunday next week!
      Baby steps, one week is reasonable to start with then we discuss our achievements and hopefully continue!
      Who's in?

2. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I'm so in! I've been doing it for a few days now and with the exception of today, I felt a little bit better. For some reason today I'm really struggling and my T seems extra loud - and yes, I know that's not allowed ;)

I'd love members to share their mantras/what they say when they notice their T - might help me shake things up and say something more than "I hear my T and I'm scared"

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Girls vs the boys!

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Alright!!!
      I can't wait to see your results.
      Remember, to judge your results, measure the amount of times you respond to your T and the kind of feelings you have towards it. Don't measure the T volume. That's asking for trouble.
      Ready, set, go.

5. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I'm in 100%
      So far this has helped me alot!
      @Amelia -thinking positive thoughts/prayers for your kids...

6. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
    7. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I think I'm going to keep track of this via my iphone - so I can record the amount of times I respond

8. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      @Amelia it's usually along the lines of "I hear my T and...."

... It's pissing me off.
      ... It's making me annoyed.
      ... It's making me anxious.

Also, sometimes I'll add on to the end... "I'll be happy when I can't hear it anymore."

9. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      You sound exactly like me and what I find myself saying :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      :) it doesn't scare me anymore... Won't give it that power... It does make me angry and if my T ever manifests itself into a physical body, I will beat the sh*t out of him ;).

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      In my opinion one week not enough to see the change .It should be atleast 3 months .
      To switch the mind from one point of object to second object ..we need to develop very high concentration .to get very high focus only way is practice some type of meditative practice .there is a book call Rapt ..you guys can read it ..I read it while back .It gives some insight in to how out brain focus works .

12. SickoMicko
      Arsewit

SickoMicko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection or the medication to cure it.
      Good Morning fellow "condition" afflicted humanoids (not too specific, and just vague enough). This concept keeps expanding, ie. "Back to Silence" started by IWLM. I think it has potential, but I tend to agree with Sean, it is not going to be a quick fix. IWLM opened up the door, and there is a lot of good information on that thread concerning approaches to the technique. Man, I hope this produces good results for all who try it, and of course that would include me, but I do think patience and reasonable expectations (time wise) are necessary to achieve success. Good results to all. Mick

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Good luck folks. I had surprising results in a short time. The word is 'surprised.' I thought it would take longer. I wish you guys could talk to people who know me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      How to do this when all I can think of is tinnitus?
      Hissing gone through the roof, same with anxiety, having a bad bad day

• Hug Hug x 3
    15. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      It's OK that all you can think of is tinnitus. I'm saying that because I used to get up in the morning and hear my T and get anxious then eat and hear it when I was chewing then go to town to get my buddy Fred and not turn the radio on in my car because I thought I'd hurt my ears so I'd listen to my T all the way to his house. Then I'd hear my T while I was at his house..... it just went on and on and on. I didn't question why the technique worked, I just did it. Man, when you're down as far as I was you hope for something and try anything. Luckily it works for me.

16. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      So I am interested but a little lost. What exactly are we supposed to do? And what is the technique? Was it mentioned in a previous post? Thanks.

17. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Maybe some types of T are impossible to ignore because its just too loud and you keep hearing it every second for eternyT....

18. Jake
      Irritated

Jake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      This really works. I made great improvements on my own over the last couple of months but I can tell that this method definitely has some long-term potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Jake any tips from your experience?
      Thanks!

20. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I wasn't going to pop back into this thread just yet but I totally caved ;)

@valeri - you aren't the only one who thinks about their T almost 100% of the time - even when I'm in a loud environment and don't hear it, I still think about it. I've been doing this seriously for 4 days now and honestly - I find myself thinking and saying a lot to my T, but I'm making sure it's not what I usually say - I used to check in with the volume ALL the time, and I'd be saying things like "it's louder! What am I going to do? I can't handle this", but now I'm doing my best to either ignore it, or speak more about how I'm feeling - not about what the T is doing volume/sound wise.

Keep at it xxx

• Like Like x 2
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Amelia

I'm finding this obsession hard to deal with.
      Is your thinking about it generally all the time or only the last 4 days?
      What are you saying?

22. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      No, like ALL the time. And the word "obsession" is pretty much on the mark for me. I'm obsessed with it, thinking about it, listening for it and bringing everything back somehow to the T.

I guess I'm saying that being that way is hard. And I don't want to be like that, so I'm trying :)

23. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I caught the bug and have made a lot of noise snoring and coughing. One day in particular I noticed my responses went way up - to about 20 in one day. I caught myself getting a little panicky once. But I told myself my responses would be way down the next day and they were. This techique is amazing. Here's another plus - since I quit responding to the volume so much I have quit talking to others about it, and in turn, they have quit asking me about my T. It's really snowballing. Hang in there and keep at it. Remember, I had T since '74.

24. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      My response to T is when I wake ,stays longer if sinuses are having bad day as this reacts to my balance ,it's evening time I ignore it mostly .Strange how we all react ,found this thread interesting .
      Wishing we all woke up this day happier and T Free .
      Hard one to ignore today sinuses painful ,and left ear T is high ,high .Weather in UK damp and wet .think this plays it's part in it to .
      I'm about to get a full allergy test done ,see what's the root cause of this rhinitis ,has this got anything in relation to my balance ,Kill 2 birds with one stone maybe .wait for Drs ,will be waiting till Doomsday .
      Best wishes this year go to all on TT .

25. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:

Same for me, I say my mantra you are harmless,over and over and over. Too much attention?

• Like Like x 1
    26. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes there is a thread that started with I Who Love Music, not sure how to link it to you.

27. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Winner Winner x 1
    28. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks for your help.

29. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      Today I'm having a good day. I feel ok. A few anxiety stumbles but moved past them.
      My T is low, easy to ignore for the most part. I notice it as low and it's nice. I can live with it. Sitting in quiet room.
      When it gets real bad because it fluctuates from sometimes zero noise to 10/10, my reaction is simply trying to focus on other sounds like conversation. My reaction is a physical anguish and thoughts go to dark places like "it's making me crazy, or how can I deal with this". How I feel is stressed and obsessed.
      my volume of t is constantly changing from day to day. Does this make you feel better to acknowledge your pain?
      I don't think about my T on quiet days much. I have other issues that loom bigger like depression.
      How do I feel on bad days? Like hell and then I think that.
      I'm glad it works for others though. That's good.

Learning to simply accept it and move on to fun stuff like major depression ; )
      Hey it's a pretty good day for me for a change.

30. SickoMicko
      Arsewit

SickoMicko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection or the medication to cure it.
      Valerie, Dan, Leah, Marlene, I'm no Silvine (Happy New Year Silvine), but I would suggest you all stop fixating on your condition (no matter how severe it may be), take a few deep breaths, and try to calm down just a bit for now. I really do believe in this technique, but I'm not going to put pressure on myself with expectations of quick results (IWLM is blessed that he got such quick relief, keep in mind he's suffered with it for over 35 yrs.), we on the other hand receive some of his blessing by being given this approach through him. I agree with Sean, it's probably going to be slower process for most of the rest of us. I will tell you all that I have seen some slight improvements since beginning the affirmations. I too would love quick results, but I'm not going to sabotage my potential results with unrealistic expectations. We've all started in the same place, gone through the same emotions, and want the same thing (adios f***ing T). We'll it obviously can happen (witness IWLM), it just takes time (even though we'd all love a quick miracle). Do you affirmations (I think positivity works the best), distract yourself from your noises (reading helps me), and stay calm (that is the biggest and hardest to do), and in time you WILL start seeing results. That's it for me, I pray every night for something to come along that will help us all, but until then I believe this can and will help. Happy New Year to All! Mick