Restless Legs Syndrome

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Lisa Robinson, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Anyone suffer with this? Not sure I have it but past two months my legs keep

Crawling
      Walking
      Moving
      Ache
      Tingling

I lay down and my Legs feel like they are running :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Yes, I have it fairly often. I've tried walking, etc., but nothing worked --- until I tried baking soda and water. (I read about it on Earth Clinic). What I do is put 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in a large glass of water (the water may be warm or cold), and drink the entire glass. It works slowly, but about an hour or so later, I notice that my restless legs have settled down. You could try it, to see if it works for you!

• Like Like x 2
    3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes..i had severe restless legs following a bout of vomiting. My naturopath gave me magnesium and it abated after a few days.

• Like Like x 1
    4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Actually..when first experienced this my gp gave me referral to a shrink! I didnt go as i knew it wasnt an anxiety based symptom. I remember going 4 a run thinking it would go with exercise. Only thing that helped was replacing electrolytes...namingly mag

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      There are different causes for RLS. One of which is iron deficiency. I can tell you that taking an iron pill (18mg) daily completely cured my RLS years ago.

I had read an article written by a physician that stated that some of his patients with RLS had responded very well with iron supplementation. However, keep in mind, that taking too much iron is not a good thing.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The other suggestions make a lot of sense to me. @DebInAustralia, I like your suggestion to take magnesium. I take it, too, and I believe it has helped with many things. @jimH, your suggestion about iron deficiency anemia is a good one. That does make sense, as many of us (especially women) suffer with iron deficiency during our lives, and that could make a great difference to some people.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      My husband has this problem ,drives me nuts let alone him ,I can see his leg moving out of the corner of my glasses,sooner or later he has to get up and walk around ,I take magnesium ,so as from tomorrow he's got another added to his 4 tabs ,3 Vits and a statin ,wait till he sees another heading for him .Hes not happy if he gets it shortly before his going to bed .Ive heard it's when your blood changes ,whatever that means?

• Like Like x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope the magnesium will work for your husband, Marlene. Restless legs is a really uncomfortable feeling! Let us know if it works for him.

I don't know about the blood changing, but my restless leg episodes usually happen in the evening, after eating (particularly a larger meal). Maybe it has something to do with the blood going to the stomach to digest the food (?)

9. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Will give it to him ,he knows I'm only trying to help ,his is in the evenings only ,he's normally sitting doing his cross stitching ,and watching TV ,it begins slow ,then gradually increases.All I hear is Oh not again .
      He's eaten good 3 hours prior to its start,have told him to mention it to his GP .Probably tell him just one of those things as GP do .

10. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      My iron levels became depleted because I've been a regular blood donor since the mid 90's. However, it's only been in the last few years that the Red Cross finally informed regular donors to take iron supplements. Not because of the RLS but to avoid becoming anemic.

@Marlene....Sorry to learn that your husband has to deal with this. Has he had a blood test in the last couple years to see if he might be a bit anemic? If he is, an iron supplement might help him as it has me.

• Like Like x 1
    11. tyty
      Wishful

tyty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yes I had it recently and a friend told me to try an over the counter product called SloMag (found it at Walgreens) and it stopped it immediately! I keep it by my nightstand and it has worked miraculously. I also had hand cramps and finger cramps and it stopped that too.

• Like Like x 1
    12. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Statin is not good thing to take long term.
      i strongly suggest to cut down to lowest possible dose and regular in take of fish oil + excerise + 90% strict diet.
      Statin is tied with peripheral neuropathy.
      @jimH
      Natural source of iron spinach and dates. Where i come from elderly always insist these two for young girls and women esp those with issues with menstrues cycle . Few dates a day is not gonna hurt anyone and its packed with lots of good vitamins and minerals.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Jim ,my old fella asthmatic ,so got to be wary ,Rough Tough ex Royal Marine ( Bootneck ) ,yes he should question his dr .hey but he does beautiful Cross stitching for ex Royal .Iron never gave that a thought .Thanks will pass that on to him. Worth passing by his dr .

• Like Like x 1
    14. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      It wouldnt suprise me if many here suffer from this condition, since both this and tinnitus suggests that there is something wrong with the central nervous system.

• Like Like x 3
    16. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Think I've only had it maybe 2 times but I think tiredness plays a part to it also ,be interesting as to what others say .One more complaint to T ,husband 30 yrs with T to .
      Will show him what you placed Jim ,let him have a read ,Good find .X

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I went to the doctors today about it. She looked confused and concerned because of my age. She basically things it's depression and anxiety. Made me fill some form in about mood and stuff. My legs are just weird and moving all the time. :(

18. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lisa Robinson,

It could be due to anxiety, or it could be that yours is hereditary. Have you had restless legs for a long time, or has it been since your tinnitus began?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      2 months now ive had it and my mum says she has the same feelings.

20. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Has it progressed during those 2 months or has it been stable? Ive noticed some mornings when I just lay half asleep, that I move my toes back and forth. Do you get this with your toes aswell? Could this be some form of RLS or a beginning stage?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      It's got worse. Like they ache and bad at night. I tingle a lot too. Jerking at night can be annoying.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I've tried this out today about half hour ago. Hope it helps.

23. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      it's help a little :( still feel restless and ache, do I maybe need to do this for a little longee for it to work or is it a right away thing?

25. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, it's not a right-away thing. It's gradual, and subtle. I haven't found anything that acts quickly to stop restless legs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Oh ok. I will still carry on. I also found tiger balm helps. Going to my one sleep magnesium spray oil for it tomorrow, has good reviews it works.

27. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Did the doctor at least order a blood test of any kind? Such as a test for iron deficiency Anemia? If your doctor didn't have a blood test done, you should insist on one.

Earlier in the thread I posted a link to an article about iron deficiency as being one of the causes for RLS . Did you at least even read it? I also posted earlier in the thread that a simple 18 mg iron pill completely cured my RLS years ago.

You could purchase a bottle of inexpensive iron pills and try them for a couple of weeks just to see if your symptoms become less severe. I wouldn't recommend going above 18 mg long term.

• Like Like x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I've had blood test and Iron is all good.

• Like Like x 1
    29. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      I had this when I began taking zoloft for a couple of weeks and my anxiety was off the chart at the time.
      I would tend to agree it's anxiety that's the likely culprit. When I began to calm down it stopped and I haven't had it since.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Hoping mine goes then. Nearly 4 weeks of zoloft and not gone yet.