Resveratrol Reported to Protect From Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Research News' started by mock turtle, Mar 4, 2013.

1. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
    2. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      What brand is yours Erik?

3. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Oh, and the Biotivia one is Trans-Resveratrol.

4. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      The one used in the experiments is Biotivia though! How long have you been taking it?

6. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      does anyone know how taking a handful of blueberries or grapes or a glass of grape juice compares in terms of dosage?

7. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      If you're going to try this joejunior, I'd suggest getting the supplements. You would probably have to eat quite a bit of any of those foods to get an equivalent amount of active compounds out of the deal. I'm not saying stop the blupberries and grapes... a healthy lifestyle is good for you of course.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Q: I was wondering if one gets the same benefits of resveratrol by eating red grapes as from drinking red wine? If so, how many red grapes would one need to eat to get the comparable amounts in a glass of red wine?--Ernest
      A: According to the Linus Pauling Institute, the micronutrient research center at Oregon state University, one cup of red table grapes provides between 0.24 and 1.25 milligrams of resveratrol, similar to the amount of the compound in a 5 ounce glass of red wine, which provides between 0.30 and 1.07 mg of resveratrol. However, some question whether or not drinking wine and eating grapes are effective ways to consume resveratrol. David Sinclair, who coauthored a study on the therapeutic potential of resveratrol, published in the June 2006 issue of Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, says, "It has been estimated from animal studies you would have to drink 1,000 bottles of wine to have a therapeutic effect, i.e., to treat a disease such as diabetes." He adds, "that said, perhaps small doses over decades might have a long-term health benefit."

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/Health-QA-Do-Table-Grapes-Have-Resveratrol_3635

9. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I have been taking it for a couple of months. Hasn't really affected my T, but I play a lot of sports (5x a week) and I think it helps my body with that.

10. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      a 1000 bottles of red wine over what time period Markku? I'm sure I've already done that! Plus, I was full of red wine when my injury occurred (the noise trauma) and it didnt protect me against that :(

11. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      At one sitting/during 24 hours I suppose.

"a 5 ounce glass of red wine, which provides between 0.30 and 1.07 mg of resveratrol."
      -> 1000x 5 ounce-glasses -> between 300-1007 mg of resveratrol.

5 ounce -> about 148 milliliters
      Common wine bottle is 750 milliliters

5000 ounces of red wine contains the aforementioned 300-1007 mg of resveratrol...

Which translates to about 197 bottles (750 ml) of red wine.

Thus... you would need to drink an unbelievable amount of red wine (almost 200 bottles) to get between 300-1007 mg of resveratrol?!?! You currently get 500 mg of Resveratrol from ONE Biotivia capsule :)

1000 bottles would be about 1500 - 5000mg of Resveratrol.

Well, doesn't really matter, all of the studies have been done with such dosages that it just isn't plausible to get that amount of Resveratrol from drinking red wine. One 750 ml bottle of red wine only has like 1,5 - 5mg of Resveratrol, which might be insufficient for therapeutic effects, like the article says...

"that said, perhaps small doses over decades might have a long-term health benefit."
      Who knows? In your case it didn't seem to protect from damage, but maybe from something else... Or who's to say: maybe your hearing loss would be greater if you hadn't been a wine drinker?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the resveratrol reverted some of the tinnitus/hearing loss (I remember you don't have that much hearing loss, but still).

Only time will tell...

12. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      That's it, how do I know it didnt protect me some? But, if not for the amount of it I'd consumed THAT night I would've moved away from the band as I knew it was too loud. I dont think about that too much these days though.

It would indeed be wonderful if the Resveratrol reversed the hearing loss but, according to the experiments, it would take 10-15 years to do it! I could maybe shorten that by drinking loads more red wine!

Actually, alcohol causes a temporary threshold shift in the hearing so probably not a good idea. I'm quitting it completely next week to see if it helps the T.

13. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      I think I'll stick to my fruit for now. Apparently its in chocolate too.

Too many people get tinnitus from a night out - when the worst you would expect is a rotten hangover the next day.

14. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I know. Just an example of how alcohol impairs your judgement. But the venues shouldnt be allowed to have it so loud.

15. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      True- thats how i got my tinnitus too. I hadn't much to drink though that night.

16. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Did you know the music was too loud? In my case I did and I was so very, very close to turning around and walking to the back of the room (which was wasy to do) but I just didnt do it. Its been hard to come to terms with that. Not sure I have but I'm further along with it.

17. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      Yes it was too loud for comfort - way way too loud - but I didnt know what the implications could be so I dont blame myself . I too was close to turning around and leaving the venue, not because I thought I might get Tand H but because It was miserable being subjected to that volume on my evening off. I didnt know about T and H. Did you know the possible implications of staying?

I cant say I knew anything about T and H, perhaps if I could see casualties walking around with earplugs on the high street I would have been more careful, but as far as I can see I am the only person I know or see who carries around earplugs and has to use them. Besides people here that is

18. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Bad luck for you too then. I was trying to think whether I knew exactly that loud noise caused T. I dont think I did. I knew what T was but I dont think I'd ever read how people get it. I knew that loud music could cause ear damage sort of. So, I dont think I did know that it would cause T and I certainly didnt know that it could happen in one sitting as it were.

I can still see myself almost turning around when we got there to the front. Turning around as I've done several times in there in the past, but not this once. I dont 'go there' in my mind very often now. No point is there?

19. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      No point. I might have had a vague idea but nothing more than that, I thought I was quite well informed in general but clearly not. In any case you think that pick up an injury and give it a few weeks and you get better. Doesnt work that way with hearing though. I was in a club , no band , I had to be persuaded to go along after an evening out - I never had been to that venue before and I had rarely been to a club, though I had gone to music venues time to time. The place was too loud all round.

20. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Bad luck then like mine. I always thought tinnitus would build up so you would know you were doing something wrong and stop. I didnt know that it could just all happen at once whammo! Like we've said though, no point in dwelling on the actual event, what is, is.

21. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      This weather is something else isnt it? I wish Spring ( and the noise that goes with it) would hurry up! I guess you must be snowed in in Yorkshire, we even have it down here in sunny London!

I discovered some presentations here, the physics meets physioolgy one says some good things about anti-oxidants and red wine. THey are from 2010 so things may have moved on a bit. They might be a bit long

http://www.khri.med.umich.edu/news/lectures.php

22. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I know, what is this white-out?! Its really deep up here. Its drifted all up my front door! I just dont need to be trapped indoors with this noise!

Thanks for the link. I shall read tonight. I have read good things about anti-oxidants too. I bought 'Antioxidant Formula' by Body Language Vitamin Company as it was saying they are the best for T. I've since run out and cant buy any more until I get back into work.

23. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      just about an inch here but we're southern softies down here! havent stepped outside all day and dont intend to.

I think those lectures might be a bit much for a satuday night. Looks like that evidence is stacking up for resverstarol and antioxidants like vit c and b.looks like they will crack that one soon, a bit longer for regeneration though hopefully that'll take off sometime in the not too distant future given all the progress.

24. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      We've got six inches!! It is absolutely freezing too. I hate staying in all day (used to love it) as there;s no break from the noise, you know.

I;ve got it on my list to read those links of yours. Also some links of Jazz's. I'll have to have a T Research day soon. I dont tend to bother with any research now, I exhausted myself in the last 8 months and dont seem to have much appetite for it now. Thats the Pregabalin effect I think :)

There's a lot of good in anti-inflammatories too. I like the look of Wobenzyme and did buy and use one bottle. Its very expensive though. Its supposed to bring down imflammation in the body, and hopefully the inner ear.

25. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      Do you keep ambient noise going, like the radio and TV? Are you fing pregabalin useful?

Just had a peek out the window and we have only a sprinkling of snow down here, though I am sure its freezing

26. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      A sprinkling?!! We have about a foot of it (I think that's about 30cm in metric I think :))

Yep, almost always have noise. I used to play Classic FM on the laptop but found my T didnt like it. Kept competing and it jsut wasnt right. Then I found 'Chill-out music' you know like the Lounge type stuff and that is good for me. It gives good coverage, no quiet bits at all, and it is actually relaxing if I can manage to get my mind off the T.There's something about the beat of that type of music that the body seems to relax to.

Then, in the evening its TV. I find that harder because the TV noise is far away and the T noise is very close so I seem to hear the T over the top of the TV. Not that its actually louder than the TV, its closer and so seems louder. I could get headphones but I dont want to just yet. I want to try to habituate.

I've had a really good reaction to Pregabalin. Its an excellent anxiolytic and doesnt have the tolerance building aspect to it that the Benzos do so I should be able to keep on this same dose and still get the same effects. But, it has done nothing to lessen the noise, which I was hoping it would.

Hope no-one minds us hijacking the Resveratrol thread with talk of snow!

27. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      I find If I have some background noise like a radio going and or the washing machine in the next room it helps with watching TV - i have a fan heater going as well - I suppose it all helps but I can usually hear my T above the TV - after I first got T in 01 I habituated after a few years, now I have it louder. Had a walk - freezing and quiet, its better at home! Yesterday I didnt venture out, just ordered a nice takeaway in and watched a movie. Good that you dont build tolerance to pregabalin. I did endless relaxation exercises when I first got T.

28. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Well the relaxation exercises thing is supposed to help isnt it?

I am going to try the heavier background noise when I watch TV. Have several things going on in different rooms. Sod it if it breaks the rule of you must be able to hear the T at all times to habituate it. I need some TV watching relaxation in the evenings and if haing lots of ambient noise is how to do it then so be it.

I went for a walk in the thick of the snow and it was very windy too. Us Northerners know how to cope in these Artic conditions :)

29. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      Yes relaxation did help make the stress more bareable but it was no picnic. I was scared of taking medication though maybe I should have. No harm in having extra ambient noise when you are watching TV, you need to give yourself a break . Sounds dreadful up there, brave of you to get out for a walk in those Artic conditions.I just walked up the high street and found a cafe!

30. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes, 'Relaxation' and 'Tinnitus' seem to be opposites. What relaxation did you use? I've got a muscle tensing cd and it did work on the body.