Resveratrol Reported to Protect From Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Research News' started by mock turtle, Mar 4, 2013.

1. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      "Resveratrol, a compound found in red wine and red grapes, has long been hailed for its antioxidants -- and now, a new animal study shows it could also protect against the harmful biological effects of hearing loss.
      The study, conducted in rats, shows that resveratrol could have protective powers against hearing-loss-inducing noise. The findings are published online in the journal Otolarnygology-Head and Neck Surgery.
      "Resveratrol is a very powerful chemical that seems to protect against the body's inflammatory process as it relates to aging, cognition and hearing loss," study researcher Michael D. Seidman, the director of the Division of Otologic/Neurotologic Surgery at Henry Ford Hospital, said in a statement.
      For the study, researchers specifically looked at how resveratrol affected proteins known to play a role in the body's inflammation and cell signaling -- COX-2 and reactive oxygen species, respectively. They found that when rats were exposed to extremely loud noise, the COX-2 protein expression went up.
      But when the rats were given the resveratrol, this protein expression was inhibited and oxygen species formation decreased. Plus, the rats experienced less hearing loss afterward."
      resveratrol is found in red wine and the skins of red grapes
      best wishes
      mock turtle

• Like Like x 2
    2. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      What a coincidence, I was just looking into Resveratrol. Its been proved to prevent hearing loss due to noise exposure in rats and 'they' (Dr. Seidman I think) are saying that they think it could also reverse hearing loss. He was saying along with Acetyl-l-carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid. I've actually emailed him earlier to see if he has researched it further.

Think I'm gonna buy some.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I take resveratrol daily.

• Like Like x 1
    4. exodus
      Cold

exodus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008
      hi calin
      any improvment with it?wich one are using?

thanks

5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hi exodus. Nice to see you!

I have been taking it for some time for general health reasons... not necessarily for tinnitus. My grandfather wore hearing aids so I count blessings as far a major hearing loss. I don't have anything major in that area based on my audiology tests. I do notice a slight loss in high pitch ranges, but I guess the techs considerate within normal ranges.

I get most of my supplements from Swanson (on line ) as they have a huge inventory to select from and much cheaper in prices.

6. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      Based on initial results, Dr. Seidman says a nutraceutical with a resveratrol-based component may possibly hold the potential to not only prevent, but reverse hearing loss in certain circumstances for soldiers. This research is based on animal models, but will soon be tested with humans, to see if a pill could soon be developed to prevent acoustic trauma in troops.
      In addition, Dr. Seidman will highlight new research on tinnitus, a chronic ringing of the head or ears that affects more than 50 million patients.
      A study co-authored by Susan Bowyer, Ph.D., senior bioscientific researcher at Henry Ford Hospital, found that an imaging technique called magnetoencephalography (MEG) can determine the site of perception of tinnitus in the brain, which could in turn allow physicians to target the area with electrical or chemical therapies to lessen symptoms.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yeah, I saw that. I also read where he said that it would be a compound based on Resveratrol and Acetyl-l-Carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. I want to know where he is with the research and what ratio of these three substances is needed. Like I said I've emailed and will track him down if he doesnt reply!

I knew they would be spending their time looking at prevention (the university in Leicester research on potassium channels is also about prevention) rather than 'cure', at least initially. Makes sense for them to be able to give soldiers something to stop it happening. Does nothing for us though.

8. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      i suppose its a bit after the event but might help prevent further damage.

it would be good to know what dosage is benefical ?

in the meantime i'll try to eat more blueberries and grapes !

9. Aisling

Aisling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/9/12
      It's good to know this. When I went to a lady that does TRT she told me not to drink wine or eat cheese because it makes tinnitus worse. I eat loads of cheese and it doesn't affect me, so I think I'll start drinking red wine again mmm.. Yummy

Louise like you I am afraid they will work more on prevention rather than cure :-(

10. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      I think part of the benefit to red wine is also the relaxing effect from moderate consumption. I know that it supposedly takes a large amount of wine the reap any benefits from the resveratrol, but the calming effect may help as well.

I bought some acetyl--carnitine and took it for a few days. I thought it made my head buzz, but may try it again now that I have stopped NAC. Still buzzing, but not too bad. Will post if I try again and let you know the effect.

I eat cheese with little impact to T.

TTFN!

11. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes it could help any further decline through aging or inadventent noise exposure also if youre taking drugs that are suspected ototoxic it may help negate the effects of those. So, not useless to us but why arent they concentrating on what to do once someone already has T!

I havent heard back from Henry Ford & Seidman yet but I will give them a bit longer before I start tracking then down....

I've ordered the Resveratrol today! Will be getting the Acetyl-l-carnitine & Alpha-lipoic-Acid when I know the ratio of the dose.

12. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yep, there seems to be a lot of work around prevention :( Maybe its easier to prevent than cure :(

Alcohol seems to different effects on peoples T, for some it quietens it and other makes it worse. Its a glutamate antagonist so I can see why it could quieten it but then again is also causes a temporary threashold shift in hearing (makes your hearing worse temporarily) and so Im not sure its good for us. Dunno, I still have my big glass every night :)

13. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yep, there seems to be a lot of work around prevention :( Maybe its easier to prevent than cure :(

Alcohol seems to different effects on peoples T, for some it quietens it and other makes it worse. Its a glutamate antagonist so I can see why it could quieten it but then again is also causes a temporary threashold shift in hearing (makes your hearing worse temporarily) and so Im not sure its good for us. Dunno, I still have my big glass every night :)

14. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure

15. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I drink when I go out, not much 1-3 drinks on the weekends mainly. It does cause my T to spike but usually it is lower in the morning. I still eat healthy but I decided not to restrict foods anymore based on my T, only on whether it is good for me or not or whether I want to eat it or not. I can't let the T decide what I do and what I can eat anymore.

I've be taking Resveratrol for a while, doesn't help with T.

16. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I wonder if it will help with the hearing loss if you take it long term though?

I admire your attitude on the eating front. You wont eat MSG though will you?! :)

17. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hi Louise. Good question. I have been taking Resveratrol for several months now and so I have no idea if has helped my hearing. My hearing was good before T and tested after T it was still good. My T is still there so it hasn't helped that. As for MSG, I tend to avoid MSG foods as much as possible anyway because it usually in the worst foods. I rarely eat fast foods and am very selective in restaurants. Luckily I have a wife who likes to prepare almost everything from scratch so that helps keep the bad out.

18. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Well, I started taking it this week. I also got an email back from Dr. Seidman who did the study that showed it protected against t and hearing loss if taken before noise exposure. He gave me a load of information to look up about it but I havent had time yet. He seemed really pleased that someone took an interest in it! I will post any info from reading the stuff he sent to me.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Louise, could you paste in to this thread what that doctor had to say about this? I'll look into checking it out as well.

Thanks

21. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Hudson, yes I will. I havent had chance to look at what he sent yet but I'll post it on here anyway. Itll be later on today.

22. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Well, I've been taking the resveratrol, alpha lipolic acid, acetyle-l-carnitine, a bioflavanoid, vitamin E, an "ear circulation improvement over the counter pill" and magnesium. I'm going to see if things stabilize a bit more with some time using these supplements.

• Like Like x 1
    23. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      I have conciously added resveratrol to my diet on a daily basis, just by eating a few bluberries, grape juice etc. Not expecting miracles though!

24. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Resveratrol seems to be proven for protecting against hearing loss. Its not been proven yet for being able to reverse hearing loss I dont think. However, that's what its thought it can do - reverse hearing loss. It would take a while though I would imagine.

25. oatsey

oatsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      did it actually say that? reverse hearing loss?

26. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It said 'they' thought it should be able to reverse loss but no testing has been done. It said Resveratrol along with Acetyl-l-carnitine & Alpha-lipoic-Acid. I bet you'd have to wait a while though :(

• Like Like x 1
    27. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      Hi Louise, i wish there was a combination of pills to restore hearing or reverse tinnitus.Did Seidman think was possible?

28. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Louise: which brand of Resveratrol do you take? There are several available, and it seems the "purity" of the stuff varies a lot.

For example,
      Healthy Origins, Resveratrol, Maximum Potency, 300 mg, 150 Veggie Caps
      "Polygonum cuspidatum Extract (Root) (50% Natural Trans-Resveratrol - 300 mg) Amount per serving: 600 mg"

vs.

Biotivia, Transmax, Resveratrol, 500 mg, 60 Capsules
      Trans-resveratrol Standardized 98% Proprietary Extract (Amount per serving: 510mg)

It seems Biotivia would be the best (?) brand of Resveratrol. It is expensive though... but the 98% looks good :)

But taking two caps of worth of Healthy Origins' Resveratrol would yield 600 mg of Resveratrol compared to Biotivia's 510 mg (per 1 capsule).

Biotivia is quite a bit more expensive, but I have no clue whether it is worth the extra price.

• Informative Informative x 1
    29. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes he does think its possible. But, he said that in the animal model the best results were seen in 6 months and that equates to 10 - 15 years in humans. He has a book and a 'system' which he has patented and said that some people have seen a reduction in the 'progression of hearing loss' in one year on the supplements but that others had got worse and concluded in saying that there is no human data to verify anything. So, I think we can forget Resveratrol other than to protect against future hearing loss (still worthwhile).

• Like Like x 1
    30. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Well Markku, for me it has to be Biotivia. That is the brand that the trials are done with because it gives the highest amount and is the best absorbed by the body. Thats the one I bought. I'm not taking it at present though as the T in my right ear is getting worse and worse and I wanted to see what was doing it. The answer is probably nothing I'm eating (unless its the Pregabalin) as it probably wouldve just happened anyway, like many other people who have had T start in one ear and then also start in the other. What a pleasant, lovely condition this is :( :( :(