Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — Petition to the ATA

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by valeri, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      As I think it was requested, attached are the Retigabine Forms results (as of November 21, 2014) in CSV format.

Attached Files:

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Markku, I apologize for not being clearer. (Lots going on in these threads.) I am looking for one or two unambiguous sentences summarizing Tinnitus Talk's anecdotal experience.

Once I have that from you, I will write up a draft of the proposed petition for comments.

I feel I need to add that I will not be signing it; I am just complying with the boards' general desire to get moving on this project.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

3. Sorry my post was at the same time as yours. I am taking you at face value and guess you are a real Dr /GP if so you must know the dangers involved? I know people in the states like to sue people. but if you took the risk to endorse this I hope you have good insurance?

4. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I'm not endorsing anything. Indeed, I said I myself would not sign the petition.

Moreover I do not believe a retigabine study will ever be done regardless of how many names appear on the petition. Given the side-effect profile of the drug at the doses needed to possibly mitigate tinnitus, there's not an IRB (Institutional Review Board) in the country that would approve.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      unambiguous
      ʌnamˈbɪɡjʊəs/
      adjective
      1. not open to more than one interpretation.
        "instructions should be unambiguous"
      How realistic it is to ask for unambiguous sentence when it comes to trobalt being used for tinnitus?
      If there is anything unambiguous about trobalt and tinnitus we wouldn't be asking for a further trial/study!
      Please correct me if I'm wrong, with English being my second language I may have lost the meaning of the request:)

6. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      The petition would ideally result in a double-blind randomized prospective study funded by ATA. (I do not think that will ever happen because of the IRB issues I mentioned above.) What I am asking for in order to prepare a draft of such a petition is a clear statement summarizing our anecdotal experience.

Stepping back for just a minute, I hope folks following this discussion are beginning to get an appreciation of the futility of this endeavor and why @Markku has been pessimistic from the start, appropriately so in my opinion.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Why don't we just forget it then?
      That's easier and it will keep ATA and all other broads happy.
      Meanwhile we can continue to suffer, wallow in our misery and hope for almighty to come up with something for us.
      No more comments from me, unless you need few hundred signatures I'm out of this back and forth discussion:mad:

With this much pessimism no wonder every other attempt failed!

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      ATA will be happy when there's a cure for tinnitus.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

9. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Unfortunately we are a few years away from a cure. Autifony starts its trials this month and God speed to them. The folks who are or have been taking trobalt have done so at their own risk and weighed up the risk and reward element themselves. With this condition you are essentially alone. We are all in a battle against time to save our lives and sanity. It is no joking matter. Having T is an every man for himself scenario whereby each individual strives to find a therapy or treatment that will allow them to prolong their lives. We all have opinions based on our own situation in terms of what will work best if anything. At this point and for those with distressing T it is not really an option to wait for years while the cure is discovered either by accident or design. We are hanging off the side of a cliff now and we are grappling with whatever tools we can get our hands on to either climb back up or safely glide down. The reality is though that for most of us the solution will be to continue hanging on until our fingers can no longer take the strain. I for one am in admiration for those that take the decision to jump when the below tide seems to swell and maximise their chance of survival while they still have the strength to partially determine their fate.

• Like Like x 3
    10. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Here are the steps to create a petition

1-Researching Your Cause:

- Verify that a cause for petition falls under your local government’s jurisdiction
      -Find out how many signatures you need
      -Learn how people must sign the petition for it to be valid
      -Research your topic so you understand the various positions fully
      -Consider which medium for circulating your petition is ideal

2-Writing the Petition:

-Develop a very specific statement that identifies what you want people to support
      -Make your petition brief
      -Add body paragraphs supporting your first, declarative paragraph

-Read over your summary carefully
      -Edit your petition for spelling and grammar errors
      -Get someone else to read your petition, preferably a friend or relative who is uninformed about the situation

3 -Creating the Signer’s Form

- Create a signer’s form on a separate sheet of paper
      -Prepare the form using a spreadsheet program
      -Photocopy or print multiple copies of your original

4-Promoting Your Petition:

- Use the power of e-mail
      - Create an online presence for your petition
      -Talk to people in person
      -Get media coverage
      -Be polite

11. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      why dont we just create one petition and direct it to the World Health Organisation as it is a global problem?

If we approach govts separately then it will take for ever and each petition will have its own number of signatures.
      We need to join together globally which is not impossible these days is it? and get ALL the signatures on ONE petition.
      Just my thoughts on this.....

For example: https://www.change.org/p/world-heal...health-act4iraq-and-release-birth-defect-data

and https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petitio...nquiry_about_the_safety_of_medical_mesh/?pv=0

and
      https://www.communityrun.org/petitions/worldwide-rsd-crps-awareness-campaign-1

and
      http://www.tnnme.com

or this one
      https://www.boehringer-ingelheim.co...eases/2012/22_may_2012_1_mission1million.html

The WHO is a political organisation. Look how quickly they got the ebola treatment pushed forward - probably cos govts feared the financial effects if this disease spread globally. Look how much money has now been given to the ebola problem.

Look also how many neurological ailments have no cure and are basically being ignored.

• Genius Genius x 1
    12. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      I am not reporting significant but VERY significant results.

• Like Like x 4
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is great to know. We got so much into talking about side effects on the main thread I think many people forgot that the beneficial results are not placebo, and in several cases have been good enough to be (if you don't mind such a dramatic phrase) life-altering.

• Agree Agree x 5
    14. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Excellent summary. Keep up the good work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Just some perspective here ...

A number of individuals on this board are of the firm belief that the effect of Retigabine on tinnitus is pharmacological and not placebo. If we knew that the effect were pharmacological and not placebo (i.e., if the drug were actually tested against a placebo in a properly blinded study), then physicians would willingly prescribe it for their patients off label. That's the whole point of this thread. Or at least I thought it was.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

16. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    17. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      Doing a medical study on any drug is not a easy task. It can be done but it would be expensive given all the things that would needed. Also, when drugs become available as generic (I not sure if this drug is or not), the original manufacturer generally does not bother spending money on trials themselves.

18. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      I doubt it. But if they really want to, they could make a new drug by tweaking it and saying it is for tinnitus. They would have to go through the motions to try and get it approved. I think it all comes down to if they can really prove it will work on tinnitus and if it is worth the money for them to bother.

19. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      But arent the researchers in Pittsburgh already doing something like that? They are trying to tweak Retigabine so it have lesser side effects and they talked about treating acute T with it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...TINNITUS-reduces-hyperactivity-cells-ear.html

20. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      I just looked at the the linked article. It says that "The researchers found that mice that were treated with retigabine immediately after noise exposure did not develop tinnitus". Looks like they were saying it could work to prevent tinnitus from happening. It does look like a step in the right direction. My thoughts are still that any calming of T in the future will end up coming from a pill. But......someone posted on the comments that "These drugs make you feel so ill. They take your memory, make you dopy an sluggish. I wouldn't wish them on anyone"

On another note, are you any relation to Frank J. Lapidus?

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Forgive me all for not keeping up on this. But isn't Autifony already supposed to be like a more specific retigabine? If so, then why exactly do we need a study on retigabine if we've got Autifony? I haven't done much research, but based on the "bits and pieces" I have read, it sounds like retigabine is supposed to be the inferior version of Autifony.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah agree. I posted that earlier in this thread.

23. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      OK. No need to move ahead with the Retigabine petition. You'll get no argument there from me.

Kindly let me know if you wish to revisit this issue at some point in the future.

Best to all -

Dr. Stephen Nagler

24. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I don't think you get it, with all due respect.
      Right now, ......right NOW - we have nothing. Zero, zilch, nada.
      What we do have is an APPROVED epilepsy drug (Trobalt) that reduces tinnitus in 80-90% of people.
      If they tweak or shmeak the drug (which could take years), then its no longer approved and it has to go through aaaaaaaaallllllllllll the clinical phases.
      Autifony, may or may NOT be approved. So what do we have in the end?
      A BIG FAT NOTHING.
      So let's turn Trobalt's label from just epilepsy, to epilepsy and TINNITUS.

Am I clear or need more clarification.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @dan

If that wasn't clear than I don't know how much clearer anyone can make it:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Aah okay, then I get it. I thought the dudes in Pittsburgh actually was doing what you guys wanted someone to do.

27. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Ok, got it. Well, I think the best course of action would be to try to convince a doctor to prescribe it, perhaps by using Dr Nagler's advice. That'd be much faster and probably easier than trying to petition for it to get a double blind test and then rebranded to help tinnitus. And even if petitioning for it to be tested worked, what if it fails?

Basically I think your time would be better spent doctor hopping until you find one that you can convince, rather than going this route.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Can someone direct me to the Rotigabine study/file online that claims it helps Tinnits so that I may print it and take it to my doctor? Thanx a bunch.

29. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Numerous mentions on the Retigabine thread and even a pdf file I think of the best one. It may take some searching but it's all in there.
      Note though that this is an "epilepsy" drug and the tinnitus aspects are "inferential". Hence the need to make them less of an inference by trying the stuff with more people willing to give it a go - and hopefully, with more of a 'controlled' element, etc., etc.

If such a "study" does not get off the ground then the sheer weight of numbers may make somewhat of a dent in acceptance that something is indeed going on if the majority of trialees get positive "tinnitus effects". The larger the number (N sample) the more unlikely effects can be discounted purely as "noise" or placebo.
      However, as with any drug, do fully familiarize yourself with the risks and cautions.

Best of luck with your doc. Zimichael

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    30. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      How have people been getting retigabine? Did they really convince their docs to prescribe it?